Some Random Thoughts

bob_sauve28

* Man, I love this team! Staying close and winning at the end is the mark of a good team

* Darcy Regier deserves some credit. He's rebuilt this team on the fly with young talent and good veterans, even as the league threw him a curveball by changing back to a grinding style and away from the free skating way our team had been created for. Just look at the defense. He drafted all the young players and signed the vets. Did a real nice job there

* Thank God Mike Greer is back

* Miller is making it look so easy back there. Is he taking it to a new level this year?

* Chris Butler is the real deal.

* Myers, nuff said

* Big test coming up against a premier team on Tuesday.

* Man, I love this team! Staying close and winning at the end is the mark of a good team

* Darcy Regier deserves some credit. He's rebuilt this team on the fly with young talent and good veterans, even as the league threw him a curveball by changing back to a grinding style and away from the free skating way our team had been created for. Just look at the defense. He drafted all the young players and signed the vets. Did a real nice job there

* Miller is making it look so easy back there. Is he taking it to a new level this year?

* Myers, nuff said

The Sabres are in the softest part of their schedule. They have had a lot of time off as well. The test of this team will be when the schedule is more condensed and they are playing the Flyers, Devils, Bruins and even the Leafs. Detroit will be a good test for the early part of the season. It would go a long way if they can manage more than a goal against the Red Wings.

* Myers, nuff said

I am among the most optimistic here ... but, in the immortal words of The Wolf, let's not start sucking each other's d&$#s quite yet.

I liked a lot of things during the 6-0-2 start last season, too. And Myers and Butler are still going to look like young defensemen at some point. Still, I like the way they are playing ... obviously they need to score more, but if they keep getting pucks to the net 35 times a game, that will come. Hopefully it will come on the nights when the kid defensemen look like kids ... and/or when Lalime is playing.

Kennedy really impressed me last night ... I have no idea if he can bring that intensity 80 times, but ... someone on here compared him to Derek Plante ... ummmm, no. Not so far. I'll take Kennedy.

Folks aren't playing along.. I soldier on...

Have you seen the Ottawa lineup these days... Looks very different...

First Line: Milan Michalek, Jason Spezza, Nick Foligno

Second Line: Alex Kovalev, Mike Fisher, Daniel Alfredsson

Third Line: Jonathan Cheechoo, Peter Regin, Chris Neil

Fourth Line: Jarkko Ruutu, Chris Kelly, Shean Donovan

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Remember the Ottawa squads back in the day?

2005-2006 Sens had Heatley, Spezza, Alfreddson, Havlat, Redden (in his point producing prime), Chara and Hasek in net.

I don't think the Sens problems have been because of their forwards. They got rid of a lot of good defenseman and didn't recover for awhile.

* Myers, nuff said

Not trying to be negative but I wouldn't give Darcy all that much credit. I'm not sold on Steve Montador at all and he's been mediocre at best already this season. Yes he plays hard and plays physical but he coughs up the puck alot as well and makes alot of dumb decisions. Darcy needs to trade a Defenseman and package Paille in and get something this club could use. It's sad because Paille is a decent player when he's skating hard and throwing around his weight but for some reason he just maybe wants out of buffalo.

... I'm not sold on Steve Montador at all and he's been mediocre at best already this season. Yes he plays hard and plays physical but he coughs up the puck alot as well and makes alot of dumb decisions. ...

I am seeing this alot about Montador ... he hasn't been great, but didn't you just describe a better version of Kalinin in that at least he plays hard and plays physical? On most nights the last 3 years, that is a better version of Tallinder for a helluva lot less cash.

I also remember Lydman being HORRIBLE for about the first month in Buffalo and then settling in nicely and having a couple very good years. It's 3 games, let's let him get settled ... also, I read today that Montador and Lydman played as a pair on the Flames when they went to the finals ... maybe he will be better back together with him .... I don't know. Like I said, I agree he has made me cringe a few times but it's too early to call it a bad signing.

* Myers, nuff said

Im not ready to admit that yet. He put a couple of bandaids on a team that missed the playoffs two years in a row. I think its a stretch to say he "rebuilt the team on the fly". And Im not convinced the league has settled back into a "grinding" style of hockey. Im just seeing far too many games where the ice is wide open, and skill is being rewarded (ex the Chicago and Calgary game tonight, where Chicago came back from 5-0 to win 6-5 in OT).

Dammit. Still six games per year against the Sabre-killer.

bump

my favorite thread, can't ya tell...

For no apparent reason, the Fritos commercial popped into my head today. I haven't heard it in years and just started singing it..

It went aye-yi-yi-yah, I am the Frito Bandido, I like Fritos corn chips, I eat them a lot...

Archived