Myers jumps ahead of Tavares!

sabre snipe

After getting two points in tonight's game against the Bruins, Tyler Myers jumped ahead of John Tavares to claim 2nd place in the points standings for rookies....who would've guessed? not to mention only 7 points behind the leader Matt Duchene, yet with a better +/-; as a defenseman....this kid is unbelievable.

After getting two points in tonight's game against the Bruins, Tyler Myers jumped ahead of John Tavares to claim 2nd place in the points standings for rookies....who would've guessed? not to mention only 7 points behind the leader Matt Duchene, yet with a better +/-; as a defenseman....this kid is unbelievable.

You could certainly make a case for Duchene to receive the Calder...but to me, the obvious choice is Myers. The guy has had an absolutely profound effect on the Sabres, and a great statistical season to boot.

Myers will never carry the star power of a 50 goal scorer like Crosby or Ovechkin (defenders never do), but I predict that in a couple years he'll be a top-5 player in the league.

Paul Hamilton was saying last night he didn't think Myers had much of a chance at the Calder. He said he deserved it.

:blink:

Maybe I've been spoiled with RJ & HN giving him the award over the past few weeks and the Versus guys drooling over him last night, but what's Hamilton hearing to think he doesn't have much of a chance?

Duchene still in form or has his play tailed off?

Howard has dragged the Redwings into the playoffs, and he is a very strong candidate.

Rask has some very good numbers too, and merits consideration.

I'd still give it to Myers, he has come in and played well at a position considered to be the hardest to play for rookies.

Here's a list of past winners

Maybe I've been spoiled with RJ & HN giving him the award over the past few weeks and the Versus guys drooling over him last night, but what's Hamilton hearing to think he doesn't have much of a chance?

l think he said he thought Duchene would get a lot of votes out West and Myers could lose enough votes in the East. I shouldn't have brought it up -- I was only half listening. My other half was reading something.

l think he said he thought Duchene would get a lot of votes out West and Myers could lose enough votes in the East. I shouldn't have brought it up -- I was only half listening. My other half was reading something.

I'd think the opposite. The top 3 choices are Myers, Duchene and Howard. If two guys are gonna split votes, it would be the two guys from the same conference. JMO

Duchene still in form or has his play tailed off?

Howard has dragged the Redwings into the playoffs, and he is a very strong candidate.

Rask has some very good numbers too, and merits consideration.

I'd still give it to Myers, he has come in and played well at a position considered to be the hardest to play for rookies.

Yeah, my biggest concern isn't Duchene. He's been very good, but Myers is close enough in points as a defenseman that you can't say he blew him away with his output. My concern is Howard or Rask. They currently sit 4th and 2nd in save %, and 1st and 3rd in GAA in the league (not just rookies.) Either one could be in consideration with Miller for the Vezina, too.

Myers resume reads as follows:

1) barely 20 years old with no previous professional hockey experience.

2) top-pairing shutdown defenseman, logging team-leading minutes at ES and SH, and top among defensemen on the PP.

3) offensive defenseman, 5th on the team and 1st among defensemen is points, 2nd in +/-.

4) 2nd among NHL rookies in scoring, 1st (by a lot) in TOI.

Howard and Rask are both older (26 and 23, respectively), both have several years of AHL experience and both have been called up to play in the NHL before (9 games and 5 games.)

I think (hope) that the combination of offensive and defensive performance with little previous experience is enough to put Myers over the top.

Yeah, my biggest concern isn't Duchene. He's been very good, but Myers is close enough in points as a defenseman that you can't say he blew him away with his output. My concern is Howard or Rask. They currently sit 4th and 2nd in save %, and 1st and 3rd in GAA in the league (not just rookies.) Either one could be in consideration with Miller for the Vezina, too.

Myers resume reads as follows:

1) barely 20 years old with no previous professional hockey experience.

2) top-pairing shutdown defenseman, logging team-leading minutes at ES and SH, and top among defensemen on the PP.

3) offensive defenseman, 5th on the team and 1st among defensemen is points, 2nd in +/-.

4) 2nd among NHL rookies in scoring, 1st (by a lot) in TOI.

Howard and Rask are both older (26 and 23, respectively), both have several years of AHL experience and both have been called up to play in the NHL before (9 games and 5 games.)

I think (hope) that the combination of offensive and defensive performance with little previous experience is enough to put Myers over the top.

The games played is going to hurt Rask quite a bit. But also with two goalies that close to each other, that can easily split some votes. Really though, with the media circle jerk that's been going on for Myers each game, I find it hard to believe that he won't run away with the trophy.

And speaking of Rask's lack of games played. It was kind of funny listening to a lot of fans in Boston last night talking about how Rask deserves serious consideration for the Vezina. His numbers are outstanding, but the games played stat couple with the fact that Miller's been the media darling this year make that a very uphill battle.

If I were to tell you a story of two men, which would you believe.

1. A 26 year old goalie with 9 games of NHL experience backstopped Detroit to 7th/8th place in the West (Detroit, the team that has finished 1st or 2nd in the Conference every season since 2000-2001). His GAA is 2nd in the league and Save % is 4th.

2. A 19/20 year old 6'8" defenseman with no AHL or NHL experience jumped into the Buffalo Sabres lineup and lead the team's defense in points and is second on the team in +/-, lead all rookies in TOI and was second in rookie scoring. Not to mention that he plays against the league's top line EVERY night. The spark he has provided this team has helped them go from 2 years of spring golf to 1st in the NE and a possible second place in the conference.

Howard doesn't stand a chance and you can forget Duchene.

Sometimes Paul Hamilton talks just to hear the sound of his own voice. I think he might be lonely.

I believe it comes down to Howard and Myers. The fact that Howard is in his 5th season of professional hockey should work in Myers favor who is in his 1st season.

Would they take that into consideration? It's the NHL rookie of the year, not the professional hockey rookie of the year. Also, it might just work the other way with Howard getting votes because he paid his dues.

Sometimes Paul Hamilton talks just to hear the sound of his own voice. I think he might be lonely.

Yup.

Paul Hamilton needs to take the aerosol can away from his nose. He's clearly high if he thinks Myers doesn't "deserve" the Calder.

At this point, Myers has it in the bag. The kid is a phenom.

Yup.

Paul Hamilton needs to take the aerosol can away from his nose. He's clearly high if he thinks Myers doesn't "deserve" the Calder.

At this point, Myers has it in the bag. The kid is a phenom.

Hamilton DID say Myers deserved it. He said he didn't think he'd win.

Even if Hamilton's a windbag, I trust that he knows more about the award voting processes than we do.

1. A 26 year old goalie

How many voters are going to even be aware of that? One would like to think they would do their due diligence in researching the candidates, but methinks ( :D ) most will just look at points and GAA.

I trust that he knows more about the award voting processes than we do.

I believe no such thing.

Hamilton DID say Myers deserved it. He said he didn't think he'd win.

Even if Hamilton's a windbag, I trust that he knows more about the award voting processes than we do.

I believe your trust is quite misplaced. I'd sooner believe that Darcy knows what he's doing, and LQ has the best interests of the fanbase at heart.

I believe no such thing.

I'm with Inky on this. Hamilton isn't a league-level reporter. He's a flunky at a local radio station.

I'm with Inky on this. Hamilton isn't a league-level reporter. He's a flunky at a local radio station.

I wish I hadn't killed most of my brain cells for recreational purposes as I might be able to remember some of his fallacies but my jaw hits the floor weekly with some of the stuff that comes out of his pie hole.

Would they take that into consideration? It's the NHL rookie of the year, not the professional hockey rookie of the year. Also, it might just work the other way with Howard getting votes because he paid his dues.

You have to be 26 or younger. They established that rule after Sergei Makarov won the award in 1990 when he was 31 years old. I wonder why they settled on 26.

Archived