GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wonderbread

4-4-1 since the break (if they hold on and Atlanta does the same) and they've gained 6 points on Ottawa. My god this division sucks.

To put things in perspective, if we were in the west, we'd be the 8 seed right now with Nashville and LA one point ahead of us in 6th and 7th.

Did anyone see Haley's comet the Sabres win in regulation last night?

It was enjoyable, but, like the Dallas game, I'm not taking much comfort in a win against a team that is allergic to defense.

Having said that: I liked Kennedy on the Roy/Vanek line. I thought he did much better than Kaleta did in that spot.

Also some signs of life out of TC-Pommer-Hecht but again I can't take it too seriously until they show up against a good team.

So, it's magic number time..

Playoffs (ignoring tie breaks, this is to outright clinch) - 14

Division (again ignoring ties)- 18

Poor, poor Ottawa. Did thee peak too soon? Ottawa has lost seven of eight games since the Olympic break... Cheer up Ottawa, the tonic for what ails you, a Buffalo Sabres game, will soon be here...

It was enjoyable, but, like the Dallas game, I'm not taking much comfort in a win against a team that is allergic to defense.

Well said. The biggest problem with a game like this, is the FAB 5 then believe it can be that easy against all teams and when they go up against teams that know how to play defense, they disappear.

By the way, am I the only one who was still pissed at Roy even after he scored the goal? WTF was he thinking on that pass attempt? If I was Lindy, I'd make a declaration to the team that from here on out, the player with the puck on the 2 on 1 will take the shot no matter what. Even though he missed the net, I loved the fact that Myers took the shot on an earlier 2 on 1.

Well said. The biggest problem with a game like this, is the FAB 5 then believe it can be that easy against all teams and when they go up against teams that know how to play defense, they disappear.

By the way, am I the only one who was still pissed at Roy even after he scored the goal? WTF was he thinking on that pass attempt? If I was Lindy, I'd make a declaration to the team that from here on out, the player with the puck on the 2 on 1 will take the shot no matter what. Even though he missed the net, I loved the fact that Myers took the shot on an earlier 2 on 1.

No you are not. He may put up numbers, but I just don't like that way he plays. His decisions with his passing are just horrible at times. He also put a few shots directly into the D-mans shin guards.

Also some signs of life out of TC-Pommer-Hecht but again I can't take it too seriously until they show up against a good team.

Wasn't that the only line that managed any offense against Detriot? They still count as a good team, I think.

In Roy's defense, I think the intent was to try to get Pominville the hat trick. Of course the pass attempt itself was still horrendous.

In Roy's defense, I think the intent was to try to get Pominville the hat trick. Of course the pass attempt itself was still horrendous.

Yeah I don't have much of a problem with a guy trying to set up his teamate for a hat trick when they're up 3-0 halfway through the second.

To put things in perspective, if we were in the west, we'd be the 8 seed right now with Nashville and LA one point ahead of us in 6th and 7th.

But they've played pretty well against the west. That and there'd be 8 less games against Ottawa and Atlanta if they played out there, so they'd have a few more points. :lol:

Wasn't that the only line that managed any offense against Detriot? They still count as a good team, I think.In Roy's defense, I think the intent was to try to get Pominville the hat trick. Of course the pass attempt itself was still horrendous.

The right pass, if any there was to hit Rivet who was trailing right behind. He then has either a point blank shot or a quick open pass to Pominville (was he the other forward on that 3 on 1)?

I wonder if the rest of the league noticed this game -- at least the East -- as a good example of letting a sleeping dog lie. I've noticed that most teams tend to try to put the Sabres to sleep, and it's very effective. Last night, the early hits on Butler and Kennedy seemed to get this team awakened and maybe even pissed.

Pominville slashed some dude after Pominville got put on the ice. We saw a rare sight, JJ Pommers' mouth in a snarl as he cursed someone out on the way to the bench. And an even rarer sight: a JJ Pommers hat trick.

Moral of the story: next time, go out and START some sh*t, Sabres, instead of always reacting. It'll have basically the same effect.

I liked it.

Wasn't that the only line that managed any offense against Detriot? They still count as a good team, I think.

You're right. Good call. I guess I glossed over the Detroit game because it was yet another comatose start by the Sabres.

I wonder if the rest of the league noticed this game -- at least the East -- as a good example of letting a sleeping dog lie. I've noticed that most teams tend to try to put the Sabres to sleep, and it's very effective. Last night, the early hits on Butler and Kennedy seemed to get this team awakened and maybe even pissed.

Pominville slashed some dude after Pominville got put on the ice. We saw a rare sight, JJ Pommers' mouth in a snarl as he cursed someone out on the way to the bench. And an even rarer sight: a JJ Pommers hat trick.

Moral of the story: next time, go out and START some sh*t, Sabres, instead of always reacting. It'll have basically the same effect.

I liked it.

Good post, although I detest the nickname "JJ Pommers."

Also, Kennedy really nailed somebody on either his first or 2nd shift in the 1st period. He has a real knack for going hard into a scrum and coming out with the puck.

You're right. Good call. I guess I glossed over the Detroit game because it was yet another comatose start by the Sabres.

Good post, although I detest the nickname "JJ Pommers."

Also, Kennedy really nailed somebody on either his first or 2nd shift in the 1st period. He has a real knack for going hard into a scrum and coming out with the puck.

It's my homage to sizzlemeister, who has disappeared. I fear the worst -- that those thugs from the wrong side of the tracks in East Pominville got 'im.

Archived