Could the Sabres still miss the playoffs?

PromoTheRobot

Oh ya, acquiring Chris Peluso and a 4th, 5th and 2 7th round draft choices were real solid moves. He basically got a low grade prospect and a 5th for one of his top six forwards. Definetly shows how Burke is executing his plan. Come on. Burke ripped off Calgary for Phenuf but really hasn't done anything of significance. He traded two first and a second for Kessel. The guy isn't bad but that's a dumb move for a rebuilding franchise IMO. Things are bad in Buffalo but living in 'Leaf Nation' I can tell you that things are bad here and not getting any better anytime soon.

MacArthur may have been a top six forward here, but he belongs in the 8th or 9th spot on a most other teams.

Just sayin....

At this point and with the way they have benn playing the last 2 months, there is a significant chance they could miss the playoffs. I believe Roby said on TV and radio earlier it would take a monumental collapse for them not to make it. The monumental collapse is occuring right now. These guys are too comfortable. There's no desperation in their game. We got the wrong, soft bunch of players.

At this point and with the way they have benn playing the last 2 months, there is a significant chance they could miss the playoffs. I believe Roby said on TV and radio earlier it would take a monumental collapse for them not to make it. The monumental collapse is occuring right now. These guys are too comfortable. There's no desperation in their game. We got the wrong, soft bunch of players.

Well, then let them collapse.

If missing the playoffs after leading your division after the first half of the season doesn't convince SOMEONE to clean house, be it Golisano firing Quinn, Quinn firing Darcy, Darcy firing Ruff or blowing up the brat pack, at least some good would've come of it.

I'm dreaming, I know....

If missing the playoffs after leading your division after the first half of the league the previous season doesn't convince SOMEONE to clean house, be it Golisano firing Quinn, Quinn firing Darcy, Darcy firing Ruff or blowing up the brat pack, at least some good would've come of it.

I'm dreaming, I know....

If missing the playoffs after leading your division after the first half of the season doesn't convince SOMEONE to clean house, be it Golisano firing Quinn, Quinn firing Darcy, Darcy firing Ruff or blowing up the brat pack, at least some good would've come of it.

I'm dreaming, I know....

Quinn is one of the owners. He's not getting fired. We are, as the old saying goes, f'ed with our pants on with regards to LQ.

Of course they will make the playoffs. C'mon people. It's like a basketball game. It's a game of runs. We are in a slump, i realize that, but they will get hot eventually. They won't be playing Pittsburgh or Washington for the rest of the season, relax. Ottawa won like 10 in a row, but have LOST 3 out of their 4.... out scored 12-3 in those loses. AND, in their one WIN, won 4-3 vs. a bad Islanders team who was winning 3-1 LATE in the game but Sens came back and won. Teams will get hot. Teams will go through slumps. Buffalo will get hot eventually.

They have 75 points as of today. They will make the playoffs people.

How far they go, is another question.

Quinn is one of the owners. He's not getting fired. We are, as the old saying goes, f'ed with our pants on with regards to LQ.

Well, you're right to an extent. I gurantee you - owner or not - if Golisano wants Quinn gone, he's history.

A minority owner can be fired quite easily, as long as someone can convince the majority owner it's the way to go.

The chances of it happening are zero though, I agree.

Of course they will make the playoffs. C'mon people. It's like a basketball game. It's a game of runs. We are in a slump, i realize that, but they will get hot eventually. They won't be playing Pittsburgh or Washington for the rest of the season, relax. Ottawa won like 10 in a row, but have LOST 3 out of their 4.... out scored 12-3 in those loses. AND, in their one WIN, won 4-3 vs. a bad Islanders team who was winning 3-1 LATE in the game but Sens came back and won. Teams will get hot. Teams will go through slumps. Buffalo will get hot eventually.

They have 75 points as of today. They will make the playoffs people.

How far they go, is another question.

Well as of right now the Sabres need 20 points to make the playoffs, figuring 95 points are enough. 20 point in 20 games. That's .500 hockey. How confident are we that this team can win half its games?

FYI I do predict a Torres bump tonight. Swords will win.

PTR

Well as of right now the Sabres need 20 points to make the playoffs, figuring 95 points are enough. 20 point in 20 games. That's .500 hockey. How confident are we that this team can win half its games?

FYI I do predict a Torres bump tonight. Swords will win.

PTR

It's not going to take 95 points this year to make the playoffs in the East. To get to 95, Boston must go 13-5-2(or its equivalent, as is true for all the records I identify), Atlanta, 13-4-3, NYR 14-3-1, Montreal, 14-2-1, and Tampa Bay, 15-2-2. And 3 of these teams must get to that level to make 95 points the magic number for the Sabres, as two of these 5 must get in. And this assumes Philly goes 12-6-2 to get to 95.

Realistically, 90 points should do it this year given the current records and the quality of the teams in the hunt. 95 probably gets you 5th or 6th. 100 should get you the division, as Ottawa has to go 11-4-2 to hit 100 points.

So a Sabres record of 7-11-2(91 points) should be good for the playoffs, 9-9-2 5th or 6th, and 11-6-3 should get them the NE(depending, of course, on what Ottawa does). None of this matters, of course, if they can't win a game. A win over Philly tonight, however, would be most helpful, as it pushes Philly back into the pile a bit.

Not only will they make the playoffs, but how they do in them will have nothing to do with how they played the last 15 games or even how they play the last 6 games of the season. One of the great myths of sports is that you have to go into the playoffs hot. Check out the Sabres record preceding the Cup run in 99. There are a host of examples of team's limping into the playoffs and then making noise.

All that will matter in mid April is what the match up is and how well they come out and play.

Taking the subtitle literally, I checked a few online bookies. Can't seem to find anyone giving odds on whether teams make the playoffs or not. Bodog has the Sabres at 15/2 to win the Eastern Conference, though, and William Hill, 16/1 to win it all. In both cases, the Sabres are towards the top of the list.

The PuckReport is saying 90 in the East and 93 in the west. They show, based on points pace that Sabres finish 4th.

Did you really need to go there to figure that out? :thumbsup:

I am surprised, though, that we haven't seen the start of the push yet. Through 62 GP, we're still seeing the 8th best record (based on point %) as on pace for just 87 points. The PuckReport is probably right that it will get up to 90, but I am actually starting to doubt that it will hit 93.

As for the original question, yes it is possible, but as long as they play mediocre hockey and bank some more point, they'll make it. Simple .500 hockey, which should be easy to achieve in a league where the average is closer to 0.55, would give them 96 points. In the last 19 (going into last night), which we will all agree was terrible, they went 5-9-5. That would give them 92 points if they did the same in the final 19, which is probably still enough for the playoffs; a lot tighter than most of us want to see, though.

This season seems to be going pretty much how people predicted earlier in the year. The Sabres took advantage of a light schedule early on and banked a lot of points. As the schedule got tougher they weren't up to the task. This overall has been a strange year. We are looking at Washington running away in the East and Chicago and San Jose running away with the West. All the other teams in the East, including the Pens, are struggling to find any consistency. Last year the third place team in the Eastern Conference finished 20 games over .500. Here are the Sabres holding down third only 5 games over .500. The Kings are 5th in the west 13 games over .500. A strange year indeed.

This season seems to be going pretty much how people predicted earlier in the year. The Sabres took advantage of a light schedule early on and banked a lot of points. As the schedule got tougher they weren't up to the task. This overall has been a strange year. We are looking at Washington running away in the East and Chicago and San Jose running away with the West. All the other teams in the East, including the Pens, are struggling to find any consistency. Last year the third place team in the Eastern Conference finished 20 games over .500. Here are the Sabres holding down third only 5 games over .500. The Kings are 5th in the west 13 games over .500. A strange year indeed.

Thankfully they banked them instead of blowing them, as we have seen in some other seasons.

Here's the nice part: the vast bulk of the Sabres' remaining games are against teams that currently sit seventh or lower in their conferences. Seven of the next nine games are against teams that would not make the playoffs if the season ended as I'm writing this, and the other two of those nine are against eighth-place teams. Time to start banking points again.

Well, they're first in the division right now, ahead of Ottawa by 1 pt with 2 games in hand to boot. They're also 3 pts behind Pittsburgh for #2 in the EC, with one game in hand. If they beat the very beatable Rangers tomorrow night, they could make a run, leave that GD losing streak in the past and finish up in a great spot in the standings.

1st place in the NE, with two games in hand, and I'm the only one happy with this team? Really?? good grief...

Well if all you look at is the snap shot of the present then yes, the Sabres are awesome. As long as you ignore how they are playing since the west coast trip then it's all sunshine and lollipops.

PTR

Well if all you look at is the snap shot of the present then yes, the Sabres are awesome. As long as you ignore how they are playing since the west coast trip then it's all sunshine and lollipops.

PTR

I think you are off base. Going into the year not one of us thought they would be in first place this late in the year. We knew who and what this team was going in. Going into the year we would have been happy with them making the playoffs. I did not adjust my expectations based on the way they started the year. For those that did, thats not a Darcy problem, thats a YOU problem. You should have known better.

I think you are off base. Going into the year not one of us thought they would be in first place this late in the year. We knew who and what this team was going in. Going into the year we would have been happy with them making the playoffs. I did not adjust my expectations based on the way they started the year. For those that did, thats not a Darcy problem, thats a YOU problem. You should have known better.

What should that have anything to do with the current opinions of posters? The reality is that Miller is having a Vezina/MVP quality season. That is going to change expectations not only for the fans but the players and management as well. The only problem is that the season Miller is having seems not to have effected the front office's decision making process. Which I feel is to the detriment to the franchise and the cause of frustration with many fans.

Archived