Could the Sabres still miss the playoffs?

PromoTheRobot

21 games to go, we have 75 points. Right now 65 points is 9th place. Since the Jan 19 loss to Anaheim the Sabres are 3-8-3. That's .375. If that pace continues over the last 21 games the record would be 5-12-4 and 14 points out of 42. That would put Buffalo at 89 points, 2 points below where they finished last season, 10th place and out of the playoffs.

It would be a cruel joke if this happened, but it's not impossible.

PTR

21 games to go, we have 75 points. Right now 65 points is 9th place. Since the Jan 19 loss to Anaheim the Sabres are 3-8-3. That's .375. If that pace continues over the last 21 games the record would be 5-12-4 and 14 points out of 42. That would put Buffalo at 89 points, 2 points below where they finished last season, 10th place and out of the playoffs.

It would be a cruel joke if this happened, but it's not impossible.

PTR

Thanks for brightening my day!

I think the chances they miss the playoffs at this point are 50% and climbing. They show no inclination of climbing out of the funk they are in. Other teams are peaking and trying to improve, the Sabres are faltering, and management refuses to shake up the roster. Not a good trend.

IF they DO miss the playoffs, and they DO NOT make at least 1 move, I believe the whole CITY of Buffalo should surround the Arena and call for Darcy and Larry's Craniums on platters(Meaning Darcy FIRED).

By making a move, I don't mean dumping dead weight for a pick, I mean a swap. Draft picks are fine if you're a "re-tooling team", but we have the get some scoring, defensive and physical force on this team!

Never been a good gambler so I can't speak to the odds. I can say over the many years of following hockey their have been a fair amount of teams that collapse and do not make it after looking great at the start.

This teams current on ice attitude(or lack thereof) or with one key injury excuse could very well continue rumbling, bumbling and stumbling right out of the playoff's.

The scarier thought for me is that there's a part of me that wouldn't mind a total collapse, assuming that it brings the housecleaning I think is necessary.

I'm basically in agreement, but damn, that's a mighty big assumption.

IF they make the playoffs (big if with the way this team is playing) they are 4 and out. This team is horrible. Its top 6 are horrible, its bottom 6 are horrible. This team has a very good young D man (Myers) and a hot goalie, that is all this team has.

Miller was right on when he stated they've played like s**t all season and gotten away with it. Now they're not getting away with it and it shows. If I were Miller, I'd of requested a trade to a winner (Chicago needs a Goalie, and they have the talent to shed the salary needed to fit him in).

Darcy Regier needs to be fired!

Going into this year I would have called the season a success if they made the playoffs. With 1/4 of the season to go, I'm confident they will make it.

I did not inflate my expectations after the strong start and am still happy with them making the playoffs.

Am I the only one who's not currently disappointed and excited about the playoffs and the near future?

Going into this year I would have called the season a success if they made the playoffs. With 1/4 of the season to go, I'm confident they will make it.

I did not inflate my expectations after the strong start and am still happy with them making the playoffs.

Am I the only one who's not currently disappointed and excited about the playoffs and the near future?

Yeah, pretty much.

Yippie, we get to watch 4 more losses, thanks for reminding me :death:

Hey, why don't you kick my dog while your at it <_<

The scarier thought for me is that there's a part of me that wouldn't mind a total collapse, assuming that it brings the housecleaning I think is necessary.

I can easily relate to that way of thinking, but here's what sends chills down my spine - I feel convinced this team could end up dead last and nobody in the front office or coaching staff would be fired because of it.

And until they go, we're stuck with this :wallbash:

I can easily relate to that way of thinking, but here's what sends chills down my spine - I feel convinced this team could end up dead last and nobody in the front office or coaching staff would be fired because of it.

And until they go, we're stuck with this :wallbash:

When a rookie is your best player, you're in trouble. I can see them falling out of the playoffs...and I too would welcome it if the right changes were made in the offseason. However I think the main problem is Golisano and his lack of committment, which would hamstring every effort to do what's right.

Here is the only thing that really keeps me going...

Generally speaking, in just about any sport, teams that get hot right before the playoffs tend to make a lot of noise and win a lot of games. I have a very faint hope that they right this ship, and can rip off a nice winning streak right before playoff time, and go in with a head of steam.

Probably just wishful thinking.

YEP, I'm there with you. Now for some classic cliche's;

Doing the same thing(with these same players) over and over again (waiting for them to mature) and expecting something to change is the classic definition of insanity. I'm convinced this teams Management is insane.

Said another way waitng/hoping on this team to arrive is like putting lipstick on a pig to make it look pretty. In the end no matter what you do its still just a pig.

And in case your not depressed already here is more bad news, while our management fiddles Burke is actually executing a plan in TO that will make all future Sabres-TO games this depressing once he has that western type team that will own and regularly steam roll these cream puffs DR calls hockey players.

I'm honestly nervous after last night's crap-fest with the Caps. It's time to sit (or unload) some people and get some young blood in there from Portland. Mair and Stafford come to mind. This is looking very much like last year's late-season collapse. In the playoffs but out in the first round is not my definition of success. Darcy has had it. He had his shot numerous times and either Golisano is restricting his moves, or Darcy is just a poor GM. In any event, this team is in deep doo-doo right now and they better make some changes now.

I'm honestly nervous after last night's crap-fest with the Caps. It's time to sit (or unload) some people and get some young blood in there from Portland. Mair and Stafford come to mind. This is looking very much like last year's late-season collapse. In the playoffs but out in the first round is not my definition of success. Darcy has had it. He had his shot numerous times and either Golisano is restricting his moves, or Darcy is just a poor GM. In any event, this team is in deep doo-doo right now and they better make some changes now.

Umm........ya, weehawk, yesterday would have been the day to unload some of these guys. A little late now. But hey, don't you fret none, Darcy has his "Were building for the future" plan. Its only taken him a dozen seasons or so to get a stellar goalie and a franchise D man, I can't wait for the next 12 seasons when he builds the next 2 players :blink: :unsure:

And in case your not depressed already here is more bad news, while our management fiddles Burke is actually executing a plan in TO that will make all future Sabres-TO games this depressing once he has that western type team that will own and regularly steam roll these cream puffs DR calls hockey players.

Oh ya, acquiring Chris Peluso and a 4th, 5th and 2 7th round draft choices were real solid moves. He basically got a low grade prospect and a 5th for one of his top six forwards. Definetly shows how Burke is executing his plan. Come on. Burke ripped off Calgary for Phenuf but really hasn't done anything of significance. He traded two first and a second for Kessel. The guy isn't bad but that's a dumb move for a rebuilding franchise IMO. Things are bad in Buffalo but living in 'Leaf Nation' I can tell you that things are bad here and not getting any better anytime soon.

Archived