GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I agree this is a must win for the ego of the Sabres. They have to start with Defense which is their strength and then work from that part. The D is getting caught too often. Either one forward is not getting back in time or their back checking seems to be a little late. Too often they are getting caught up ice and then play tired in their own end letting the other team cycle too much. Also, I think they need to rest a few guys and bring up some young legs to get them going again. It is a long season and they just seem a little off. Not saying they aren't working at it, just not clicking or one guy on each line seems to be taking a shift off. The break for some of these guys can't come soon enough, though some won't get a break unless their team has an early exit.

So I'm thinking Lindy feels the need for some points tonight so he plays Miller again tonight and then puts Lalime in for NJ. But I'm guessing that could lead to two loses as the team will be very tired traveling back to Buffalo for the Wed game and will once again give Lalime no support.

So I'm thinking Lindy feels the need for some points tonight so he plays Miller again tonight and then puts Lalime in for NJ. But I'm guessing that could lead to two loses as the team will be very tired traveling back to Buffalo for the Wed game and will once again give Lalime no support.

Lalime definitely needs to get back on the horse before rust starts setting in and he goes back to the way he played before his Portland conditioning stint - but, with Ruff admitting that chasing the Eastern Conference lead is important, I can't see him sitting Miller against either the Devils or a division rival like Boston. Then you look at next week's schedule and it's the same story against Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

I frankly don't see Lalime playing til the home game on 2/5 against Carolina - which worries me because it will represent only 10 minutes of work in 4 weeks. Everyone concedes that Lalime's play drops off noticeably when he sits for too long.

On a related note, did anyone catch this article in the Vancouver paper about Ruff? I was surprised to read that he recently signed a long-term extension to his contract; Ruff signed for 3 years with a club option for a fourth year on June 14, 2007 (just weeks before the Drury-Briere debacle) at the same time as Regier signed a 2 year extension with no option. That would mean that Ruff was coming up this summer for renewal - but the article sounds like Ruff signed on for more than just 1 year.....then again, Regier's deal from 2007 expired last summer and I never read anything about an extension he must have gotten:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/sabrespace/2481129/story.html

One objective for tonight...eliminate or at least limit the lazy stick penalties that we've been committing the last couple of weeks. Vancouver has the 4th best PP in the league, and the Sedin twins will absolutely ram the puck down your throat if you find the penalty box too often.

I want to see 3 minor penalties or fewer tonight.

On a related note, did anyone catch this article in the Vancouver paper about Ruff? I was surprised to read that he recently signed a long-term extension to his contract; Ruff signed for 3 years with a club option for a fourth year on June 14, 2007 (just weeks before the Drury-Briere debacle) at the same time as Regier signed a 2 year extension with no option. That would mean that Ruff was coming up this summer for renewal - but the article sounds like Ruff signed on for more than just 1 year.....then again, Regier's deal from 2007 expired last summer and I never read anything about an extension he must have gotten:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/sabrespace/2481129/story.html

Recently? Dude that was like 2 and a half years ago. That's not recent.

One objective for tonight...eliminate or at least limit the lazy stick penalties that we've been committing the last couple of weeks. Vancouver has the 4th best PP in the league, and the Sedin twins will absolutely ram the puck down your throat if you find the penalty box too often.

the Sedin twins will absolutely ram the puck down your throat if you.. don't clear the zone regularly and quickly either

http://www.theprovin...1129/story.html

Nobody knows for sure...

http://forums.sabres...post__p__125479

Lalime definitely needs to get back on the horse before rust starts setting in and he goes back to the way he played before his Portland conditioning stint - but, with Ruff admitting that chasing the Eastern Conference lead is important, I can't see him sitting Miller against either the Devils or a division rival like Boston. Then you look at next week's schedule and it's the same story against Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

I frankly don't see Lalime playing til the home game on 2/5 against Carolina - which worries me because it will represent only 10 minutes of work in 4 weeks. Everyone concedes that Lalime's play drops off noticeably when he sits for too long.

Agreed. It should be Lalime tonight. But the tail will almost surely be wagging the dog here as Miller will want a start in that building.

I think I remember Ruff's comment about the Eastern Conference race. I can't believe he's going to burn out Miller to chase a title that he knows is meaningless.

Agreed. It should be Lalime tonight. But the tail will almost surely be wagging the dog here as Miller will want a start in that building.

I think I remember Ruff's comment about the Eastern Conference race. I can't believe he's going to burn out Miller to chase a title that he knows is meaningless.

Don't know what to think of it, tbh.

I do seem to remember something about Ruff being a firm believer that the Sabres would've knocked off Carolina in 06, had game 7 been played at home instead.

Or was that Chris Drury, mostly? I do remember Drury talking about it a lot, and how the mindset the next year was to go out and grab home-ice by winning the Presidents Trophy.

Too bad Ottawa didn't read that part of "Hockey 101" though.

I will be trying, again, to stay up and watch this one tonight. I'm 1-for-3 in staying up to see them during the road trip. Just hoping it won't end up like the LA game last week...Saw the first 10 minutes, and the next thing I know I was staring at "Thank you for watching Dish Network HD."

Big game tonight, though. Not as much of a "must win" in the standings as it is for the team's mental state.

Go Sabres!

This might be a DVR night. I don't think I can take watching the Sabres crash and burn at the end of their trip, and then suffer another night of fitful sleep.

QFT, If they did another 3rd period mess up like SJ I would be tossin and turning the reminder of evening and do have to work tomorrow. I may just watch the 1st period to see how it starts and DVR the rest like I did against Kings.

Win tonight, and the last 3 games were just a bump in the road, and we can look forward to heading back East.

Lose tonight, and we're officially in slump mode, with NJ coming up next on the 27th.

So let's win!

THIS

Yes I would like to see them play a sound defensive road game instead of the breakdowns albeit almost all of them can be attributed to Montador last game.

In todays news article Lindy talked about how bad Montador played and was asked if he was going to sit him and bring in Sekera. I am curious to see how he handles it since as of yesterdays practice he had not spoken to Montador about his bad game yet. I would be for giving Montador a night off and putting Sekera with Lydman for a game. It would be in keeping with what Lindy has preached earlier in the season and puts in someone with fresh legs and who knows maybe he could also spark the PP. I would prefer to see Andy rather than Stevie on the PP.

Maybe just a little change is what they need/could use right about now.

Come one Bflo, Just win baby.

I enjoyed these late games. Glad their over though. If the Sharks play like they did in the final 40 minutes vs. the Ducks or like they did in San Jose, they should have no problems tonight. Then again, if they play poorly, Vancouver can destroy us. I love watching Alex Burrows play, kid is a gamer. Always scoring the big goals for them. Canucks coming off their best and more impressive win of the season, a 5-1 victory of the Blackhawks on Saturday night.

Miller vs. Luongo tonight i'm assuming?

Archived