WIll the backup goaltending be a fiasco again?

LabattBlue

I"m not too confident that it will be different than last year. I read that Lalime had hip surgery on both hips and a sports hernia. Now I've also read it was just one hip as well which is bad enough. Those are tough to rebound from for goalies. I think Darcy should go buy a shooter tutor as the back-up.

1. WIll Lindy once again refuse to use his backup goalie on a regular basis(especially down the stretch)?

My biggest complaint about Lindy has always been his handling of the back-up goalie. The only time it worked out for him is when Biron and Miller were battling it out and played almost evenly. Otherwise it will be:

Play Miller often

Play Miller in crucial situations

Lose back-up due to not playing

Play Miller because back-up can't win games

If the team wants to make the playoffs this year, they need to use both goalies. The backup has to get a quarter of the games, plain and simple.

As good as Miller is, he is not the type that can play more than 60 games. He breaks down, mentally more-so, than physically.

Early on in the season Ruff must get Lalime games and build on them, win or lose. They should already have his starts charted imo.

If the team wants to make the playoffs this year, they need to use both goalies. The backup has to get a quarter of the games, plain and simple.

As good as Miller is, he is not the type that can play more than 60 games. He breaks down, mentally more-so, than physically.

Early on in the season Ruff must get Lalime games and build on them, win or lose. They should already have his starts charted imo.

Said it last year, and I'll say it again: Lalime should start every fourth game, regardless of who the Sabres are playing. Or at least, Ruff should divide the season into twenty groups of four consecutive games, pick which one of each four Lalime will start, and stick with that, if he needs more flexibility. But because Ruff leans toward playing Miller too much when he makes the decision game-by-game, he needs a plan now that he will stick to later.

Here are the first 2 months of the season. My choices for goalie.

DATE VISITOR HOME SCORE

Sat Oct 3, 2009 Canadiens Sabres MILLER

Thu Oct 8, 2009 Coyotes Sabres LALIME

Sat Oct 10, 2009 Sabres Predators MILLER

Tue Oct 13, 2009 Red Wings Sabres MILLER

Fri Oct 16, 2009 Islanders Sabres LALIME

Sat Oct 17, 2009 Thrashers Sabres MILLER

Wed Oct 21, 2009 Sabres Panthers MILLER

Sat Oct 24, 2009 Sabres Lightning LALIME

Wed Oct 28, 2009 Sabres Devils MILLER

Fri Oct 30, 2009 Maple Leafs Sabres MILLER

Sat Oct 31, 2009 Sabres Islanders LALIME

November 2009

DATE VISITOR HOME SCORE

Wed Nov 4, 2009 Islanders Sabres MILLER

Fri Nov 6, 2009 Flyers Sabres MILLER

Sat Nov 7, 2009 Sabres Bruins MILLER

Wed Nov 11, 2009 Oilers Sabres LALIME

Fri Nov 13, 2009 Flames Sabres MILLER

Sat Nov 14, 2009 Sabres Flyers LALIME

Wed Nov 18, 2009 Panthers Sabres MILLER

Fri Nov 20, 2009 Bruins Sabres MILLER

Sat Nov 21, 2009 Sabres Senators LALIME

Wed Nov 25, 2009 Sabres Capitals MILLER

Fri Nov 27, 2009 Sabres Flyers MILLER

Sat Nov 28, 2009 Hurricanes Sabres LALIME

Mon Nov 30, 2009 Sabres Maple Leafs MILLER

Miller gets 16 starts, Lalime 8

Lalime gets enough games to not get rusty and ruin his season. 58 games remain from this point on.

Here are the first 2 months of the season. My choices for goalie.

Miller gets 16 starts, Lalime 8

Lalime gets enough games to not get rusty and ruin his season. 58 games remain from this point on.

I love the concept, but the reality is Lalime would lose 4-6 of those games. The Sabres will be in a dog fight all season for the 6th to 8th spot in the Eastern Conference. They can't afford to sit Miller every other game.

I'm not sure if Lalime could handle that workload physically either....double hip surgery is no joke.

I love the concept, but the reality is Lalime would lose 4-6 of those games. The Sabres will be in a dog fight all season for the 6th to 8th spot in the Eastern Conference. They can't afford to sit Miller every other game.

Technically, that's every third game, not every other. Every other would be 12 for Miller, 12 for Lalime.

Personally, I'll be content if Miller gets 18 and Lalime gets 6, as long as it is done like that on a consistent basis. A nice 3:1 ratio that would give Lalime 20+ starts and Miller <60 going into the playoffs. The real question is whether the team will show up and play when Lalime is between the pipes. Not that Lalime didn't lose a couple of games last year on his own - almost any backup will - but he certainly wasn't as bad as his 5-13-3 record. With his play, they should have gone at least 8-10-3, which would have put them in the playoffs.

Great stuff here fellas. I'd like to see Miller get 2/3's of the starts and Lalime get the other 1/3. However we all know Ruff will mess up and start Miller for 20 games straight to open the season.

No, he usually does that later in the season. The backup actually gets a start or two early in the season.

rickshaw, your concept seems to be to give Lalime the "easy" games. Maybe that's not the right approach.

I almost got the feeling the first 10 games last year that Miller and Lalime could be a one-two punch. Lalime needs to play more, and in tough spots too.

We all know there are no easy games anymore. But I looked back and I gave Lalime starts against Ottawa (who owns us) Philly, and Carolina. Basically, aside from 2 games in 3 days, and one 11 day break, I have Lalime playing every 7 or 8 days. I don't see it benefiting anyone if Lalime doesn't start for 2 weeks. It could be tweaked upon further review, but to start the year having Lalime play one of 3 is, to me, a good idea. That way we'll know if he's up to the task or not. If not, make a change because come February it gets really tight for games being bunched together.

Okay prepare to shoot the messenger..

Isn't this whole topic a red herring? If you have a blue chip goal tender, you play him as many games as possible. If you have two quality goal tenders, you trade one. If you don't have a quality goal tender, you play the hot hand for as long as its hot. I just don't know too many teams that are in a position to platoon the goalies effectively. Now admittedly, I only watch the Sabres and whomever is playing them on a given night. So it may be that there are some teams out there that have a blue chip goal tender and a decent platoon (Detroit, others?) but realistically, isn't it the case most teams ride one guy and sweat out the other one's starts?

I just hope Lalime plays like he did before his hip problem flared up. You have to wonder how well a 35 year old dude can recover from hip surgery, especially since goaltending is such a hip-intensive job.

I think ultimately Lalime's playing time will depend on the team's W-L record. The bigger the cushion in the points standings, the more Lindy will feel comfortable playing Lalime. That seems to be the formula.

Okay prepare to shoot the messenger..

Isn't this whole topic a red herring? If you have a blue chip goal tender, you play him as many games as possible. If you have two quality goal tenders, you trade one. If you don't have a quality goal tender, you play the hot hand for as long as its hot. I just don't know too many teams that are in a position to platoon the goalies effectively. Now admittedly, I only watch the Sabres and whomever is playing them on a given night. So it may be that there are some teams out there that have a blue chip goal tender and a decent platoon (Detroit, others?) but realistically, isn't it the case most teams ride one guy and sweat out the other one's starts?

Problem is, Lindy seems to want to play Miller close to 70 games a year, if not more, and Miller doesn't handle that heavy load well. (Very few goalies do.) 73 games in 2007-08 was absurd. 59 last year, with the injury, and when he went down, the Sabres had a rusty backup. His best years were spent splitting time with Biron or taking 3/4 of the games--and yes, I know the teams in front of him were better then, too.

Lindy Ruff is not a stupid man. He plays Miller every chance he gets because he is this teams only chance to win. He knows the more you play Lalime the less chance he has at making the playoffs. Playing the backup for 20-25 games on paper sounds like a good idea. It's a good idea if you have a goaltender capable of playing 20-25 games backing-up your starting. Lalime is another of Regier's huge failures. What should be yet another nail in the coffin containing his future as Sabres GM.

Lindy Ruff is not a stupid man. He plays Miller every chance he gets because he is this teams only chance to win. He knows the more you play Lalime the less chance he has at making the playoffs. Playing the backup for 20-25 games on paper sounds like a good idea. It's a good idea if you have a goaltender capable of playing 20-25 games backing-up your starting. Lalime is another of Regier's huge failures. What should be yet another nail in the coffin containing his future as Sabres GM.

...not to beat a dead horse or anything.

The Sabres would have a better chance at the playoffs starting the dead horse in goal for 20-25 games than they would Lalime.

Not true. Lalime is way better than a dead horse. A dead horse can't go side-to-side.

Ruff has blew the backup goaltending ever since he started coaching. At first, Hasek hid his obvious judgement

problems but when Hasek left, it exposed Lindy as someone who needs to ride one goalie. Meanwhile Regier

has been getting someone elses' rejects as the Sabres backups and they haven't been working.

About Ruff: When you're a hammer, all problems look like a nail.

Ruff has blew the backup goaltending ever since he started coaching. At first, Hasek hid his obvious judgement

problems but when Hasek left, it exposed Lindy as someone who needs to ride one goalie. Meanwhile Regier

has been getting someone elses' rejects as the Sabres backups and they haven't been working.

About Ruff: When you're a hammer, all problems look like a nail.

Bittersweet Motel?

Archived