Grier's back

Mike Oxhurtz

Drury, Briere, Dumont or Zubrus?

I'm glad Grier is back and maybe he could make a difference with our post-season luck. But as fans, we shouldn't settle for mediocrity. IMO, the Sabres FO as usual, didn't do enough to build a Stanley Cup team this offseason.

There's that name again. Why is Zubrus always brought up in this conversation? Was there a big "bring back Joe Juneau" campaign for years after we rented him?

Agree 100%. I was unimpressed during his brief time here and did not understand why anyone would have wanted to re-sign him then or now! :doh:

There's that name again. Why is Zubrus always brought up in this conversation? Was there a big "bring back Joe Juneau" campaign for years after we rented him?

The best thing about picking up Juneau is that he couldn't score the 15 or so goals against us he seemed to score every year. God he was a sabre killer! He must have averaged a a goal a game against the sabres over his career.

The best thing about picking up Juneau is that he couldn't score the 15 or so goals against us he seemed to score every year. God he was a sabre killer! He must have averaged a a goal a game against the sabres over his career.

Thanks, now I'm going to start having nightmares about Peter Bondra.

Zubie was pretty solid, and I'd be happy with him on the Sabres, but not at $3.4MM x 6 years, which is what he got from NJ.

Yeah but Max has made slightly more than Zubrus during the two seasons since his departure. And i dont think anyone can argue Max's production against Zubrus'.

2008/09 season stats:

Zubrus = 82 gp for 15-25-40

Max = 48 gp for 6-14-20

Not to mention the size difference between the two.

I stand by my theroy. If you put Vanek-Connolly-Zubrus on the ice,and they played a couple games. Theres no way they dont develop chemistry and dominate.

On Grier...I'm glad he's back. He's not going to be dead weight! Yes, he does have a few flaws (slow, not a very good shot) BUT I'm looking at his pluses--Veteran(the guys will respect what he has to say), tough, good on the PK, knows most of the guys on the team (won't need time to "adjust"), good forechecker. He's not the most exciting (re)addition to the team, but to me it's far from disappointing.

Yeah but Max has made slightly more than Zubrus during the two seasons since his departure. And i dont think anyone can argue Max's production against Zubrus'.

I'm no big Max fan, but in Summer '07 Max was already under contract, so they couldn't have given Zubrus his money with trading Max away. Add to that each player's stats over the previous two years:

Max

2005-07: 133GP, 45G, 89A, 134P, +25

Zubrus

2005-07: 150GP, 47G, 70A, 117P, -16

plus the fact that Max was a fan favorite (maybe not the kind of fans that are here, but the kids, etc., in the stands), and it wasn't likely that they were trading him to make room for Zubrus.

Now, me? Yeah, I'd agree that we would have been better with Zubrus rather than Max for similar money, even without the benefit of hindsight.

2008/09 season stats:

Zubrus = 82 gp for 15-25-40

Max = 48 gp for 6-14-20

Not to mention the size difference between the two.

I stand by my theroy. If you put Vanek-Connolly-Zubrus on the ice,and they played a couple games. Theres no way they dont develop chemistry and dominate.

I too would rather have had Zubie than Max for the past 2 years, but that applies as well to most of the guys in the NHL. Neither of them is worth that kind of cash.

This is why I wanted Kovalev in Buffalo.

Actually, after reading Jerry Sullivan's article on Michael Peca in today's Buffalo News, I would love to see Peca brought back into the mix again.

It was only a matter of time once that article was published before someone said this. Bottom line is that while everyone would want 1999 Peca back, 2009 Peca unfortunately may not be an NHL player any more. There's a reason he's been on 4 teams in 5 years.

Nah. Just nine in 44 regular season games. That goal in the 98 ECF must have made it only seem like he was a Sabre-killer.

Now, as far as playoffs overall go against the Sabres -- 92 and 93 with the Bs and 98 with the Caps -- I don't know.

Drury, Briere, Dumont or Zubrus?

I'm glad Grier is back and maybe he could make a difference with our post-season luck. But as fans, we shouldn't settle for mediocrity. IMO, the Sabres FO as usual, didn't do enough to build a Stanley Cup team this offseason.

I agree they didn't do enough.

I do not agree that Zubrus belongs grouped in with Briere Dumont and Drury.

Archived