Just a quick reminder before the start of the season...

elcrusho

IIRC< the Sabres and Ducks were the first two teams to roll out the new Rbk unis, and neither was received with overall positive reviews.

Well, yes - even though the Ducks handled the situation better, their uniforms aren't so hot, either.......

Oh, and not to fire up another related topic, but does anyone else think that the cut of the new Rbk jerseys (the rounded bottom hem) makes them look like a tu-tu when the players execute a sharp turn or spin? Some team's colors accentuate this more than others, but can't they just go back to the old, straight bottom hem. (That's straight as in literally AND figuratively)...

Which begs the question, why did it happen?

I thought I had read that the Sabre's creative guy came up with the slug. Perhaps I'm mistaken. What's important is that once something like this gains momentum internally it's difficult to stop it from happening, especially in a large bureaucracy like the Sabres/NHL.

By the time the public saw it, the investment was too great, the contracts signed (production and otherwise), and the Sabre FO commitment in place. Aside from the NHL stipulations on logo and colors (which I've read in the past but can not find a link for on the quick), the Sabres were already committed and they were going to make us take it whether we wanted it or not.

More and more I am leaning toward Reebok having too much influence on the process and the NHL letting Rbk impose their own creative designs on its member clubs as part of this entire uniform overhaul. I really don't want to believe that someone who claims to be such a huge fan of the club (as well as president/coo/whatever other title LQ is holding) would look at the slug and say "yep, that's much better than an updated version of the crossed sabres/charging buffalo" logo.

I also don't want to believe that someone in the Sabres' creative services department really thought that the original logo was "too iconic" to modernize and update.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up. I'm sure you remember my whole point on this thing (since you're headed in that direction now). Reebok forced Buffalo and Anaheim's hand.

Disagree completely. The Sabres were changing from the black & red, associated with the Rigas era, bankruptcy, etc., back to the traditional blue & gold. All the slug sales tell us is that the team was doing so exceptionally well on the ice that it reenergized the fan base and added a bunch of bandwagon jumpers, meaning all the Sabres had to do was blow their noses on a blue&gold jersey and people would buy it.

I have no doubts whatsoever that a tweaked original design would have sold just as many jerseys, based purely on the team's on-ice success.

I also wouldn't call it a win-win, considering the backlash against the franchise and the near-universal panning from the media, fans, etc.

Okay then we can agree to disagree agreeably...

No doubts, well I personally couldn't be that certain unless I saw the demographic of the customer's who bought.. If the bandwagon jumper's tended to be young and new to the sport a different style may be attractive to them and certainly all the existing fans who already have the old/close to the new style will not go ahead and buy another just because the teams in the Playoff's....

Last, okay win to win is just my term and not necessary the best analogy however there is a marketing mentatility that says free publicity generated by a debate keeps the team in the mainstream and will give you a good reality check indication of fan base and opinions'.... like a freeby poll.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up. I'm sure you remember my whole point on this thing (since you're headed in that direction now). Reebok forced Buffalo and Anaheim's hand.

Yeah, I do remember, and it makes a lot of sense the more I think about it.

Last, okay win to win is just my term and not necessary the best analogy however there is a marketing mentatility that says free publicity generated by a debate keeps the team in the mainstream and will give you a good reality check indication of fan base and opinions'.... like a freeby poll.

Yeah, I do remember, and it makes a lot of sense the more I think about it.

So what you two are saying might support my point about that unattached pure marketing mentality that could have came from RBK on forcing the issue, also remember they had made this jersey decision before they know how good that years team would really be...

[/b]

So what you two are saying might support my point about that unattached pure marketing mentality that could have came from RBK on forcing the issue, also remember they had made this jersey decision before they know how good that years team would really be...

It wasn't really even a marketing thing. It was reebok trying to completely re-image hockey uniforms. They eventually had to scrap many of these ideas because they weren't the least bit practical and the players hated them. Unfortunately, this happened after Buffalo and Anaheim had gone through their design process.

Which begs the question, why did it happen?

It wasn't really even a marketing thing. It was reebok trying to completely re-image hockey uniforms. They eventually had to scrap many of these ideas because they weren't the least bit practical and the players hated them. Unfortunately, this happened after Buffalo and Anaheim had gone through their design process.

Okay well that answer's it for me... I'm saying ding,ding,ding... we have a winner.

Archived