What's gonna happen with Stafford?

nfreeman

Stafford outcome?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. The Sabres seem to have accumulated a glut of forwards. They also seem to be over their internal budget limit. Stafford is currently an unsigned RFA and will cost at least $2.5MM. It seems like something has to happen. What's it gonna be?

• Stafford is signed
    • Stafford is traded
    • Stafford is neither signed nor traded and either signs with the KHL or holds out for an extended period

Speaking of Kessel -- it looks like he's bailing on Boston.

This may or may not affect Stafford's thinking, but still interesting from a league and divisional perspective.

I wish I could sit in on those negotiations. I'd love to know what has been holding the whole thing up. Well, Kessel's injury status is probably a big part of it.

I wish I could sit in on those negotiations. I'd love to know what has been holding the whole thing up. Well, Kessel's injury status is probably a big part of it.

Three other things that I think are effecting it;

1) Bruins already over the cap although they will have a long term injury or two

2) Krejci's relatively cheap signing ($3.8 cap hit)

3) Lucic's impending RFA status.

Three other things that I think are effecting it;

1) Bruins already over the cap although they will have a long term injury or two

2) Krejci's relatively cheap signing ($3.8 cap hit)

3) Lucic's impending RFA status.

It seems pretty simple for Boston in the short term anyway. Sign him, then temporarily send either Wheeler or Rask to the minors to be under the cap. Then immediately put Kessel on LTIR and call that player back up. Ideally though, they find someone to take Sturm and his horrible contract off their hands.

Found this stuck to the Artvoice box out in front of HSBC Arena.

post-1768-12526867057631_thumb.jpg

Do you think Darcy printed it up?

Awesome pic. Does seem to be the case though. Other than the occasional ek "rumor" haven't hear much of anything all off season. Wonder what we will hear tonight/tomorrow about it.

Awesome pic. Does seem to be the case though. Other than the occasional ek "rumor" haven't hear much of anything all off season. Wonder what we will hear tonight/tomorrow about it.

have you seen this on the main page?

http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/792355.html

I'd be willing to bet this is all Drew asking for more than he is worth.

Saw it later in the day. Didn't check the buffalonews directly. I would bet the agent is asking for more than he is worth. I get a kick out of the end of the article tho how Regier says that the offer for 522,000 still is on the table. He's not worth major amounts money, but definitely more than that.

Looks like it. If he wants the same deal Nathan Horton got, he needs to look elsewhere. But that qualifying offer is way low, too.

Looks like it. If he wants the same deal Nathan Horton got, he needs to look elsewhere. But that qualifying offer is way low, too.

The qualifying offer mentioned was for Mancari. The QO made to Stafford was nothing more than symbolic. There is absolutely no way that Darcy ever seriously thought of that as an option for Drew. Mancari, on the other hand, his QO was all he was ever going to get.

The qualifying offer mentioned was for Mancari. The QO made to Stafford was nothing more than symbolic. There is absolutely no way that Darcy ever seriously thought of that as an option for Drew. Mancari, on the other hand, his QO was all he was ever going to get.

Reading. Is. Fundamental. You're right, of course.

Don't really know what is going to happen with him, but for holding out as long as he has, I can only imagine that he overvalues his abilities thus far.

Way too inconsistent of a player at this point to sink millions of dollars per season on.

It has been a strange offseason. There is so much quality out there on both the UFA and RFA market. For that reason alone, I'm not going ot throw it down simply to him overvalueing himself.

http://blogs.buffalo...ford-signs.html

BNews says he's signed

http://twitter.com/SabresDotCom

Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the team has signed forward Drew Stafford to a two-year deal.

So they still hold his rights for two more years beyond the end of this deal. We have to wait and see the terms, but it doesn't seem like there will be much to complain about from this one.

So they still hold his rights for two more years beyond the end of this deal. We have to wait and see the terms, but it doesn't seem like there will be much to complain about from this one.

Per Buffalo News Typepad, it's a 2 year deal with this year being $1.5 million and next year being $2.5 million. Absolutely excellent deal by Darcy. They get Stafford on the cheap. I had predicted a deal with a ap hit of $2.5 million, but they got the cap hit to $2 million. You've got to love that. Good signing by Darcy, and I'm glad to see Stafford in the fold.

Per Buffalo News Typepad, it's a 2 year deal with this year being $1.5 million and next year being $2.5 million. Absolutely excellent deal by Darcy. They get Stafford on the cheap. I had predicted a deal with a ap hit of $2.5 million, but they got the cap hit to $2 million. You've got to love that. Good signing by Darcy, and I'm glad to see Stafford in the fold.

At $2M avg. per, a good signing.

I have to agree 100%. There couldn't have been a better deal worked out in this scenario. I have to give both DR and Stafford props for working out a deal that completely benefits both parties.

Archived