GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:30pm

3 years ago, the Sabres started out as a good team and wasn't really considered "for real" till they came out and beat Philly 9-0 in early november. Now, Philly on the other hand, was in the tank and this game buried them. This year, both teams are playing great, but, it's Buffalo vs. Philadelphia in early November... I'm just sayin...

LETS GO BUFFALO!

The Flyers PP has been smokin' hot. Stay out of the box!

You better believe that.. their Away PP record is 4 of 15 (26.7%, 3rd in league) and overall record is 16 of 57 (28.1%, 1st in league) with 2 shorties allowed. In comparison, at Home we're 9 of 39 (23.1%, 9th in league) and overall 11 of 59 (18.6%, 17th in league). Even though the PP has looked utterly unimaginative at times we have scored PP goals in 9 games so far, which is not a bad sign - better than getting all of them in a few games and coming up empty in most of the rest.

As far as the PK goes, Philly on the Road has allowed 3 of 20 (85%, 9th in league) and overall 7 of 52 (86.5%, 4th in league). The Sabres PK at Home has let in 5 of 25 (80%, 16th in league) and overall 8 of 42 (81%, 15th in league). Neither team has scored any shorthanded goals this season - that is quite amazing because with players like Mike Richards the Flyers led the league last year with 16!!

Philly has been battling the flu all week, so we definitely can't use that excuse if we lose. I think Briere is hurt too. Shakira is our only guy still sick I believe.

Didn't Philly sweep us last year? This is a statement game for sure, I expect our guys to come out flying after a couple days rest and hopefully the flu behind them.

Can't wait for this one...go Sabres!

Lets get a big W tonight before we have to throw the kid in goal tomorrow! By the way, did i see Briere was injured in an above post? That would be a shocker...

Yes he is... He is listed as day-to-day on my fantasy team... Groin again...

EEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I hope he gets rocked for 5+ tonight.

PS I was just watching the video of the Buffalo v. Ottawa brawl on the Buffalo News blog section and still can't believe that Emery held his own against Peters. :lol:

EEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I hope he gets rocked for 5+ tonight.

PS I was just watching the video of the Buffalo v. Ottawa brawl on the Buffalo News blog section and still can't believe that Emery held his own against Peters. :lol:

didn't he box or something before starting hockey? or was it his dad who was a boxer?

just my opinion, but there are very few players fighters in the NHL who can't hold their own against Peters.

7:30pm

3 years ago, the Sabres started out as a good team and wasn't really considered "for real" till they came out and beat Philly 9-0 in early november. Now, Philly on the other hand, was in the tank and this game buried them. This year, both teams are playing great, but, it's Buffalo vs. Philadelphia in early November... I'm just sayin...

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Yes that was fantastic! Hitchcock fired the next day or two after! For what it's worth... it was 9-1, on National tv (VS). Awesome game!

Don't let up, let's see another 60-minute effort. Pommers nets two tonight.

This is a big one. If the Sabres are for real they will come out swinging and play hard for 60 minutes.

TC is really going to have to be aware of where Pronger is and not skate recklessly, because Pronger will not hesitate to hit hard and high.

Time to exorcise last year's demons.

I hate the Flyers.

Yes that was fantastic! Hitchcock fired the next day or two after! For what it's worth... it was 9-1, on National tv (VS). Awesome game!

Don't let up, let's see another 60-minute effort. Pommers nets two tonight.

Probably mixed it up with the 8-0 win in the playoffs in 01!

This is a big one. If the Sabres are for real they will come out swinging and play hard for 60 minutes.

TC is really going to have to be aware of where Pronger is and not skate recklessly, because Pronger will not hesitate to hit hard and high.

Time to exorcise last year's demons.

I hate the Flyers.

I was at the game last year when Biron shut us out 3-0.. very very painful. This is one game we have to burst out of the gates and skate hard for the full 60 minutes (maybe 65, who knows). Really hope Ruff has the team show up today ready to play. An effort of the kind we put up against the Redwings would be welcome.

I was at the game last year when Biron shut us out 3-0.. very very painful. This is one game we have to burst out of the gates and skate hard for the full 60 minutes (maybe 65, who knows). Really hope Ruff has the team show up today ready to play. An effort of the kind we put up against the Redwings would be welcome.

I want to say I was at that game too. I just remember it being extremely boring and unwatchable. Ugh.

I really like this Philly team this year. They're just a good hockey club. That said, if we can win tonight, I will be officially convinced this team is good. This game is HUGE.

I want to say I was at that game too. I just remember it being extremely boring and unwatchable. Ugh.

I really like this Philly team this year. They're just a good hockey club. That said, if we can win tonight, I will be officially convinced this team is good. This game is HUGE.

Like the Detroit and Jersey games this is another test of where this team is and where they may be going. They don't necessarily have to come away with two points for this game to be a positive indicator. The young talented defensemen, Butler and Myers, will be tested. As will this teams "grit" and "veteran leadership." They Flyers are billed as the tougher team with more talent upfront than the Sabres. The Sabres should have a huge edge in goal. It will be interesting to see if the Flyers physical play will cause the Sabres to stray from "the system" and play without patience.

Like the Detroit and Jersey games this is another test of where this team is and where they may be going. They don't necessarily have to come away with two points for this game to be a positive indicator. The young talented defensemen, Butler and Myers, will be tested. As will this teams "grit" and "veteran leadership." They Flyers are billed as the tougher team with more talent upfront than the Sabres. The Sabres should have a huge edge in goal. It will be interesting to see if the Flyers physical play will cause the Sabres to stray from "the system" and play without patience.

Good post. I'd just add that in addition to a strong 60-minute effort, I'd love to see Kaleta lay a big hit on Pronger.

They Flyers are billed as the tougher team with more talent upfront than the Sabres. The Sabres should have a huge edge in goal. It will be interesting to see if the Flyers physical play will cause the Sabres to stray from "the system" and play without patience.

Even with Briere and Gagne out?

Being in Philly I hear a lot of chatter, and there's lots of complaints this year. But there's always lots of complaints around here, so it's tough to tell which are real.

Good post. I'd just add that in addition to a strong 60-minute effort, I'd love to see Kaleta lay a big hit on Pronger.

And I'd like to see inkman dry-hump Sabretooth at center ice, with RJ doing the play by play --- "and another whack, another whack, the shhhhauuuuuuuggggghhhhhttttt!!!" We don't always get what we want.

Even with Briere and Gagne out?

Being in Philly I hear a lot of chatter, and there's lots of complaints this year. But there's always lots of complaints around here, so it's tough to tell which are real.

Richards and Carter are probably the best two forwards, from either team, that will be on the ice tonight. That kid van Riemsdyk is off to a pretty good start 13 points in 10 games while only averaging about 13 minutes of ice time. Briere and Gagne being out levels the forwards some. I'm not sure if it's enough to give the Sabres a edge there.

Richards and Carter are probably the best two forwards, from either team, that will be on the ice tonight. That kid van Riemsdyk is off to a pretty good start 13 points in 10 games while only averaging about 13 minutes of ice time. Briere and Gagne being out levels the forwards some. I'm not sure if it's enough to give the Sabres a edge there.

Don't forget the ace up our sleeve. Until Miller cools down, the Sabres have an edge in any game IMO.

Archived