Ty Conklin

UncleWally

we could create quite a list of backup goalies that looked unserviceable while here, but then went on to look more than serviceable on another team.

i like lindy a lot, but readily agree that one of his biggest flaws has been his historic inability to get production out of his backup goalie.

Conklin was in Buffalo for about a month and a half and played 5 games ... that's about 20 over a 6-month season. He didn't suck because he didn't get work in Buffalo. He had played only 11 games from October-February in Columbus, how is that Lindy's fault? His save pct was lower in C-bus than it was in Buffalo. He just sucked that year. In fact, he has had one good year in his life where his save pct was above average, it just happened to be the year after he left and went to a Cup finals team. He won games last year in Det but his play was average.

Who else are we talking about since Biron left? T-Bo is out of the league, and he wasn't so great before he got to Buffalo as a backup ... in 05-06 in Pittsburgh he played 16 games and his GAA was 4.46, SV pct .876 ... then he had a decent year (NOT great: 22 GP, 2.83, .909) and he comes to Buffalo and sucks again (3.31, .869) and it's Lindy's fault?

I've made the case before, there is a reason these guys are backups. They are NOT VERY GOOD TO START WITH. It's just like in baseball where middle relievers are awesome one year and suck the next ... it's because if they were any good they would be starting or closing. It's a crapshoot what you are going to get from year to year.

The fact is the Sabres have a goalie who they can play 65-70 times a year and they NEED him to play that much, just like NJ and VAN and SJ, and CGY ... it's not just Buffalo. Look at Kiprusoff's backups' numbers ... they suck too.

They need to find a guy who can deal with playing 15 games or less and be average. The problem is more (not all) that they have not picked the right guy, not how that guy is handled. Because if they are getting the WORSE goalie more work just to keep him AVERAGE, they are giving away points.

Lindy DOES have a reponsibility here ... but it is whether or not he is burning out Miller ... I understand that concern. So he has to communicate with him and make sure he gets the rest he needs. Some of the backups' play is on him, but I submit they would still mostly have sucked.

Miller also has a responsibility here, to make sure he can handle the workload. He says he learned from the past and can do it. We'll see, but so far, so good.

And Darcy has a responsibility to find someone who is not on the verge of being washed up and just happens to be coming off a decent season.

You can't throw it all on Lindy and say he needs to get production out of guys who historically are just not very good. It's like saying he needs to find a way to get 4th liners to score more and maybe if they got more ice time and played the PP they would. Screw that, play your best guys the most and the other guys need to know their roles and play them well. Granted, you have to pick your spots well for the 4th line just like the backup goalie, but they are still 4th liners you are throwing out there.

Lindy could pick his spots better maybe, but I don't want him picking more spots. Do your job and stop the puck once in a while, Backup Guy. ;)

Conklin was in Buffalo for about a month and a half and played 5 games ... that's about 20 over a 6-month season. He didn't suck because he didn't get work in Buffalo. He had played only 11 games from October-February in Columbus, how is that Lindy's fault? His save pct was lower in C-bus than it was in Buffalo. He just sucked that year. In fact, he has had one good year in his life where his save pct was above average, it just happened to be the year after he left and went to a Cup finals team. He won games last year in Det but his play was average.

Who else are we talking about since Biron left? T-Bo is out of the league, and he wasn't so great before he got to Buffalo as a backup ... in 05-06 in Pittsburgh he played 16 games and his GAA was 4.46, SV pct .876 ... then he had a decent year (NOT great: 22 GP, 2.83, .909) and he comes to Buffalo and sucks again (3.31, .869) and it's Lindy's fault?

I've made the case before, there is a reason these guys are backups. They are NOT VERY GOOD TO START WITH. It's just like in baseball where middle relievers are awesome one year and suck the next ... it's because if they were any good they would be starting or closing. It's a crapshoot what you are going to get from year to year.

The fact is the Sabres have a goalie who they can play 65-70 times a year and they NEED him to play that much, just like NJ and VAN and SJ, and CGY ... it's not just Buffalo. Look at Kiprusoff's backups' numbers ... they suck too.

They need to find a guy who can deal with playing 15 games or less and be average. The problem is more (not all) that they have not picked the right guy, not how that guy is handled. Because if they are getting the WORSE goalie more work just to keep him AVERAGE, they are giving away points.

Lindy DOES have a reponsibility here ... but it is whether or not he is burning out Miller ... I understand that concern. So he has to communicate with him and make sure he gets the rest he needs. Some of the backups' play is on him, but I submit they would still mostly have sucked.

Miller also has a responsibility here, to make sure he can handle the workload. He says he learned from the past and can do it. We'll see, but so far, so good.

And Darcy has a responsibility to find someone who is not on the verge of being washed up and just happens to be coming off a decent season.

You can't throw it all on Lindy and say he needs to get production out of guys who historically are just not very good. It's like saying he needs to find a way to get 4th liners to score more and maybe if they got more ice time and played the PP they would. Screw that, play your best guys the most and the other guys need to know their roles and play them well. Granted, you have to pick your spots well for the 4th line just like the backup goalie, but they are still 4th liners you are throwing out there.

Lindy could pick his spots better maybe, but I don't want him picking more spots. Do your job and stop the puck once in a while, Backup Guy. ;)

Good post.

I'll say the current situation reminds me a lot of the old days, when Hasek got a night off and either Trefilov or Shields would play.

I'm probably not being all that fair to Shields, but points certainly didn't come easy when The Dominator wasn't playing in those days.

And in all honesty, I actually feel good in a funny way knowing there's such a huge gap in the performance of the backup and #1, cause it tells me the #1 is playing well.

Furthermore, while Lalime hasn't won yet this year, he stopped 90% of the shots he faced last season. I don't really see how you can expect more from your backup than a fighting chance, which I feel he is able to give his team on at least half of his starts. No, he won't be stealing you games, but that's not his job either. If the goalie NEEDS to steal games for the team to win, that's either a coaching issue, or a roster issue in general.

The thing about backups here in Buffalo, is that we've had years where other teams seemingly have played their backups against us a lot, and at the same time we have seemingly had a nasty habit of making said backups look like superstars, when they clearly weren't.

My rant notwithstanding, there is also something Miller said earlier in the week ... something about how they have tinkered with the system over the years to fit his game ... I am sure it's technical hockey stuff that is WAY over my head, but maybe they just need to find a backup whose style is more similar to Miller's. For instance, if Lalime is leaving rebounds in the "wrong" place, it's going to mess with the defensemen ... I would think.

we could create quite a list of backup goalies that looked unserviceable while here, but then went on to look more than serviceable on another team.

i like lindy a lot, but readily agree that one of his biggest flaws has been his historic inability to get production out of his backup goalie.

My rant notwithstanding, there is also something Miller said earlier in the week ... something about how they have tinkered with the system over the years to fit his game ... I am sure it's technical hockey stuff that is WAY over my head, but maybe they just need to find a backup whose style is more similar to Miller's. For instance, if Lalime is leaving rebounds in the "wrong" place, it's going to mess with the defensemen ... I would think.

And that, kids, is the difference between a lazy and somewhat specious post and one that is well thought-out and substantiated.

As I'm sure Pipes is aware, my initial post was simply meant to create this teaching moment for all the young posters out there.

:bag:

People (like Harry last night, and Regier before him) are starting to say it out loud. Miller is playing like his hair's on fire because it's an Olympic year. Ryan's not going to tell Lindy he's tired. He wants every game, and when he's not getting a lot of shots, he'll be upset like he was very early in the season.

Let's be grown-ups here.

People (like Harry last night, and Regier before him) are starting to say it out loud. Miller is playing like his hair's on fire because it's an Olympic year. Ryan's not going to tell Lindy he's tired. He wants every game, and when he's not getting a lot of shots, he'll be upset like he was very early in the season.

Let's be grown-ups here.

There ya go on Lindy again....I mean c'mon get over him!

Wow. Issue settled and closed. Very nice.

I'll say the current situation reminds me a lot of the old days, when Hasek got a night off and either Trefilov or Shields would play.

I'm probably not being all that fair to Shields, but points certainly didn't come easy when The Dominator wasn't playing in those days.

Roloson was a pretty good backup when he was here. I think he won a couple of playoff games in '98 or '99 when Dom was hurt. (Remember when he said "I cannot make the butterfly?")

Let's be grown-ups here.

Perhaps you should check yo'self.

And that, kids, is the difference between a lazy and somewhat specious post and one that is well thought-out and substantiated.

As I'm sure Pipes is aware, my initial post was simply meant to create this teaching moment for all the young posters out there.

bag.gif

Probably don't want the youngsters as long-winded as me ... even Shader would not read it and he's a veteran used to my diatribes.

Probably don't want the youngsters as long-winded as me ... even Shader would not read it and he's a veteran used to my diatribes.

Ok, I'll admit it. I read it. What can I say? I'm bored right now. ;)

The one thing I'd add is that right now, Miller is starting to look like he is an elite goali in this league. If that is indeed the truth, he should be able to push the 70 game mark (sure, the olympics complicate things). Yeah, they're screwed if he falters or gets injured, but what team can't say that about someone? Ideally, you want to be maxed out at every single spot on the roster, but that's not possible in today's system. The team has to pin their hopes somewhere and their choice was Miller.

Ok, I'll admit it. I read it. What can I say? I'm bored right now. wink.gif

The one thing I'd add is that right now, Miller is starting to look like he is an elite goali in this league. If that is indeed the truth, he should be able to push the 70 game mark (sure, the olympics complicate things). Yeah, they're screwed if he falters or gets injured, but what team can't say that about someone? Ideally, you want to be maxed out at every single spot on the roster, but that's not possible in today's system. The team has to pin their hopes somewhere and their choice was Miller.

Exactly ... if they are going to pay him like Kipper and Nabokov and Lundqvist and Brodeur, he needs their workload. If you have a 55-game goalie, you don't pay him like one of those guys. He says he wants to be at that level, it's on him to prepare and make sure he can handle it. It's not their responsibility to baby him.

Whatever the case, you can always tell the Sabres are in first place (or pretty close) when the backup goalie debate pops up ... so I take all this as a good thing even if my thesis is wrong and Lindy just sucks at handling backups. I hope we have this discussion 3 times a season.

It was a good post and I agree with most of it. But one thing I think you can put on Lindy is that the team has averaged 1 less goal per game when the backup plays. That's significant and he's never figured it out.

It was a good post and I agree with most of it. But one thing I think you can put on Lindy is that the team has averaged 1 less goal per game when the backup plays. That's significant and he's never figured it out.

That may be true this season, but that's 3 whole starts. Not exactly a huge sample, but I will agree they have played like crap in his games this season.

OK I just looked it up ... they averaged 3.05 goals per game for Lalime last season. The averaged 2.91 for the season so ... your theory doesn't hold up for last season. I don't remember them scoring so much less for Biron.

Exactly ... if they are going to pay him like Kipper and Nabokov and Lundqvist and Brodeur, he needs their workload. If you have a 55-game goalie, you don't pay him like one of those guys. He says he wants to be at that level, it's on him to prepare and make sure he can handle it. It's not their responsibility to baby him.

The book on Miller always has been that he wears down. Too skinny.

That may be true this season, but that's 3 whole starts. Not exactly a huge sample, but I will agree they have played like crap in his games this season.

OK I just looked it up ... they averaged 3.05 goals per game for Lalime last season. The averaged 2.91 for the season so ... your theory doesn't hold up for last season. I don't remember them scoring so much less for Biron.

It was definitely true when Hasek was around. I remember them making a point of it in the playoffs during a pregame show.

The book on Miller always has been that he wears down. Too skinny.

I agree, but if these guys never got better or worse the same team would win every year. He's getting older and is not as skin-and-bones as he was in the past. He says he has changed his conditioning to deal with it ... he certainly changed something because he is a better goalie. Only time will tell, but like I said, when he signed that deal he took on the responsibility of being a franchise goalie, not 2/3 of a platoon.

Either way, even if he does wear down, the guys they have had behind him have not been good goalies. That's all I am saying. It's not Lindy has been ruining the second coming of Bernie Parent or something.

It was definitely true when Hasek was around. I remember them making a point of it in the playoffs during a pregame show.

OK ... maybe ... but that was 8-10 years ago ... SOOOOO much has changed, from the personel to Ruff's system ... he is not coaching the same guys or doing it the same way that he did in 1999. Those teams had FAR less firepower than even this team, let alone the 2006-07 group. They barely scored for Hasek.

Archived