GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

One more thing Ruff sucks at is picking shootout shooters.

Just playing the odds. Roy (5 for 11, 45%, over this year and last going into tonight) and Pommer (3 for 7, 43%) have been the most effective Sabres in the SO over the past two seasons not named Kotalik, and were the only ones not named Myers to score in one this year. I'll give you that he hasn't realized that Stafford has completely cooled off after a fast start last year (went 4 for 4 to start last year, then has missed 9 straight.) Lindy does put Connolly and Vanek out there; now they have been terrible in the shootout. I guess I'm saying that you aren't incorrect in general, but his choices tonight (other than Stafford) are the best he has available. I'd go with Roy, Pommer and somebody new like Kennedy, MacArthur, etc.

Just playing the odds. Roy (5 for 11, 45%, over this year and last going into tonight) and Pommer (3 for 7, 43%) have been the most effective Sabres in the SO over the past two seasons not named Kotalik, and were the only ones not named Myers to score in one this year. I'll give you that he hasn't realized that Stafford has completely cooled off after a fast start last year (went 4 for 4 to start last year, then has missed 9 straight.) Lindy does put Connolly and Vanek out there; now they have been terrible in the shootout. I guess I'm saying that you aren't incorrect in general, but his choices tonight (other than Stafford) are the best he has available. I'd go with Roy, Pommer and somebody new like Kennedy, MacArthur, etc.

Roy, Stafford, and MacArthur would have been my lineup with Vanek unavailable. And I would have cautioned Roy not to be so f*cking cute with the moves. That was just stupid. Hey, bud, Fleury has a stick, too, you know?

But all in all, not a horrible loss.

For those who have Center Ice or GameCenter who don't always get the BFLO feed, did anybody have to listen to the Pittsburgh announcers? I get to listen to a lot of out of town announcers on GameCenter and these guys just might be one of the worst in the league. Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey (sorry) couldn't possibly fit all their excuses for not beating BFLO into oblivion into one broadcast. If Lalime wasn't lucky, it was bad calls, lucky bounce for BFLO or all the missed shots. Between the second and third periods I must have heard them list off the number of missed shots that Pitts had compared to their actual SOG. It became obvious that they're used to their superstars not getting penalties that the rest of the players in the league would normally get. They didn't even seem to notice when they did something wrong. At one point during the game they actually forced themselves to say they were actually impressed with BFLO's play...... like the Sabres were supposed to be honored to be playing the SC champions.

Sorry for the rant. :rolleyes: I've heard other announcers around the league who I thought were pretty good and will give them credit, but these guys just made me :sick: .

Summing up the weekend, short version :

I liked Ruff's decision of playing Miller for the two "safe" points, and it worked like a charm, although the Leafs were better than their goaltending suggested.

Another plus for playing Lalime against the better team. I like that Ruff chose to reward him for his last game, and gave him the vote of confidence against the tougher team, now that Miller had secured the two "safe" points. It would've been classic Ruff to come out and say some along the lines of "we need to ride Ryan given his strong form", etc. etc.

Who knows, maybe Lalime isn't such a bad choice as long as he gets to play once in a while, and maybe Ruff has actually learned a little something about his backup?

All in all, I think 3 out of 4 for the weekend is very acceptable.

For those who have Center Ice or GameCenter who don't always get the BFLO feed, did anybody have to listen to the Pittsburgh announcers? I get to listen to a lot of out of town announcers on GameCenter and these guys just might be one of the worst in the league. Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey (sorry) couldn't possibly fit all their excuses for not beating BFLO into oblivion into one broadcast. If Lalime wasn't lucky, it was bad calls, lucky bounce for BFLO or all the missed shots. Between the second and third periods I must have heard them list off the number of missed shots that Pitts had compared to their actual SOG. It became obvious that they're used to their superstars not getting penalties that the rest of the players in the league would normally get. They didn't even seem to notice when they did something wrong. At one point during the game they actually forced themselves to say they were actually impressed with BFLO's play...... like the Sabres were supposed to be honored to be playing the SC champions.

Sorry for the rant. :rolleyes: I've heard other announcers around the league who I thought were pretty good and will give them credit, but these guys just made me :sick: .

Two words for ya; Bobby Taylor. Guy is F'n ridiculous. He's one of the boobs who calls the Lightning games. Don't hurt yourself tuning in, you'll hate me for it if you do. That guy whines like a fat kid who just had his Birthday cake stolen from him. WORST IN THE LEAGUE.

BTW, I agree with D4rksabre on the shootout line-up, it would have been more entertaining. Good overall game, though.

Summing up the weekend, short version :

I liked Ruff's decision of playing Miller for the two "safe" points, and it worked like a charm, although the Leafs were better than their goaltending suggested.

Another plus for playing Lalime against the better team. I like that Ruff chose to reward him for his last game, and gave him the vote of confidence against the tougher team, now that Miller had secured the two "safe" points. It would've been classic Ruff to come out and say some along the lines of "we need to ride Ryan given his strong form", etc. etc.

Who knows, maybe Lalime isn't such a bad choice as long as he gets to play once in a while, and maybe Ruff has actually learned a little something about his backup?

All in all, I think 3 out of 4 for the weekend is very acceptable.

Let's not fall in to that trap. The team did a great job of keeping the Pens chances down. 24 shots over 65 minutes is a pretty solid effort. There were numerous times were Lalime was flopping around out of position, much like on the Kunitz goal. The Sabres did a great job of getting sticks and bodies in front of some wide open nets. The Sabres had 20 blocked shots for the game. Many of which were on the power play with pucks heading towards a empty net.

Let's not fall in to that trap. The team did a great job of keeping the Pens chances down. 24 shots over 65 minutes is a pretty solid effort. There were numerous times were Lalime was flopping around out of position, much like on the Kunitz goal. The Sabres did a great job of getting sticks and bodies in front of some wide open nets. The Sabres had 20 blocked shots for the game. Many of which were on the power play with pucks heading towards a empty net.

Beyond that, Pittsburgh's snipers missed a lot of chances they won't normally miss. I don't like moral victories. I didn't hear much postgame sound to have an opinion as to whether the Sabres were "happy" with a loss. Ruff sure did. It's a dangerous precedent. I hope the players were tearing up locker stalls out of frustration and disappointment. Learning how to win...

Ruff doesn't have an abacus back there. It's more art than science. A lot of it should be based on who was going well during the game. I like d4rk's picks.

Beyond that, Pittsburgh's snipers missed a lot of chances they won't normally miss. I don't like moral victories. I didn't hear much postgame sound to have an opinion as to whether the Sabres were "happy" with a loss. Ruff sure did. It's a dangerous precedent. I hope the players were tearing up locker stalls out of frustration and disappointment. Learning how to win...

I would have felt better if this was a road game. One goal just doesn't get it done, especially at home. The lack of offensive production may have replaced backup goalie as the number one concern for this team.

Ruff doesn't have an abacus back there. It's more art than science. A lot of it should be based on who was going well during the game. I like d4rk's picks.

No, but I'm sure that he can remember who has scored in them in the past. Stafford has lost it and should never be out there again, but the other two have been pretty consistent. I, too, like d4rk's list and would certainly be willing to give any of them a try. My point was that they weren't stupid choices (Stafford aside), not that they were the best or only choices.

Just Cause:

1. Those were some of the more frightening Buffalo PPs in a long time. Pitt had two QUALITY chances to score a shorty. I'm sure Staal is waking up with nightmares..

2. Lalime was either good or lucky.. I can't figure out which. Nonetheless, getting a quality start from your backup should not be window dressed on this board.

3. Hecht should have been benched after the first five minutes. He made consistently bad choice after bad choice. Just wasn't his night.

4. The PP is so easy to defend. Any team that presses the blueliners will have success in knocking the puck out of the zone.

5. The PK ran around at times, but still managed to hold Pitt off the board. Kudos and props for a job well done.

6. Roy, Connolly, Lalime and Grier all took hard hits in that game.. Pitt comes to play.

7. Buffalo lost the game last night on the PP... It just looked blah..

8. The lone Pitt goal should never have happened if Grier gets the puck under control. That was clearly a defensive breakdown.

9. Malkin with back to back minor penalties.. tsk, tsk..

10. Long 5 on 3 and no score.. When the didn't score, they didn't deserve the W.. So I'm estatic with the point.

If this is some kind of "scoop," why doesn't the story go into any detail? It almost sounds like he's out of the loop and just assumed Lalime played last night.

Nope:

"Miller gets the blue (Friday). Patty Lalime will get the Pittsburgh game and Tronna game inside the ACC on Monday night."

And this one:

Lalime is a new man. His posture in the vrease is stout and aggressive.Rupp and the Guins tried to intinidate Lalime, but true to his veteran form, he blocked it all out, and made the great, timely saves that his team needed in order to push the defending Stanley Cup champs up against the ropes.

What? no spellcheck?

That was a helluva shift by the Grier-Kennedy-Hecht line... Kennedy had a golden opportunity and fired high.. Let's take control of this game right now on the PP..

I thought it was tipped

Yes, tipped.

My shootout lineup would be Kennedy, Kaleta and Myers. Just sayin'.

Kennedy for sure. Just a great game by this kid. Won 50% of his faceoffs too.

8. The lone Pitt goal should never have happened if Grier gets the puck under control. That was clearly a defensive breakdown.

Connolly as well, getting out positioned and couldn't take the pass from Grier to get the clear.

A side note. We need a Jordan Stall. Great on face offs, hard into the corners. Who would you rather have for a 4 million cap hit? Roy or Stall? nuff said.

Yep. The Pens play with a great combination of skill and an edge. Crosby was so tenacious. I hope the Sabres come away from this game realizing that's what it takes to win a Cup, and not thinking, "We're almost as good." The two teams are acres apart.

Yep. The Pens play with a great combination of skill and an edge. Crosby was so tenacious. I hope the Sabres come away from this game realizing that's what it takes to win a Cup, and not thinking, "We're almost as good." The two teams are acres apart.

That was evident last night. The Pens top players go at it with more energy than Patrick Kaleta does. The Sabres get nowhere near that level of effort from their so called "top six forwards." Crosby has a ring and still plays as if he has something to prove. And yet players like Connolly, Roy and Vanek dare to take shifts and even games off. I would love to hear them explain what they feel they have accomplished in this sport that affords them the right to take nights off.

Archived