GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wonderbread

that is a great avatar - assuming it is your kid - where did you find the old Sabre jersey for his size? I can only find the Angrey Cashew in toddler sizes...

I got it in November at the team store in the arena. Can't find it online, so had to get it when we went up for the game.

Yep, it's my kid...he loves hockey...he will pretty much sit there and watch a whole game without moving.

Well, well, well, the Leafs have really been helping lately. 7 points up on the Sens and Habs with games in hand. I would give Miller another rest tomorrow and get Lalime in there. Then again, he's really only played 3 games over the last 10 days...It will be an interesting call.

Magic Numbers (ignoring ties, to clinch outright):

Division: 14

Playoffs: 12

On to Carolina for a 5p start tomorrow..

Playoffs only 10 I believe...Atlanta can only get to 95 points. In reality, it is likely no more than 5 points to a playoff spot.

Playoffs only 10 I believe...Atlanta can only get to 95 points. In reality, it is likely no more than 5 points to a playoff spot.

I couldn't be sure their score was updated on the NHL, so I went conservative. I thought it might be 10, since the numbers going into tonight were 18 and 14.

Guest Sloth

I'm not counting down the points needed for a playoff position. I'm in hopes the Sabres catch the Penguins and move into the number two spot. Screw the making the playoff shananigans. Buffalo had better have this goal in mind.

Kaleta needs a letter on his jersey.

PTR

If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty rare that a pest is named team captain. But starting next season, the A is definitely in order.

I'm not sure who you're watching out there, but Kaleta is a far, far, FAR more complete player than, say, Andrew Peters. I wouldn't call him a "skill player" but he definitely gets the most out of his ability (as opposed to some players *cough-Vanek-cough-cough* who are defined by their lack of living up to their potential. The effort he gives, game in, game out, should earn him at least an A next year. I also think you can make a case for the C because as much as any other player on the team, as Kaleta goes, so go the Sabres.

Other games tonight... on the west coast: Coyotes win the shootout over Chicago, pulling to within TWO points of the Western Conference lead. OMGWTFBBQ!

And in Vancouver: The game is still going, but after Vancouver went ahead by 2 in the first, the Wings tied it up with two goals in 5 seconds (Bertuzzi, Datsyuk) to break a Detroit record, then they went ahead with a shortie by Filpula. The Canucks aren't done yet, with a goal by Sedine (doesn't matter to me which one) in the third. Exciting game; I'm glad I've got CI.

I'm not sure who you're watching out there, but Kaleta is a far, far, FAR more complete player than, say, Andrew Peters. I wouldn't call him a "skill player" but he definitely gets the most out of his ability (as opposed to some players *cough-Vanek-cough-cough* who are defined by their lack of living up to their potential. The effort he gives, game in, game out, should earn him at least an A next year. I also think you can make a case for the C because as much as any other player on the team, as Kaleta goes, so go the Sabres.

Listen, I wasn't trying to detract from Kaleta's skills. I love the fact that he's contributed and look forward to him developing into a consistent 15-20 goal scorer.

But he's still under the umbrella of what most fans/players/coaches would consider a pest. A gritty pest, but a pest nonetheless. A guy that gets under the other team's skin. Heck, Alexander Burrows is a considered a huge pest and he's a 32 goal scorer so far this year.

All I was saying is that it's not usual for this type of player to be named captain. Just because of the way he plays the game, he's going to be injured a lot and in the penalty box a lot.

Listen, I wasn't trying to detract from Kaleta's skills. I love the fact that he's contributed and look forward to him developing into a consistent 15-20 goal scorer.

But he's still under the umbrella of what most fans/players/coaches would consider a pest. A gritty pest, but a pest nonetheless. A guy that gets under the other team's skin. Heck, Alexander Burrows is a considered a huge pest and he's a 32 goal scorer so far this year.

All I was saying is that it's not usual for this type of player to be named captain. Just because of the way he plays the game, he's going to be injured a lot and in the penalty box a lot.

Oh, he's a pest, all right. But will be be Brad May or Matthew Barnaby? That's the question, and of course, it's still an open question. Nice goal tonight. "Quirky," let's call it that, celebration, as usual.

I couldn't be sure their score was updated on the NHL, so I went conservative. I thought it might be 10, since the numbers going into tonight were 18 and 14.

What, everyone doesn't have their own updating, color coded, clinch chart?

post-1053-12691479942437_thumb.jpg

Edit: in retrospect, I should add one to each to avoid tiebreaker situations.

Sabres up by one after the second, so naturally Harry says Lindy is going to tell his team, "Win a period and win the game." Oy yo yo.

Loving the high camera angle they switched to. Every game should be viewed from that angle. That low one in Florida is just nuts. Almost as bad as the camera on one blue line in Long Island.

"Dad?!... no, that's the pilot... DAD?!!!" Love that commercial.

For some reason when I read that, a line from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome rang in my brain.."2 Men enter one man leaves"...lol

Other games tonight... on the west coast: Coyotes win the shootout over Chicago, pulling to within TWO points of the Western Conference lead. OMGWTFBBQ!

And in Vancouver: The game is still going, but after Vancouver went ahead by 2 in the first, the Wings tied it up with two goals in 5 seconds (Bertuzzi, Datsyuk) to break a Detroit record, then they went ahead with a shortie by Filpula. The Canucks aren't done yet, with a goal by Sedine (doesn't matter to me which one) in the third. Exciting game; I'm glad I've got CI.

Bite your tongue..Do you really want to give him the kiss of death as a Sabre by giving him the easy ticket out of town by jinxing him with the "c"

What, everyone doesn't have their own updating, color coded, clinch chart?

post-1053-12691479942437_thumb.jpg

Edit: in retrospect, I should add one to each to avoid tiebreaker situations.

sports club stats have the sabres chances listed as 99.97% in the playoffs and winning the division as 98%(2nd overall 25%, 3rd overall 73%)

sports club stats have the sabres chances listed as 99.97% in the playoffs and winning the division as 98%(2nd overall 25%, 3rd overall 73%)

4pts out of second with two to play, certainly puts second in play. I do agree, it feels like 3rd though.

They use either a 50/50 (i.e., flip a "coin" for every game to pick the winner) or weighted (performance measure based on full season performance) system to determine those percentages. Nice site, stop there often, but I'd like to see them add another system that weights recent performance a little bit higher.

Archived