Flyers Fire Stevens

rbochan

I suppose this surprises me a little. They just don't seem to be meshing well as a team, and maybe they think the coaching change will fix that.

However, TSN is now reporting that Laviolette may be in line for the job....That will only give me one more reason to loathe Philadelphia.

I've never been of firing a coach mid-season, but if you're going to do it, you might as well do it early. Sometimes it can give a spark to the team, and it still leaves enough time for the team to get adjusted to the new guy before the playoffs come around. If you do it in the second half, you've written off the year.

I've never been of firing a coach mid-season, but if you're going to do it, you might as well do it early. Sometimes it can give a spark to the team, and it still leaves enough time for the team to get adjusted to the new guy before the playoffs come around. If you do it in the second half, you've written off the year.

It worked out OK for Pittsburgh. :)

Flyers have a 8pm Press conference to confirm.

Also, Kevin McCarthy has quit the Carolina Hurricanes to go to Philly to assist Laviolette.

I don't like the move for Philly but i think Laviolette is a great hire. I think he's a great coach, especially for their style of play. I think their going to be very tough to beat under him as coach. He had a very nice deal with Carolina so Philly had to pay him a lot. I don't think Stevens would have been fired if Laviolette didn't agree to come back to coach.

I am shocked by this move. What the hell did they expect with Emery in goal, and facing Pittsburgh six times a year, and Buffalo and Washington four times?

Bingo.

If you're going to have Emery as your starter, you better do two things :

1. Make sure no cross ice passes connect, since the guy has the NO lateral mobility.

2. Make sure you have a defense who are quite happy clearing rebound after rebound night in and night out.

If you can succeed in this, Emery has a chance of finishing a season with .905 SV%.

The guy's a bum, but the Flyers always were clueless when it came to goalies.

Bingo.

If you're going to have Emery as your starter, you better do two things :

1. Make sure no cross ice passes connect, since the guy has the NO lateral mobility.

2. Make sure you have a defense who are quite happy clearing rebound after rebound night in and night out.

If you can succeed in this, Emery has a chance of finishing a season with .905 SV%.

The guy's a bum, but the Flyers always were clueless when it came to goalies.

I know, Bernie Parent sucked.

Well, I'll fill in with what I think Kristian meant: Recently, the Flyers have been clueless when it comes to goalies. Sure, they had Lindbergh, but he seemed to hit a wall early in his development. Then they had Hextall, which was the beginning of the downward spiral at that position in Filly.

Well, I'll fill in with what I think Kristian meant: Recently, the Flyers have been clueless when it comes to goalies. Sure, they had Lindbergh, but he seemed to hit a wall early in his development. Then they had Hextall, which was the beginning of the downward spiral at that position in Filly.

Ouch!. Very cold.

I think you know what I meant, but just to make absolutely certain, I'll elaborate :

The Flyers have been clueless with their goalies since the mid-nineties.

Hextall, Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Chechmanek, Esche, Nittymaki, Biron and now Emery.

Pretty much everyone have started out with flashes of brilliance, only to turn into mediocre goalies within a season or two.

Philly routinely has had good teams, with below-average goaltenders, and we all know you very rarely win anything without strong goaltending.

I think you know what I meant, but just to make absolutely certain, I'll elaborate :

Hextall, Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Chechmanek, Esche, Niittymaki, Biron and now Emery.

Pretty much everyone have started out with flashes of brilliance, only to turn into mediocre goalies within a season or two.

Philly routinely has had good teams, with below-average goaltenders, and we all know you very rarely win anything without strong goaltending.

Fixed. There are 2 "i"s after the "N" in Niittymaki. My apologies if you feel insulted. (OTOH, I don't know how to do umlauts over the "a" on his name on here unless I copy and paste from another site, so that's my fault right there.)

FWIW, I thought that, in spite of his not-so-great performance with the Flyers, Niittymaki practically stood on his head for Team Finland in the 2006 Winter Olympics. The only problem is that he couldn't hold off Team Sweden and only got the Silver medal - and yet he won the MVP for the tournament.

Fixed. There are 2 "i"s after the "N" in Niittymaki. My apologies if you feel insulted. (OTOH, I don't know how to do umlauts over the "a" on his name on here unless I copy and paste from another site, so that's my fault right there.)

FWIW, I thought that, in spite of his not-so-great performance with the Flyers, Niittymaki practically stood on his head for Team Finland in the 2006 Winter Olympics. The only problem is that he couldn't hold off Team Sweden and only got the Silver medal - and yet he won the MVP for the tournament.

No I don't feel insulted.

With regards to Niittymäki though :thumbsup: , I don't think there's any disputing that he was able to go on tears like most other goalies. Heck, Biron started out very well after being dealt to the Flyers, if I recall correctly?

Boucher stood on his head in the 2000 playoffs, for instance.

You could always argue if this is a case of the team not getting the most out of their goaltenders, or whether they're just picking up the wrong ones. I think it's a little of both, although the case being Emery, I can't imagine why anyone would pick him up.

No I don't feel insulted.

With regards to Niittymäki though :thumbsup: , I don't think there's any disputing that he was able to go on tears like most other goalies. Heck, Biron started out very well after being dealt to the Flyers, if I recall correctly?

Boucher stood on his head in the 2000 playoffs, for instance.

You could always argue if this is a case of the team not getting the most out of their goaltenders, or whether they're just picking up the wrong ones. I think it's a little of both, although the case being Emery, I can't imagine why anyone would pick him up.

Salvation Army consignment shop? :unsure:

Hextall, Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Chechmanek, Esche, Nittymaki, Biron and now Emery.

Bump

Here's another addition to Philly goaltending mediocrity.

Link

Archived