Just a quick reminder before the start of the season...

elcrusho

Larry Quinn apparently said on a WGR interview that they will probably return to the old logo (well, the third jersey, update color, silver accent form) to coincide with the 40th Anniversary in the 2010-11 season, with the slug possibly staying on as a third jersey. Of course, he also threw something in there about it depending on the sales of the current third jersey.

If you notice, though, everything on their website, plus most things on their production sets (including the "shower curtains") feature the update classic logo, not the slug. Even the rookie camp t-shirts were the updated classic logo. They clearly seem to be phasing out the slug. Those of us who really want to see the slug gone hope that means that the response to the third jersey was so strong that they moved up the time table and we will see white versions of the current thirds for road games this year (as well as the thirds becoming the primary home jersey.) Part of me thinks that they will use it in a "changing attitude from the last two seasons" campaign or something like that.

I don't think we'll see it change for this season, but I heard the LQ interview on WGR (oddly it never went up in their audio vault) and he did indeed say that by their 40th anniversary season they expected to be wearing their "classic" uniforms full time.

That to me is pretty much perfect. Keep the slugs as a third if you don't want to eat too much crow over the whole thing, that's fine. It just makes me think they were indeed listening to everything unfold, but they were committed to a few seasons of these craptacular jersies and we just had to wait a little bit before they could change them again. Better late than never...

It also seems like their marketing campaign this year will be calling Buffalo the "City of Hockey", as it's crept up in the background of a couple images on their website. I guess it depends how they decide to use it, but I most definitely like that better than "We are Sabres" from a couple years ago...

I'm starting to think all you guys arguing about the weather are wusses ;) ... Buffalo is not in the arctic circle and the hot, humid summers here in the South are not so bad ... somehow my pregnant wife survived like 22 straight days of temps over 100 a couple summers ago. It can't be that bad.

I will say this, though ... I'll take the occasional blizzard over the occasional hurricane. You can shovel the snow, plow the roads and get on with your life. Try that after a hurricane rips the roof off your house. Advantage, Buffalo, IMO.

Also, if both knock the power out, with a blizzard, at least the beer stays cold. Game, set, match...Buffalo.

Good call! I also work nights, so I sleep during the day, when it's hottest out.

The other thing too, though, is that while the Summers get pretty hot, it's borderline perfect out from October to May. In terms of Annual weather, there really is no comparison.

Now ask me again next week if this giant potential Hurricane hits us, and I may be singing a different tune. I've seen my fare share of Blizzards in my life, but what we went through a few years back when 4 Hurricanes clobbered us 1 after another just about broke me. They don't happen often, but when they do, it gets pretty intense!

We lived in Orlando when that nightmare '04 Hurricane season blew through. Charley was a head-on shot, still a strong Cat 1 when it hit us in Orlando.

If there is one "advantage" to hurricanes, it's this - you usually have 2-3 days minimum warning that the hurricane is coming. A lot of these bigger snowstorms in WNY seem to pop up with much less warning.

Also, if both knock the power out, with a blizzard, at least the beer stays cold. Game, set, match...Buffalo.

You've never been to a Hurricane Party, have you? ;)

Someone fills up the tub with alcohol and ice and you ride out the storm. Afterwards it's like tailgating - grilling, beer, etc - assuming you and your house survived the storm. ;)

Since it's the dog days of no hockey yet, I'll talk weather. We were just up to the hometown in the Finger Lakes and it was 30 degrees cooler day & night over what it was back home in Texas (low 70s/lows 50s at night vs low 100s/low 80s at night).

That said, it was much more miserable to sleep in NYS - the old farmhouse just traps the heat and trying to sleep without A/C upstairs was miserable - especially for my pregnant wife. One day it was overcast & we thought we would get a break but my nephews built too hot of a fire (they use wood even in the Summer for hot water) and some valve malfunctioned so the base board heaters kicked on in the middle of the night. We couldn't figure out why we went from nice temps falling asleep to it being so hot we couldn't breathe at 1 am.

Anyway, despite having the crappy hot weather (at least we have less humidity in the Texas Hill Country), it's not that bad with air conditioning and the 60s/70s Winter days offset it. Still, you do miss the snow and grow to hate another beautiful day of sunshine.

I'm starting to think all you guys arguing about the weather are wusses ;) ... Buffalo is not in the arctic circle and the hot, humid summers here in the South are not so bad ... somehow my pregnant wife survived like 22 straight days of temps over 100 a couple summers ago. It can't be that bad.

I will say this, though ... I'll take the occasional blizzard over the occasional hurricane. You can shovel the snow, plow the roads and get on with your life. Try that after a hurricane rips the roof off your house. Advantage, Buffalo, IMO.

I miss Southern weather. I love it hot and humid, and man, do I freaking hate the cold. But there are things about this city that I just wouldn't trade for anything, much less the weather.

I miss Southern weather. I love it hot and humid, and man, do I freaking hate the cold. But there are things about this city that I just wouldn't trade for anything, much less the weather.

That's just it. The weather is one thing, but aside from that there is NO place like Buffalo. Food, the people, the sports, the history, it's all extremely difficult to immulate. I truely do miss it and look forward to coming back to visit each and every year. It's hard to realize if you've never left there for a long period of time, but it is a very special place, I don't care WHAT Willis says....

That's just it. The weather is one thing, but aside from that there is NO place like Buffalo. Food, the people, the sports, the history, it's all extremely difficult to immulate. I truely do miss it and look forward to coming back to visit each and every year. It's hard to realize if you've never left there for a long period of time, but it is a very special place, I don't care WHAT Willis says....

I once had to have this thing on my ass immulated. Hurt like a son of a bitch for weeks.

Keep the slugs as a third if you don't want to eat too much crow over the whole thing, that's fine. It just makes me think they were indeed listening to everything unfold, but they were committed to a few seasons of these craptacular jersies and we just had to wait a little bit before they could change them again. Better late than never...

I'll get on my soap box at every turn, to knock the buffoons that had anything to do with the stupid slug logo. Everyone thought it sucked. We all knew it sucked. Yet, our crack management team thought they knew better than everyone, and forced the stupid thing down our throats. Begrudgingly, we tolerated it's use but to see them do an about face this immediate in the future, tells me they knew they screwed up but only after the fact.

This also gives us a peak inside how the Sabres management works. Not very adept at assessing current problems. They are only able to address things reactively rather than pro-actively. Pretty easy to see how the Sabres got to where they are.

I'll get on my soap box at every turn, to knock the buffoons that had anything to do with the stupid slug logo. Everyone thought it sucked. We all knew it sucked. Yet, our crack management team thought they knew better than everyone, and forced the stupid thing down our throats. Begrudgingly, we tolerated it's use but to see them do an about face this immediate in the future, tells me they knew they screwed up but only after the fact.

This also gives us a peak inside how the Sabres management works. Not very adept at assessing current problems. They are only able to address things reactively rather than pro-actively. Pretty easy to see how the Sabres got to where they are.

Don't you mean,"Pretty easy to see how the Sabres got back to where they were"?

To be clear I'm also on the anti slug bandwagon however there is an angle here from a pure business standpoint that says it didn't really hurt them. They made some money selling the new jersey at a time the team was doing well and the bandwagon was full(seem to remember they were one of top jersey sales that Playoff year). They created there own contraversy that generated buzz good, bad or indifferent and they will likely generate more press and sales when they switch back to older style. IMO they would not have made as many sales overall in the same period if they had just tweaked the original, so from a business standpoint it really looks like a win win for them.

To be clear I'm also on the anti slug bandwagon however there is an angle here from a pure business standpoint that says it didn't really hurt them. They made some money selling the new jersey at a time the team was doing well and the bandwagon was full(seem to remember they were one of top jersey sales that Playoff year). They created there own contraversy that generated buzz good, bad or indifferent and they will likely generate more press and sales when they switch back to older style. IMO they would not have made as many sales overall in the same period if they had just tweaked the original, so from a business standpoint it really looks like a win win for them.

Disagree completely. The Sabres were changing from the black & red, associated with the Rigas era, bankruptcy, etc., back to the traditional blue & gold. All the slug sales tell us is that the team was doing so exceptionally well on the ice that it reenergized the fan base and added a bunch of bandwagon jumpers, meaning all the Sabres had to do was blow their noses on a blue&gold jersey and people would buy it.

I have no doubts whatsoever that a tweaked original design would have sold just as many jerseys, based purely on the team's on-ice success.

I also wouldn't call it a win-win, considering the backlash against the franchise and the near-universal panning from the media, fans, etc.

I have no doubts whatsoever that a tweaked original design would have sold just as many jerseys, based purely on the team's on-ice success.

I also wouldn't call it a win-win, considering the backlash against the franchise and the near-universal panning from the media, fans, etc.

Let us not forget that after the Golden Sluggalo design was leaked, feedback was so negative that LQ & Co. hastily added the old original blue jerseys as third jerseys to quiet the slug critics (I was one of them). I remember them scrambling in old team lockers and the backs of closets to find enough old jerseys to hang in the background during the press conference announcing the third jersey. They knew they blew it right off the bat. I think the only reason Sluggo has stayed around this long is that it did become the best selling jersey in the NHL for a while. (I think that was due more to the nature of the team and the switch to original colors that it did the Sluggalo).

Seeing an updated old logo as the primary one will be great, but I would rather see the team do well.....

Which begs the question, why did it happen?

This is the great mystery. I have always wondered how the powers that be could have sat in a board room and looked at the slug and all said ....the fans are just going to love this! And you know that the original logo must have at least been on the table at some point in the process. Morons.

More and more I am leaning toward Reebok having too much influence on the process and the NHL letting Rbk impose their own creative designs on its member clubs as part of this entire uniform overhaul. I really don't want to believe that someone who claims to be such a huge fan of the club (as well as president/coo/whatever other title LQ is holding) would look at the slug and say "yep, that's much better than an updated version of the crossed sabres/charging buffalo" logo.

I also don't want to believe that someone in the Sabres' creative services department really thought that the original logo was "too iconic" to modernize and update.

Makes me wonder if LQ did blow his nose, showed OSP the remnants and declared, "I'm so #%^$#!in good, I'll sell a million of these."

:lol:

Well LQ is a master of all trades, so I could see that happening.

Makes me wonder if LQ did blow his nose, showed OSP the remnants and declared, "I'm so #%^$#!in good, I'll sell a million of these."

They probably had a bet going to see if he was right. If they sold more than a certain number, then TG would relinquish total control of the team to LQ. Guess who won ...

Just speculating here, but I recall that same summer, the Mighty Ducks became just the Anaheim Ducks, with a corresponding change in colors and logo. According to their web site, a panel of fans, players, former players and front office/marketing types all had some say in the choice of new colors and logo. I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Sabres doing anything like that. The logo was apparently formulated by some sports marketing firm hired by the Sabres - or maybe LQ himself for all we know (again, just speculating - if anyone knows for sure, chime in). Once the league approved it, the team was stuck with it for at least a couple of seasons (the 18-month lead time thing).

OR the short answer....same reason the team has finished out of the playoffs the last two seasons: ineffective management. (IMHO)

Just speculating here, but I recall that same summer, the Mighty Ducks became just the Anaheim Ducks, with a corresponding change in colors and logo. According to their web site, a panel of fans, players, former players and front office/marketing types all had some say in the choice of new colors and logo. I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Sabres doing anything like that. The logo was apparently formulated by some sports marketing firm hired by the Sabres - or maybe LQ himself for all we know (again, just speculating - if anyone knows for sure, chime in). Once the league approved it, the team was stuck with it for at least a couple of seasons (the 18-month lead time thing).

OR the short answer....same reason the team has finished out of the playoffs the last two seasons: ineffective management. (IMHO)

IIRC, the Sabres and Ducks were the first two teams to roll out the new Rbk unis, and neither was received with overall positive reviews.

Archived