The Buffalo Wave

PASabreFan

It seems like every couple years, something cool catches on in a crowd in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Rats in Florida. Whiteouts. Fans singing along with the anthem.

Could The Wave be the big thing this time around, and could it be right here in Buffalo?

Not sure if they're going to hand out anything to the fans to start the playoffs, but wouldn't it be cool if the Sabres or some radio station or whoever printed up blue and gold placards of some sort, so when the wave is going around, it's a blue and gold tidal wave?

I think it's exactly what that building needs in the playoffs. Whether it's out of intensity or just massive neurotic tendencies, but HSBC tends to get very uptight. What a way to blow off some steam a couple of minutes into the third!

And when they win the Cup, it gets passed into the crowd and handed from section to section, around and around and around...

I'm going to bed and keep on dreaming.

As I was watching the game tonight and noticing the "wave" followed by some elegant Bionce (Single Ladies I believe it's called) while a camera pan of the crowd caught some douchebags dancing to it, I loudly shouted out, "Jesus ###### Christ, act like you've been there before!!".

I respectfully hope you are wrong, sorry.

I love to yell, scream and stand up and cheer at the games, but the wave going on during play is f***ing aggravating. If Buffalo fans saw the wave going on during play at a game in Tampa, Florida or Carolina, they would be mocking them for being dumb hockey fans who don't know any better.

I'm all for the intensity and enthusiasm, PA, but I'm tired of the wave. It's good to get the casual crowd going to have something to do, but I can't say I'm into it anymore. In fact, I wasn't into it anymore 10 years ago.

I'd rather see the Sabres bring back their own version of the Whammy than see the wave.

I was there on Saturday, that wave lasted a long time and after it being gone for quite a number of years, it was kinda fun....... :beer:

I was there too and have to agree. Yeah it's old and everything, but it has been a while and everyone was really into it. I sit in the lower bowl and I was surprised how many people were getting out of their seats.

I love to yell, scream and stand up and cheer at the games, but the wave going on during play is f***ing aggravating. If Buffalo fans saw the wave going on during play at a game in Tampa, Florida or Carolina, they would be mocking them for being dumb hockey fans who don't know any better.

I don't think I'd have a problem with fans doing the wave during play especially when we're whitewashing the other team.. gotta keep people interested!

It seems like every couple years, something cool catches on in a crowd in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Rats in Florida. Whiteouts. Fans singing along with the anthem.

Could The Wave be the big thing this time around, and could it be right here in Buffalo?

Not sure if they're going to hand out anything to the fans to start the playoffs, but wouldn't it be cool if the Sabres or some radio station or whoever printed up blue and gold placards of some sort, so when the wave is going around, it's a blue and gold tidal wave?

I think it's exactly what that building needs in the playoffs. Whether it's out of intensity or just massive neurotic tendencies, but HSBC tends to get very uptight. What a way to blow off some steam a couple of minutes into the third!

That can't hurt.. something unique would be good, since the whiteout has caught on almost everywhere. Maybe hand out yellow pompoms to people in even-numbered sections and blue pompoms to the odd-numbered sections, that would be a pretty nifty wave.

And when they win the Cup, it gets passed into the crowd and handed from section to section, around and around and around...

I'm going to bed and keep on dreaming.

I've never seen such positive thoughts from you. ;-)

It was a lot of fun--looked like it started in section 314 or thereabouts. We were wondering if it was going to catch on, and trying to remember the last time we had seen one. And a minute later, we were in it.

It was a lot of fun--looked like it started in section 314 or thereabouts. We were wondering if it was going to catch on, and trying to remember the last time we had seen one. And a minute later, we were in it.

The last one I remember at a Sabres game was during a long break after someone broke the glass. Even RJ was doing it and it was hilarious.

I was there Sat and Wed. IMO, Saturday's was better, we had more goals, the game was pretty much put away. Wed, not so much. It was still early, we weren't up by much (in Sabres terms).

Kinda like chanting the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 we want five too early. You just don't do it. Premature fanaticism.

I'm all for the intensity and enthusiasm, PA, but I'm tired of the wave. It's good to get the casual crowd going to have something to do, but I can't say I'm into it anymore. In fact, I wasn't into it anymore 10 years ago.

I'd rather see the Sabres bring back their own version of the Whammy than see the wave.

Way back when, back in grad school days, we used to get a counter wave going which would pretty much kill both waves when they interfered w/ each other. There'd be 5 or six people on either side trying to keep it going and the rest just let 'em die. B-)

I hate the friggin' wave. :angry:

Archived