What to do with Lydman and Hecht?

SabresBillsFan

I don't know. 37 year old(will turn 38 in May) undersized, skilled forward(I thought we already have the market cornered on this type of player). How much of his success is a direct result of playing with a center like Staal(I'm going out on a limb here that the two of them have spent a lot of time playing together over the last 5 seasons)?

Great point about being with Staal. But he has won a cup has been around a long time and I belive around a point a game player not 100 percent sure on that. Who out there would be a better fit ???

I'll pass on both offers. This is exactly why Darcy should pass on any rental temptations at the deadline. It is highway robbery by the team that is selling.

I'm not a fan of deadline deals at all. Last year we gave up way too much for a backup goalie and a guy that wanted way too much money and couldn't get picked up until the start of the season. We traded 2 picks especially the 2nd rounder for nothing. I wouldn't trade Weber and a 3rd for Whitney. He's an old veteran who only has a two-three year window before he retires.

Look at all the deadline deals made last year and none of them really help those teams get to the cup except for Bill Guerin.

I agree but is he not the kind of player the Sabres need. I'm so sick of getting guys like Moore at the dead line This team has a chance so why not risk something Dr plays it to safe were has that got buffalo. Time to take a risk.

This team is good enough to make playoffs but doesn't have enough to reach the cup. Miller and Myers have been the sole reason that this team is playing better this year. Miller has been motivated by wanting to be the USA starting goaltender and Myers has been a shutdown defenseman who is logging tons of minutes each night and been great on starting the rush and has made tons of smart passes to get the offense started.

why trade Jochen when he is having a career year and a UFA for two more seasons? I don't understand all this Hecht hate...He's pretty low on the list of players I think are a problem. Stafford and MacArthur top my list of players that need to get it together.

Two reasons- Hecht's trade value is going up because of his play of late and he's making more money than Stafford and MacArthur and isn't worth the money he's making.

Mike Weber needs to stay in blue and gold. He'll be on the team next season.

I doubt Lydman will be traded at the deadline UNLESS he's involved in a trade that sends us a PPQB Dman in return.

Going into the playoffs, you don't trade away veteran defenders.

I doubt Lydman will be traded at the deadline UNLESS he's involved in a trade that sends us a PPQB Dman in return.

Going into the playoffs, you don't trade away veteran defenders.

They need to do something there. The fact that Lindy sat out one third of his starting defense corp this week had to resonate throughout the front office.

I know I in the minority here, but I am ready to sell the farm to take a run at a Cup this year. All but Miller and Myers are fair game at the trade deadline as far as I am concerned.

They need to do something there. The fact that Lindy sat out one third of his starting defense corp this week had to resonate throughout the front office.

I know I in the minority here, but I am ready to sell the farm to take a run at a Cup this year. All but Miller and Myers are fair game at the trade deadline as far as I am concerned.

and there it is. Deluca has come over to the un-dark side. :thumbsup:

I agree with you and #1 on my list would be Vanek.

and there it is. Deluca has come over to the un-dark side. :thumbsup:

DeLuca has always been on the bright side. He wants to win a Cup, the stated goal of the organization. "Fans" who are more interested in playing bean-counter with OSP's money than demanding a Cup are the true residents of the dark side.

Ray will take more than weber and a 3rd. Think Butler and a 2nd.

They will not trade Butler for a rental but Weber is in play and would get Whitney if that is what Buffalo wants. The Sabres see Butler potential as that of a top 2 or 3 defenseman in the rotation and you don't give that up for a rental. Weber is a 4 or 5 top end and those guys are easily replaced.

I am not saying they will give him up easily, but if they are truly going for the Cup, he is play.

Finally, I always laugh at those who minimize deadline deals by saying the only one that worked out is...... and then they list a player acquired by the team that won the Cup.

Isn't that the point and the only eventuality?

They will not trade Butler for a rental but Weber is in play and would get Whitney if that is what Buffalo wants. The Sabres see Butler potential as that of a top 2 or 3 defenseman in the rotation and you don't give that up for a rental. Weber is a 4 or 5 top end and those guys are easily replaced.

I am not saying they will give him up easily, but if they are truly going for the Cup, he is play.

I posted earlier this week that Weber is one of two physical prospects in the system out of numerous blueliners drafter over the last 5 years and I wouldn't be so quick to trade him.

I am opposed to rentals this year as I don't think the Sabres have what it takes to take a run at the Cup, but if they decide to go that route, I don't believe for a minute that you are getting Whitney for Weber straight up.

Much as I'd like to see Lydman traded away, I doubt we'd get much quality in a trade for him. Hate to say this, but if we can't sign an extension or a new deal with Tallinder, his value will not be any higher than it is now. What could we get for him, and what would we do about the hole created there?

Any changes in the offensive side would have to involve Mac or Stafford - they are not stepping up to the top 6 level consistently enough.

Why do you say this? We haven't seen a single shift of NHL-caliber defensive play from Weber in 2 solid years. He could easily be a washout. I'd like to see him step up, but I'm far from confident it will happen.

Good post.

I thought we learned a few years ago in the playoffs that you can never have enough defenseman around. Trading Lydman and Tallinder would be insane if we are serious about a run in the playoffs

I don't think anyone is seriously advocating trading both of them, and given how well Tallinder is playing, I don't think anyone is seriously advocating trading him by himself either. I could see trading Lydman as part of a package to get a good forward, but not just for a 3rd-round pick, which is probably all they'd get for him.

I thought we learned a few years ago in the playoffs that you can never have enough defenseman around. Trading Lydman and Tallinder would be insane if we are serious about a run in the playoffs

If you think the move makes you a stronger team, you have to do it. No matter what you do, there's always going to be that freak scenario that kills your team.

Archived