Is the NHL in collusion making the UFA's sweat

X. Benedict

Mirtle plays with the suggestion that league may be in collusion - Buffalo, Toronto, Atlanta, Ottawa are the only teams spending more this year (Philly a weird exception with over 35's)

"I think what you?ve got here is something that has been in the works for a while," said the agent, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I don?t think I?ve ever seen a bunch of guys sitting around like this looking for work. This is something teams have been looking at for a while."

? Bruce "I can't breathe chewing this Burger" Garrioch, Sun Media

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/7/30/96879...ing-in-the-wind

Quite a few ex-Sabres dangling in the wind here.... Moore, Pyatt, Grier, Satan

I'm sure that any agent who would complain about this had absolutely no problem when they were negotiating that $7 million dollar deal for their top client. Combine a cap with top end players still making top end money, and an entry level system with heavy restrictions on young players. What else was going to happen to these mid-level players?

I'm sure that any agent who would complain about this had absolutely no problem when they were negotiating that $7 million dollar deal for their top client. Combine a cap with top end players still making top end money, and an entry level system with heavy restrictions on young players. What else was going to happen to these mid-level players?

This is where the NHLPA screwed up, in my opinion.

This is the design of the CBA.....they thought top salaries would drive the cap high and now it is squeezing blue chip players.

This is where the NHLPA screwed up, in my opinion.

This is the design of the CBA.....they thought top salaries would drive the cap high and now it is squeezing blue chip players.

why would top salaries increase the cap? The cap is based on revenues, not Crosby's paycheck.

why would top salaries increase the cap? The cap is based on revenues, not Crosby's paycheck.

Really a really great point.

My thinking was that that the NHLPA was finally sold on the idea that the cap would act like a magnet drawing salaries up to it, and that organizations would constantly be looking for new revenue streams when cap-locked (year on year)....But it is has led to greater segregation in Salaries over the course of the CBA. IMO

I think they thought there would be plenty of room even when single players were making up to 20% of the cap in a single year.

But that's a speculative point on my part. (and maybe muddled thinking) Most teams now have 4 players taking up 40%-50% of payroll rather than a broad distribution of money after 1 or 2 stars.

It's an interesting point. My bottom line is that human nature dictates that the top UFAs are going to try to get as much as they can get, and there will always be a number of teams ready to throw huge contracts at the top UFAs each year -- even when the top UFAs are guys like Gaborik. Combine that with a true hard cap (which was the best move the NHL could have made), and the inevitable result is that there is a shrinking pool of cash left over for everyone else.

My thinking was that that the NHLPA was finally sold on the idea that the cap would act like a magnet drawing salaries up to it, and that organizations would constantly be looking for new revenue streams when cap-locked (year on year)

what a weird idea to be sold on.

then again, except for a cabal of wall street "smoking men," the entire world operated for years on the expectation that housing prices would continue to climb. forever and ever and ever. and ever.

that didn't turn out so well either.

But it is has led to greater segregation in Salaries over the course of the CBA. IMO

No neded to qualify that statement, IMO.

To wit:

Most teams now have 4 players taking up 40%-50% of payroll rather than a broad distribution of money after 1 or 2 stars.

Short of forcing the same exact contract on every single player, is there any system that won't overlook these mid-level guys?

i think so. but it'd be tricky to construct, and probably impossible to craft something both sides would accept. in theory, you would have a set of rules that would create tiers/slots of salary for each team. e.g., if the cap were going to be $50MM, each team could have 2 salaries with a cap hit of $7MM+ (but not to exceed some ceiling), 2 of $6MM-6.99MM, 5 of $5MM-5.99MM (5x5!!), etc. my numbers probably make no sense, but that'd be the idea.

what a weird idea to be sold on.

then again, except for a cabal of wall street "smoking men," the entire world operated for years on the expectation that housing prices would continue to climb. forever and ever and ever. and ever.

that didn't turn out so well either.

No neded to qualify that statement, IMO.

To wit:

i think so. but it'd be tricky to construct, and probably impossible to craft something both sides would accept. in theory, you would have a set of rules that would create tiers/slots of salary for each team. e.g., if the cap were going to be $50MM, each team could have 2 salaries with a cap hit of $7MM+ (but not to exceed some ceiling), 2 of $6MM-6.99MM, 5 of $5MM-5.99MM (5x5!!), etc. my numbers probably make no sense, but that'd be the idea.

I'd love to see a distribution graphic of total NHL salary with players on the Y axis.

I don't think it's a conspiracy so much. I just think its a combination of the economy scaring teams into inaction and the fallout from all the ridiculous UFA contracts that got signed in the past 3 years. Guys like Briere and Drury are eating up payroll, and it's happening everywhere. Maybe we'll see the top end guys signing for $6M instead of $7-8M for a while. I always thought that Darcy's paying a higher number of less-than-superstar players moderate salaries was shrewd (except when those players fall on their faces following their signings). Teams like Tampa and Ottawa, that throw 20+ million per year at one line, are going to struggle to fill out their rosters. Philly is $1M or so over the cap already, and they only have 11 forwards signed. Oops!

I don't see this as unique to this season, nor do I see it unique to hockey. There are, make up a number, say 5%, of players in any sport that are truly elite and can capture the drooling attention of owners and fans during free agency. They eat a big chunk of a teams discretionary payroll. To compensate, teams bring in farm players, newbies, UFAs, etc on the lower end. The middle-tier players who dream of the big paycheck are always caught in a numbers game. They become injury fill-ins, flyers (no not Flyers), forced retirees, or stop gaps when a teams plans don't materialize. There are more of them competing for fewer spots.

Collusion is a serious accusation.

Short of forcing the same exact contract on every single player, is there any system that won't overlook these mid-level guys?

This is the samething that has happened in every sport. Its an entertainment business and the ones that sell the tickets are going to get theirs and to balance the effect on the cap, young players will be rushed in leaving an "under paid" middle class.

Collusion is usually a word agents throw around when they have to explain to their clients why the money they promised them isn't there.

When would the NHL have the time for collusion like this? According to to all the Canadians on TSN, they are busy right now plotting against keeping Canada from ever getting another NHL team, and keeping Saint Jim out of the "Boys Club"

I think the biggest problem is that there are too many "mid level" players, or players looking for mid level money, then teams that have the money under the cap to pick them up. Too many teams have also overpaid on some "superstar players" that they have to fill out the rest of their roster with younger/cheaper guys

When would the NHL have the time for collusion like this? According to to all the Canadians on TSN, they are busy right now plotting against keeping Canada from ever getting another NHL team, and keeping Saint Jim out of the "Boys Club"

I think the biggest problem is that there are too many "mid level" players, or players looking for mid level money, then teams that have the money under the cap to pick them up. Too many teams have also overpaid on some "superstar players" that they have to fill out the rest of their roster with younger/cheaper guys

That's just what happens in an over-expanded league, where you not only have mid-level guys getting upper tier money(Connelly,Roy,Vanek), but you have AHL players getting NHL money(every other Sabre) ;)

That's just what happens in an over-expanded league, where you not only have mid-level guys getting upper tier money(Connelly,Roy,Vanek), but you have AHL players getting NHL money(every other Sabre) ;)

Can't say I didn't see this senario coming. It is a by product of the system. I say good for em let em sweat. These are the types of players that can push a team over the top. Its the mid level talent in the NHL that in my opinion that can propel a team to the top.

Archived