What's gonna happen with Stafford?

nfreeman

Stafford outcome?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. The Sabres seem to have accumulated a glut of forwards. They also seem to be over their internal budget limit. Stafford is currently an unsigned RFA and will cost at least $2.5MM. It seems like something has to happen. What's it gonna be?

• Stafford is signed
    • Stafford is traded
    • Stafford is neither signed nor traded and either signs with the KHL or holds out for an extended period

According to a couple of people, someone on WGR (I don't know if it was Paul Hamilton or who) actually said that the Stafford to Florida for Horton situation is heating up. That is a big step up from being an Ek rumor.

Why would Florida give him up? Especially for Stafford? Florida is a decent young team. Why would they purposely take such a huge step back? I can't imagine what Florida would take in return. Whatever it could be would be a steal for the Sabres.

Someone chime on with the salary numbers please...I agree that we should pull the trigger on this, but what will this do to the Sabres cap? where is Horton's salary at? assuming it's rising where will it be long-term; no way Florida agrees to this deal straight up who do you package (that "realistically") both teams would accept? MacArthur, Paille, or one of the many prospects down on the farm?

Someone chime on with the salary numbers please...I agree that we should pull the trigger on this, but what will this do to the Sabres cap? where is Horton's salary at? assuming it's rising where will it be long-term; no way Florida agrees to this deal straight up who do you package (that "realistically") both teams would accept? MacArthur, Paille, or one of the many prospects down on the farm?

Horton has Roy's exact contract. He has a $4 million cap hit and will make $3.5, $4.0, $4.5 and $5.5 million over the remaining four years of his contract. Obviously, having both Roy and Horton making $5.5 million in the same year would be tough, but as long as they produce, it actually shouldn't be to hard to trade one or both to a big market team with plenty of cash, but little cap space. The $4 million hit this year would push up right up near the cap, so someone like Tallinder would have to go either in this trade or another. Unfortunately, while a trade Stafford for Horton trade would take some sweeteners, I'd hate to imagine what a Stafford and Tallinder for Horton would take.

• 2 weeks later...

Kessel, Stafford and Dubinsky are the three biggest names left on the RFA list. You've got two teams right up there with the cap and the Sabres believed to be close to their budget (that one's for you, PA). It should be interesting to see how these situations play out. Personally, I don't have the slightest clue what will happen in any of these cases.

and the Sabres believed to be close to their budget (that one's for you, PA).

when i use the capgeek calculator (not sure it's 100% current/accurate, but it looks pretty reliable)

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php?Team=8

and allocate a hypothetical $2.8MM hit for stafford, the sabres appear to come out ~$500,000 under the 2009-2010 cap, which that website sets at $56.8MM. that's a far cry from having a tailored budget. which leads me to believe that the team is intent on moving stafford and/or unloading additional salary. the former is achievable, the latter i am not so sure about.

Kessel, Stafford and Dubinsky ... Personally, I don't have the slightest clue what will happen in any of these cases.

i'm with you.

The Sabres right now are at $52.6MM in payroll for this coming season, not including Grier (who probably pushes them to $54MM) or Stafford. (Salary data is here.) Grier and Stafford gives them 14 forwards, not counting Kennedy or Gerbe.

The Sabres had about $50.6MM in payroll (not cap hit) last year. Darcy said their payroll would be in the $50-$51MM range this year. Notwithstanding those who refuse to believe it, I have to believe that the Sabres are not interested in increasing their payroll by $5MM-$6MM this year. I think they want their payroll to be in the $51MM range, maybe $52MM. If Stafford is signed, it brings their payroll well north of $56MM. The cap is only $56.8MM. Leaving aside the issue of having 14 forwards, not including Kennedy and Gerbe, the numbers themselves seem to mandate a salary dump.

On the one hand, I think DR really doesn't want to trade Stafford at this point in his career. He scored 20 goals in his 2nd full season, he's young, has good size and good hands, and has 3 more years before he can be a UFA. OTOH, I think the Sabres simply will not just sign Stafford and add him to the payroll without subtracting anyone, and I don't see anyone taking any of the Sabres' overpriced white elephants off of their hands without a sweetener like Stafford (or Kennedy or Gerbe). So the Sabres may be in a corner.

I voted that he is signed, but I really wouldn't be surprised at all if he's traded.

QFT

i am thinking he will be traded, in a pre-packaged sort of way (isn't that how we got drury?).

my suspicion is that there are a number of takers for stafford, and that the question isn't so much the value coming back to us, but whether the other team is willing to take someone off of our hands as part of the bargain.

What he said except he probably said it better....

I think they'll sign him and maybe trade him before the deadline. The Stafford for Horton thing sounds too good to be true. Of course I'd be happy with that one! Getting rid of Tallinder is a big question mark. Who wants him?

• 2 weeks later...

Camp starts on Saturday!

Yeah, I know, but to have him not show at camp Saturday so Bucky gets an article, then Sabres give the news Monday to prove he's a jackazz.

BTW, When do the vets hit the ice? I see gates open at 9:30am, but they skate at what? 10?

Yeah, I know, but to have him not show at camp Saturday so Bucky gets an article, then Sabres give the news Monday to prove he's a jackazz.

BTW, When do the vets hit the ice? I see gates open at 9:30am, but they skate at what? 10?

I'm not sure what time they skate on Saturday. It will be a zoo down there. Much better during the week when you only have 50-100 people during "extended" :D lunch hours.

I can't see any article being written about it as long as there are other players out there in the same situation, specifically, Kessel. Now, if Brian Burke has any say in that matter, maybe we'll see something big soon.

Oh, and I like how the RFA market completely bottomed out this year. I've been saying it for a while that teams aren't going to go that route and maybe that idea has finally been backed up. There has not been a single offer sheet signed this year, right (unless Toronto ruins that)?

I can't see any article being written about it as long as there are other players out there in the same situation, specifically, Kessel. Now, if Brian Burke has any say in that matter, maybe we'll see something big soon.

Oh, and I like how the RFA market completely bottomed out this year. I've been saying it for a while that teams aren't going to go that route and maybe that idea has finally been backed up. There has not been a single offer sheet signed this year, right (unless Toronto ruins that)?

And in the mean time we are still paying through the nose for Vanek!!!

I don't see them trading Stafford unless there is significantly more production coming back our way. Stafford is exactly what this organization loves: Our draft pick, young, relatively cheap, and still restricted. He has incredible upside, and is one of the very few true first or second line players in this organization. When he is properly motivated he is a physical force, and has the hands, shot and vision to put up significant points. The kid just needs to put guitar hero away and come to the rink every night ready to play.

Just put on sabres.com

Buffalo Sabres Training Camp Schedule

* Saturday, September 12

- Veterans report @ HSBC Arena,

- On-ice testing 9:30 a.m.;

- Rookies, 1 p.m.

* Sunday, September 13

- Practice Group, 10:30 a.m.;

- Scrimmage, 12:30 p.m.

* Monday, September 14

- Practice Group, 7:30 a.m.;

- Scrimmage, 9:30 a.m.

* Tuesday, September 15

* Wednesday, September 16

* Thursday, September 17

- Game group, 10 a.m.;

- Scrimmage, 11:30 a.m.

Vanek's deal is down to $6.4 million each of the remaining seasons. I have absolutely no problem with them paying him that amount. No more broken jaws and he's worth every penny.

After the 10 million hit in the first year, its not too bad of a deal for the Sabres, and it locks him up long term which is nice. My son was thrilled, since I let him break my cardinal rule of never getting the name of an active player on a jersey.

But what would his deal look like if Edmonton hadn't interfered?

After the 10 million hit in the first year, its not too bad of a deal for the Sabres, and it locks him up long term which is nice. My son was thrilled, since I let him break my cardinal rule of never getting the name of an active player on a jersey.

But what would his deal look like if Edmonton hadn't interfered?

It probably would've been a shorter term, possibly even expiring by now. In his next negotiation he would've gotten exactly what he has now, if not more. Sure, those first two years would've been cheaper, but that means nothing looking it it from today and forward.

It probably would've been a shorter term, possibly even expiring by now. In his next negotiation he would've gotten exactly what he has now, if not more. Sure, those first two years would've been cheaper, but that means nothing looking it it from today and forward.

He would be traded to Edmonton.

He would be traded to Edmonton.

If we hadn't already lost briere and drury that offseason, there is NO WAY they would have matched the offer sheet. Darcy would have taken the four 1st rd. picks in a heart beat. I bet he was damn tempted to do it anyway. I bet the threat of pitchforks and torches was the only thing that kept Vanek in Buffalo.

If we hadn't already lost briere and drury that offseason, there is NO WAY they would have matched the offer sheet. Darcy would have taken the four 1st rd. picks in a heart beat. I bet he was damn tempted to do it anyway. I bet the threat of pitchforks and torches was the only thing that kept Vanek in Buffalo.

It didn't matter what happened before. He was priority #1 that offseason. They were not going to let him go regardless of what happened anywhere else with the roster.

Speaking of Kessel -- it looks like he's bailing on Boston.

Phil Kessel has made it clear that he doesn't intend to negotiate any longer with the Bruins, his Toronto-based agent in recent days informing the Boston front office that the right winger's priority instead is to sign a free-agent offer sheet with one of the league's 29 other teams.

This may or may not affect Stafford's thinking, but still interesting from a league and divisional perspective.

Archived