Just a quick reminder before the start of the season...

elcrusho

this forum has really slowed the hell down in the last week or so. The summer has been a real drag but we've definitely hit rock bottom. I would bet this has been the least post-filled week in the history of this board.

Hockey cannot come soon enough.

this forum has really slowed the hell down in the last week or so. The summer has been a real drag but we've definitely hit rock bottom. I would bet this has been the least post-filled week in the history of this board.

Hockey cannot come soon enough.

Maybe we're just enjoying the summer and spending time outside.

When you live in buffalo; the summer is never THAT good.

I know a lot of people who would disagree. Stereotypical summer -- the heat, the humidity -- is nothing to be envied, IMHO. I've been miserable the last couple of days. Who doesn't have a relative in Florida who about the summers down there?

I know a lot of people who would disagree. Stereotypical summer -- the heat, the humidity -- is nothing to be envied, IMHO. I've been miserable the last couple of days. Who doesn't have a relative in Florida who about the summers down there?

Amen. We've had a couple of crappy summers in a row, but we had some really great ones before that. Nice streaks of 78-degree, sunny days in 2006 and 2007. Oh, wait. Those were the same years that -- nah, there can't be a connection.

Can there be?

Two things...

One...I like the slug. I know I'm in the minority. I know I deserve scorn and shame. I don't care. I just like it and can't help it.

Two...As bad as you may think summer is in WNY, it doesn't even come close to NJ. I've spent more days, sitting in my own sauce, and that's when it's cloudy and rainy. It's even worse when it's sunny. I'll take a WNY summer over a NJ summer any day of the week.

I actually enjoy the summers here, minus the Hurricanes/tropical storms.

Your issues with Florida run deep, care to talk about it?

I actually enjoy the summers here, minus the Hurricanes/tropical storms.

Your issues with Florida run deep, care to talk about it?

Isn't that a little like saying,"I like winters in Buffalo, except for the snow"?

Isn't that a little like saying,"I like winters in Buffalo, except for the snow"?

Except when it's not snowing it's still "you're not going anywhere" cold out.

Plus, it snows in the winter a helluva lot more than we get Hurricanes in the summer.

I guess it boils down to tolerance, heat or cold. Neither bother me that much, but I can function better outside in the heat, plus we have a pool. When I come up during Christmas time, I'm good for about 45 minutes at the outdoor rink downtown, that's about it.

Except when it's not snowing it's still "you're not going anywhere" cold out.

Plus, it snows in the winter a helluva lot more than we get Hurricanes in the summer.

I guess it boils down to tolerance, heat or cold. Neither bother me that much, but I can function better outside in the heat, plus we have a pool. When I come up during Christmas time, I'm good for about 45 minutes at the outdoor rink downtown, that's about it.

Well, then it's probably good that you're living in the south then.

Me, I can not handle the 90F+ heat along w/ the 90%+ humidity. No way I can handle 45 minutes of it (having to go 45 seconds in it is too much for me - I never could get used to sweating just walking to my car). So I no longer live on the Gulf coast.

Funny thing though. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of people hanging outside their houses until the late evening (when the temp finally dropped back into the 80's), so I guess you might say it was "you're not going anywhere" hot out. ;)

Me, I can not handle the 90F+ heat along w/ the 90%+ humidity. No way I can handle 45 minutes of it (having to go 45 seconds in it is too much for me - I never could get used to sweating just walking to my car). So I no longer live on the Gulf coast.

Funny thing though. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of people hanging outside their houses until the late evening (when the temp finally dropped back into the 80's), so I guess you might say it was "you're not going anywhere" hot out. ;)

Good call! I also work nights, so I sleep during the day, when it's hottest out.

The other thing too, though, is that while the Summers get pretty hot, it's borderline perfect out from October to May. In terms of Annual weather, there really is no comparison.

Now ask me again next week if this giant potential Hurricane hits us, and I may be singing a different tune. I've seen my fare share of Blizzards in my life, but what we went through a few years back when 4 Hurricanes clobbered us 1 after another just about broke me. They don't happen often, but when they do, it gets pretty intense!

I'm with you on the heat. Try running a marathon in that heat and humidity. I did it earlier this summer in Phuket, Thailand. The race's slogan, "Run Paradise," was flagrant false advertising.

I'm with you on the heat. Try running a marathon in that heat and humidity. I did it earlier this summer in Phuket, Thailand. The race's slogan, "Run Paradise," was flagrant false advertising.

Didn't you feel like sayin, Oh Phuket? Sorry.

carp or someone else can take a swing at this one. I haven't really been paying attention. What is going on with the slug? People seem to think it's on its way out. Meaning what, exactly? I checked out the blog but didn't see anything definitive.

I'm starting to think all you guys arguing about the weather are wusses ;) ... Buffalo is not in the arctic circle and the hot, humid summers here in the South are not so bad ... somehow my pregnant wife survived like 22 straight days of temps over 100 a couple summers ago. It can't be that bad.

I will say this, though ... I'll take the occasional blizzard over the occasional hurricane. You can shovel the snow, plow the roads and get on with your life. Try that after a hurricane rips the roof off your house. Advantage, Buffalo, IMO.

carp or someone else can take a swing at this one. I haven't really been paying attention. What is going on with the slug? People seem to think it's on its way out. Meaning what, exactly? I checked out the blog but didn't see anything definitive.

Larry Quinn apparently said on a WGR interview that they will probably return to the old logo (well, the third jersey, update color, silver accent form) to coincide with the 40th Anniversary in the 2010-11 season, with the slug possibly staying on as a third jersey. Of course, he also threw something in there about it depending on the sales of the current third jersey.

If you notice, though, everything on their website, plus most things on their production sets (including the "shower curtains") feature the update classic logo, not the slug. Even the rookie camp t-shirts were the updated classic logo. They clearly seem to be phasing out the slug. Those of us who really want to see the slug gone hope that means that the response to the third jersey was so strong that they moved up the time table and we will see white versions of the current thirds for road games this year (as well as the thirds becoming the primary home jersey.) Part of me thinks that they will use it in a "changing attitude from the last two seasons" campaign or something like that.

So, basically, nothing is concrete, but there is enough evidence to give us (possibly false) hope.

Archived