GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

When Butler gets back Ruff has to sit Rivet, no doubt. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall even one crucial/important/clutch play that Rivet has made this season. When we signed him I was thrilled by the signing - I had expected a big, rugged, stable presence at the blue line who would dictate play, a la Pronger or Niedermeyer. Alas. The two biggest things he's done in his time here were that tying goal against the Sharks the day after the plane crash, and being the solid presence that Butler needed last season to mature and grow into the team.

2 points. 1st, Lindy was benched near the end of his term as captain of the Sabres (shortly before getting traded to the Strangers). Through the years he has spoken often of that experience and he has stated that he will NEVER move a captain of the team to the pressbox. Rivet may be off his game, but until it is to the point that they're getting rid of him, he will not sit for performance related issues.

2nd, there has never been a season that Rivet was in the Pronger / Niedermeyer category and there have probably only been a handful (at best) of games where Rivet was in that category. I don't think you could put him in the Robin Reghier category although that is more the style game he plays when he's on. When he's on his game, he is a big, rugged, stable presence but he has never dictated play.

2 points. 1st, Lindy was benched near the end of his term as captain of the Sabres (shortly before getting traded to the Strangers). Through the years he has spoken often of that experience and he has stated that he will NEVER move a captain of the team to the pressbox. Rivet may be off his game, but until it is to the point that they're getting rid of him, he will not sit for performance related issues.

2nd, there has never been a season that Rivet was in the Pronger / Niedermeyer category and there have probably only been a handful (at best) of games where Rivet was in that category. I don't think you could put him in the Robin Reghier category although that is more the style game he plays when he's on. When he's on his game, he is a big, rugged, stable presence but he has never dictated play.

Agree on both points for the most part. Just wondering when he is going to be "on his game"? I've been waiting for 1-1/2 years. :D

Ah, yes, the poopy twins. No pleasure derived from that game? Lindy sucks. Darcy sucks. Yes, they beat the best team in the league right now, but they were lucky.

Well, the Sabres are on pace for 102 points this year. They are still inconsistent, but they are undeniably better than last year, by a significant margin. Somebody in the organization is doing something right, and it's not just Miller. Somebody made a trade at the draft last year to snag Myers (who led the team again in ice time tonight even though it seemed like he had the yips in the first half of the game). Somebody else is doing a pretty good job coaching him -- in fact it's the same guy who seems to have awakened Tallinder from the dead.

And yes, the Sabres aren't going anywhere this year unless Miller is on his game. The same is true of almost any team in the NHL with respect to its best player.

I frankly can't understand how anyone could watch that game and Lindy's press conference and not immediately realize that the thought of canning him is ridiculous.

Are we going to do this all season? Every time the Sabres have a good game, Lindy's critics are challenged? After the strong 10-game start, this is a .500 team. Going .500 the rest of the way will mean no playoffs again. Let's just hang on and wait for the season to play out.

But doesn't a game like last night prove that Lindy has the "horses" to win?

Agree on both points for the most part. Just wondering when he is going to be "on his game"? I've been waiting for 1-1/2 years. :D

Good question.

He played very well at the beginning of the season last year before getting hurt. He's had spells where he's played that way since, but this season his play has been disappointing. He's noticable on the ice, and not often for hitting someone; he should be invisible except when putting a hurt on someone.

Not sure if he's playing through an injury or if we're expecting too much of a 35 year old that has played phyical his whole career, or more likely a combination. He's only been on the ice for 13 ES goals against which is best of the 5 D that have played regular shifts all season.

Ah, yes, the poopy twins. No pleasure derived from that game? Lindy sucks. Darcy sucks. Yes, they beat the best team in the league right now, but they were lucky.

Well, the Sabres are on pace for 102 points this year. They are still inconsistent, but they are undeniably better than last year, by a significant margin. Somebody in the organization is doing something right, and it's not just Miller. Somebody made a trade at the draft last year to snag Myers (who led the team again in ice time tonight even though it seemed like he had the yips in the first half of the game). Somebody else is doing a pretty good job coaching him -- in fact it's the same guy who seems to have awakened Tallinder from the dead.

And yes, the Sabres aren't going anywhere this year unless Miller is on his game. The same is true of almost any team in the NHL with respect to its best player.

I frankly can't understand how anyone could watch that game and Lindy's press conference and not immediately realize that the thought of canning him is ridiculous.

With maybe the exception of New Jersey I can't think of many teams where the disparity is greater in respect to the teams performance with/without their best player. It is taking a Hasek like year from Miller to keep this team in the mix. Right now this teams playoff chances rest solely on the back of Ryan Miller. It is going to be a long season and Miller is going to be playing a ridiculous amount of hockey. I hope for the Sabres and fans sake that his body can hold out. If it does and Miller can carry this team into the playoffs? Then the only question should be, will the voters give miller the Vezina and the Hart. Right now there is no one playing better in goal and no single player is more valuable to their team than Miller.

Are we going to do this all season? Every time the Sabres have a good game, Lindy's critics are challenged? After the strong 10-game start, this is a .500 team. Going .500 the rest of the way will mean no playoffs again. Let's just hang on and wait for the season to play out.

Aren't 90% of your posts calls for Lindy to go? Keep those quiet until the end of the season and I'll gladly stop responding.

As for last night constituting proof of horses -- which horses? Miller, certainly, but (as RJ would say) who else? Who else? The Sabres got goals from Montador, Tallinder and Gerbe. The guys who are supposed to score again failed to do so (although, to be fair, I thought Vanek had a pretty good game). They beat a team with superior talent by staying focused and playing very good team defense and getting great goaltending. If that isn't the essence of good coaching, I don't know what is.

Do you think Lindy should be accountable for not getting them to play that well every night? Can you name a team in the league accomplishing more with less or equivalent talent to that of the Sabres?

Aren't 90% of your posts calls for Lindy to go? Keep those quiet until the end of the season and I'll gladly stop responding.

As for last night constituting proof of horses -- which horses? Miller, certainly, but (as RJ would say) who else? Who else? The Sabres got goals from Montador, Tallinder and Gerbe. The guys who are supposed to score again failed to do so (although, to be fair, I thought Vanek had a pretty good game). They beat a team with superior talent by staying focused and playing very good team defense and getting great goaltending. If that isn't the essence of good coaching, I don't know what is.

Do you think Lindy should be accountable for not getting them to play that well every night? Can you name a team in the league accomplishing more with less or equivalent talent to that of the Sabres?

Obtusosity. I wouldn't even know where to start with this one, so I won't.

With maybe the exception of New Jersey I can't think of many teams where the disparity is greater in respect to the teams performance with/without their best player. It is taking a Hasek like year from Miller to keep this team in the mix. Right now this teams playoff chances rest solely on the back of Ryan Miller. It is going to be a long season and Miller is going to be playing a ridiculous amount of hockey. I hope for the Sabres and fans sake that his body can hold out. If it does and Miller can carry this team into the playoffs? Then the only question should be, will the voters give miller the Vezina and the Hart. Right now there is no one playing better in goal and no single player is more valuable to their team than Miller.

I agree with everything in this post, except that NJ played very well without Brodeur last year. However, I also think that Washington can't win a playoff series without Ovechkin, Boston can't win one without Chara, the Rangers (who are 50/50 to miss the playoffs anyway) can't win one without Lundy, Calgary can't win one without Kiprusoff, etc. etc. The Sabres might have more eggs in Miller's basket than those other teams do in their top guys' baskets, but the difference isn't that substantial.

I agree with everything in this post, except that NJ played very well without Brodeur last year. However, I also think that Washington can't win a playoff series without Ovechkin, Boston can't win one without Chara, the Rangers (who are 50/50 to miss the playoffs anyway) can't win one without Lundy, Calgary can't win one without Kiprusoff, etc. etc. The Sabres might have more eggs in Miller's basket than those other teams do in their top guys' baskets, but the difference isn't that substantial.

I imagine inkman will be along right quick.

Again ... your post is one of the more intelligent reads ...

Picture one of 30 with him and Semin is priceless.

I imagine inkman will be along right quick.

I was thinking about inserting my efforts elsewhere. (see above)

See complaint thread -- he's struggling with relationship issues. No time for hockey talk.

Always time for a good dick joke...no matter what my is thinking.

Hmmm. Very interesting situation we might have on hand.

Back to the GDT, it was my wife's brother-in-law's birthday yesterday. He's a diehard Caps fan, and he knows I love the Sabres. I guess you could say he cried in his beer last night.

"Can't win a playoff" series is more substantial than qualifying for the draft lottery. Those teams could at least make the playoffs. Without Miller the Sabres wouldn't even come close. If Miller got hurt long term today the conversation around here would turn to who the Sabres are drafting with their top five pick.

"Can't win a playoff" series is more substantial than qualifying for the draft lottery. Those teams could at least make the playoffs. Without Miller the Sabres wouldn't even come close. If Miller got hurt long term today the conversation around here would turn to who the Sabres are drafting with their top five pick.

I think you're right if you assume that Lalime would become the #1 guy in Miller's absence. Realistically, I think the Sabres would immediately bring in Biron or another decent stopgap and then find themselves, like last year, in a death struggle with the rest of the #7-#12 teams.

Archived