Kaleta's Upside...

LabattBlue

It is clear that he has the skating ability, but watching Kaleta play, does anyone believe he could develop into a 2nd line winger a season or two down the road? A couple of games does not make a career, but the glimpses of offensive ability(SHG versus the NYR), have me wondering.

I don't want him even thinking about playing on a so-called "scoring line" ... if he keeps coming along, he's a perfect third-line winger ... responsible defensively and physical enough to check top lines and with enough offensive ability to chip in 15 goals ... you completely change the kid if you put him next to someone like Roy or Connolly and get him thinking he HAS to score.

He definitely has more skills than he gets credit for. I'm not sure he'll ever be a true scoring-line forward from a pure skill point-of-view (though, those two shorties were really nice goals), but he makes his linemates' lives easier through simple hard work and manageable skills. Put him with two skilled forwards and see what happens ...

Vanek-Connolly/Roy/Kennedy-Kaleta?

Carp as always nails it -- both of those shorties required more than a bit of skill. Beating Lundy high to the glove side? Very nice (although that's the spot where the Caps killed him in the playoffs last year). FWIW, I've also heard Lindy say that he's one of the best skaters on the team.

I don't see him as a 2nd-line player, but I think he can develop into a solid, 15-min.-per-game 3rd liner and have a long, profitable NHL career. It's probably too soon to talk about a leadership role for him since he's really just become a regular this year, but I can see that in the future too.

I don't want him even thinking about playing on a so-called "scoring line" ... if he keeps coming along, he's a perfect third-line winger ... responsible defensively and physical enough to check top lines and with enough offensive ability to chip in 15 goals ... you completely change the kid if you put him next to someone like Roy or Connolly and get him thinking he HAS to score.

I was thinking more of Kaleta playing the same game he is now, but bringing some grit to the scoring lines. My question is more aimed at would he be a hindrance to a scoring line from an offensive perspective?

He's not out of position like he was. Always roaming the ice looking for the big hit. I saw more than a few times he's let up and didn't hit someone that little bit late for fear of getting a penalty.

Him getting out of position on a top line would have me worried. Roy and Connolly getting the puck back quickly on a turnover and Kaleta is nowhere to be found. Our top lines should make it on their own, the 3rd and 4th have enough skills to get Kaleta the puck.

Now, playing him on the penalty kill more :thumbsup:

Solid third-liner and special teams, definitely. The top-two lines are typically for your more naturally gifted scorers, which Kaleta is not - although he makes up for it with hard work and effort. I love that in a player.

However, I think what's more important is who he is teamed up with, just like any other forward. If it turns out he has "chemistry" with two other players who are genuine second line players and the line produces - who would argue that he doesn't belong there?

it's a timely and fair question, but i agree with those who've said that the kid belongs right where he's presently slotted: on the third line, pulling significant minutes, playing in the last 10 minutes of close games, playing the PK, playing with some edge.

what he's shown has, frankly, been a complete revelation to me -- i had no idea he had this in him.

i dont really see him having more Offensive upside than say a barnaby (19g one year) or May (18g one year) never to reach that total again. Kaleta may never score that much.

However, he does fill a different role, hes not a fighter at all, he does draw a lot of penalties which cant really be measured in stats or momentum changes.

Hes a career 3rd liner, and can flourish in that role as weve seen.

I was thinking more of Kaleta playing the same game he is now, but bringing some grit to the scoring lines. My question is more aimed at would he be a hindrance to a scoring line from an offensive perspective?

I'd be worried about the long term health of those top line guys if they were skating with Kaleta. His hits almost always leave people looking to get even. Who would you rather run, Kaleta or Vanek? Neither is going to fight back, but taking one out of the lineup removes a much bigger threat than the other. If he skates in that slot, he needs to protect them and I don't think he has that in him.

It is clear that he has the skating ability, but watching Kaleta play, does anyone believe he could develop into a 2nd line winger a season or two down the road? A couple of games does not make a career, but the glimpses of offensive ability(SHG versus the NYR), have me wondering.

I was thinking the same thing. I could see Kaleta and Kennedy both elevating into a solid 2nd line combo. As it is, I think they should be kept together as our 3rd line for the rest of the season. Grier is better suited to the 4th line and penalty killing at this stage of his career.

The top-two lines are typically for your more naturally gifted scorers, which Kaleta is not - although he makes up for it with hard work and effort.

Just to play devil's advocate again, "typically" based on what ... or, more to the point, when? What was the game like at the time that these roles were established? Maybe, since the game has changed, the effective and progressive coach changes the makeup of his line in response. In 2006-07, they all but abandoned the idea of two scoring lines, one checking line and one energy line. Instead, they ran three scoring lines, because the game had changed. Now that many teams have moved to a ... what did they call it on Versus last night ... oh yeah, a phalanx defense (4-5 guys collapsing around the net), maybe scoring lines need someone willing to get dirty to be effective.

I was thinking the same thing. I could see Kaleta and Kennedy both elevating into a solid 2nd line combo. As it is, I think they should be kept together as our 3rd line for the rest of the season. Grier is better suited to the 4th line and penalty killing at this stage of his career.

Have we given up on Vanek-Kennedy-Grier already?

Kaleta has the ability to be a great scoring line 2 Power Forward RWer. He has shown sound judgment with the puck. He has shown skill and agility both infront of the net and digging behind the net and along the boards.

It should be obvious he has the skating skills, controlling his bursts and showing us his explosive speed when he has to use it. He may not be a Max as far as agility and speed, but definitely showing signs he could be a great Power Forward.

Kaleta has the ability to be a great scoring line 2 Power Forward RWer. He has shown sound judgment with the puck. He has shown skill and agility both infront of the net and digging behind the net and along the boards.

It should be obvious he has the skating skills, controlling his bursts and showing us his explosive speed when he has to use it. He may not be a Max as far as agility and speed, but definitely showing signs he could be a great Power Forward.

Disagreed. Ride him out he's hot and is playing out his mind. He's not top 6 material yet.

Disagreed. Ride him out he's hot and is playing out his mind. He's not top 6 material yet.

I don't think he is a top 6 but he does have a knack for scoring and apparently has had it for a while. I know it doesn't count nearly as much in the AHL or NHL but look at his numbers with the Petes:

2002-2003 Peterborough Petes-OHL 67 7 9 16 -11 67 0 1

2003-2004 Peterborough Petes-OHL 67 14 14 28 -6 124 5 1

2004-2005 Peterborough Petes-OHL 62 24 28 52 15 146 9 0

2005-2006 Peterborough Petes-OHL 68 16 35 51 20 121 10 2

I don't think he is a top 6 but he does have a knack for scoring and apparently has had it for a while. I know it doesn't count nearly as much in the AHL or NHL but look at his numbers with the Petes:

2002-2003 Peterborough Petes-OHL 67 7 9 16 -11 67 0 1

2003-2004 Peterborough Petes-OHL 67 14 14 28 -6 124 5 1

2004-2005 Peterborough Petes-OHL 62 24 28 52 15 146 9 0

2005-2006 Peterborough Petes-OHL 68 16 35 51 20 121 10 2

The only thing I worry about is these stats look similar to Kaleta's and the guy below was a first rounder..

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2007-08 Peterborough Petes OHL 58 9 12 21 74 5 1 0 1 2

2008-09 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 24 39 63 136 4 0 2 2 8

2009-10 Peterborough Petes OHL 25 8 15 23 50

The only thing I worry about is these stats look similar to Kaleta's and the guy below was a first rounder..

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2007-08 Peterborough Petes OHL 58 9 12 21 74 5 1 0 1 2

2008-09 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 24 39 63 136 4 0 2 2 8

2009-10 Peterborough Petes OHL 25 8 15 23 50

Z's number look a lot better in his first two years than Kaleta's did though. Just say, could be a fluke but could be looking at a decent scoring/grinder line. Don't most teams have at least one of those?

I agree with you he is hot, But I repectfully disagree with you on the top 6 material subject. He plays against the top lines and scores? There is more there than just a checker, to be sure. He needs to continue to improve, this I will agree with, but he is producing just as much as the current top 6 is at this time. I wouldn't mind him up on line 2 with Connolly and MacArthur. Couldn't hurt and as you pointed out, he is playing out of his mind right now.

Z's number look a lot better in his first two years than Kaleta's did though. Just say, could be a fluke but could be looking at a decent scoring/grinder line. Don't most teams have at least one of those?

Sure. I guess I'm still going back on the pick of Kassian and wishing Kulikov was the selection instead. Grinders with a scoring touch can be found in other places than the top half of the first round of the draft. Maybe I'm going out of my way to prove my point though.

Sure. I guess I'm still going back on the pick of Kassian and wishing Kulikov was the selection instead. Grinders with a scoring touch can be found in other places than the top half of the first round of the draft. Maybe I'm going out of my way to prove my point though.

Not at all. I know what you mean.

I agree with you he is hot, But I repectfully disagree with you on the top 6 material subject. He plays against the top lines and scores? There is more there than just a checker, to be sure. He needs to continue to improve, this I will agree with, but he is producing just as much as the current top 6 is at this time. I wouldn't mind him up on line 2 with Connolly and MacArthur. Couldn't hurt and as you pointed out, he is playing out of his mind right now.

I agree he is hot and he works hard at and is opportunistic. Reminds me more of a young Sean Avery type and he could have those type of skills as long as he keeps his sandpaper approach. I agree with an earlier post it depends on chemistry and whatever works for him. It seems like Kennedy and he have chemistry, but Kaleta seems to fitting in with a couple of different folks and works well. Vanek, Grier, and Kaleta briefly seemed like a force and it seemed to light a fire under Vanek especially physically. He has been playing a lot better since he was with them for a while.

What I like is his versatility. Yes he has some scoring touch and obviously has some jets. And as he matured like those stats with the Petes showed, as time goes on he gets better and scores more. It does not have to be settled now. Let it work itself out. It would be interesting to put him Hecht and Kennedy and see if they can get Jochen's scoring touch back. Not sure, but I do believe they bring energy to whoever they are playing with. Gerbe seems like he may also have reached that stage of maturity too. Nice problems for the Sabres to have, can't wait till Kassian matures.

Kaleta> Pommers

That said, I'd prefer him to stay on the 3rd line. I like his game w/Kennedy and can see those two together for a long time. It just reminds me how "incomplete" our top 6 really are. They should be taking notes on Kaleta's approach to the game. His work ethic and effort each night are going to make it hard for Ruff to NOT give him a letter next year, I would think.

It's funny watching our 1st/2nd line come onto the ice after seeing guys like Kaleta working so hard. I know it's not Roy's/Pommer's/Timmy's game to work the boards but to see these guys turn the puck over so easily after minimal contact is enough to make me not want to watch them at all. I find myself begging for Hecht/Grier/Mair to come back onto the ice just to see some effort. That's sad....

Archived