The elephant in the lockerroom

PASabreFan

We can go back and forth on how to fix the Sabres. The reality is that they will continue to be a very flawed team next season.

The Sabres will continue to be an average offensive team. Lindy Ruff, after all, will still be the head coach. Defensively, they'll be playing some kids.

Simply put, Buffalo's most important player has to finally play up to his reputation. As an elite. Ryan Miller has to be a superstar. Put this team on his back and take it to the playoffs.

It's time for consistency. No one doubts he has it in him. But he just keeps teasing us. Awesome last October. Huge dropoff in November. A little better in December but not great. Very good in January. So-so after that before and after the injury.

I don't expect anything different from Miller. I think he's an established goalie who's found his level. But it would be awfully nice if he stepped up for once and made Miller Time more than a cheesy expression.

I'm sure I know where Inkman will go with this thread title.

Anyway, I want to add Vanek to that list with Miller. He doesn't need to keep that ridiculous pace up from last year for an entire season, just a little more consistency down the stretch. Obviously the jaw didn't help, but there was a drop off before that too.

Really, if either of those two doesn't have their drop off/injuries, they more than make up the 2 point gap. Things aren't all that great around here, but they're far from the doom and gloom that is rampant on this board.

With all other things the same, a more consistent Miller, combined with a couple more wins from Lalime = playoffs, period. Say what you want about the creampuffs in front of him, all of their problems, coaching, front office, etc, but with a couple more saves here and there, we make the playoffs. Miller had a bad season last year. He's gotta bounce back though. This is a make or break season for miller. If he shines, he is the superstar we think he is. If he flops, he'll never ever rebound (till he signs as a FA with [insert team here] and wins a cup late in his career, but we won't go there yet!)

Last year I was not impressed with Miller at all, until I believe very late December. Then, suddenly, he was that elephant. I think that what he showed January until his injury is what we should be expecting from him, that is, being solid every night, giving his team a chance to win every time... of course, a few softies here and there, but I really thought he was solid during that time period.

We just need that for an entire season.

Just my two cents.

I think a group of 6 players have to get together, take hold of the reign and lead by example...

Goalie - Miller

Defensemen - Rivet & Lydman

Forwards - Vanek, Roy & Pominville

Without above average performances from these players(start to finish), it will be another season where they are staring up at 8th place come March 1st.

With all other things the same, a more consistent Miller, combined with a couple more wins from Lalime = playoffs, period. Say what you want about the creampuffs in front of him, all of their problems, coaching, front office, etc, but with a couple more saves here and there, we make the playoffs. Miller had a bad season last year. He's gotta bounce back though. This is a make or break season for miller. If he shines, he is the superstar we think he is. If he flops, he'll never ever rebound (till he signs as a FA with [insert team here] and wins a cup late in his career, but we won't go there yet!)

I disagree with the bolded statement. I believe Miller had his best year of his career statistically. In fact, I'd say Miller actually had a great season last year. He had the most shutouts of his career this past season, the best save percentage of his career, and the best GAA of his career. And, he had his 4th straight season of 30 or more wins. Last year was a career year for Miller but for the injury.

If Miller doesn't get hurt, this team is a playoff team, there is zero doubt about it. Miller's injury combined with Vanek's injury and inability to fully recover is what prevented this team from making the playoffs. What does that say about the team? Lack of talent? I don't believe that to be the case. Lack of depth? I believe that is definitely the case. Lack of mental toughness? Likely the case as well. This team doesn't really lack for talent when everybody is healthy. It's when there are a few injuries, especially to the key players, where this team falls apart and there is not enough depth and leadership for players to step up when things are not going right. Based on last season, I think it's fair to say, Miller is far from the main problem compared to other problems on the team.

Am I seriously reading a post on how Miller and Vanek need to step up their respective games? If you want to call out Jochen Hecht, Jason Pominville or Max feel free, but mentioning 26 & 30 is ridiculous.

Maybe Vanek can score 50 this year and win folks over for good. Maybe Miller can follow that up with 10 shutouts and a sub 2.00 GAA while we're at it.

If you watched most of the games in 2008-09 and are pissed about these two, you weren't paying attention.

If he shines, he is the superstar we think he is. If he flops, he'll never ever rebound (till he signs as a FA with [insert team here] and wins a cup late in his career, but we won't go there yet!)

That's fine, but.... why don't we bypass watching him go to another team as an FA, put a decent defense in front of him and aim for making it to the Cup finals instead of just squeaking into the playoffs. What is driving me crazy about this team (and city and region for that matter) is that we are willing to settle for "good enough". The Sabres' organization as it is could not exist in many other NHL cities - the front office and coaching staff would be pilloried in the press (and by astute watchdogs like us ;) ). many in the area still look starry-eyed at Tommy G. because he "saved" the Sabres. Well, that was then. Tommy et al - what have you done for us lately? As Dr. Evil might say, "Throw us a frickin' bone here..."

Am I seriously reading a post on how Miller and Vanek need to step up their respective games? If you want to call out Jochen Hecht, Jason Pominville or Max feel free, but mentioning 26 & 30 is ridiculous.

Maybe Vanek can score 50 this year and win folks over for good. Maybe Miller can follow that up with 10 shutouts and a sub 2.00 GAA while we're at it.

If you watched most of the games in 2008-09 and are pissed about these two, you weren't paying attention.

The problem is consistency. I noted how Miller's game went south for a good long stretch after the very strong start. Then he recovered. Vanek started off on fire, then went cold for a long time before the injury.

The problem is consistency. I noted how Miller's game went south for a good long stretch after the very strong start. Then he recovered. Vanek started off on fire, then went cold for a long time before the injury.

IMO some of the answer on the consistency comes from the other Vanek (Fire) thread you started. He definitely didn't mask his disappointment about being taken off the PK after the first quarter of the season and if you did the math allowing for the backlash effect it may of had on his play and the back and forth Lindy took him through with a couple of the reduced ice time games after his diappointment showed up in his game play, It should be no surprise it coincided with said slump and just before his injury.

Maybe the real question without meaning to give legs to your other platform/banging your other drum/waxing your WILBUR is whether Lindy's tactics with Vanek when he has these up's and downs are the best for motiavting his play to be better...

That said I am more inclined to agree with LabattBlue I think a group of 6 players have to get together, take hold of the reign and lead by example... as the real key to a good post season appearance...

IMO some of the answer on the consistency comes from the other Vanek (Fire) thread you started. He definitely didn't mask his disappointment about being taken off the PK after the first quarter of the season and if you did the math allowing for the backlash effect it may of had on his play and the back and forth Lindy took him through with a couple of the reduced ice time games after his diappointment showed up in his game play, It should be no surprise it coincided with said slump and just before his injury.

Maybe the real question without meaning to give legs to your other platform/banging your other drum/waxing your WILBUR is whether Lindy's tactics with Vanek when he has these up's and downs are the best for motiavting his play to be better...

That said I am more inclined to agree with LabattBlue I think a group of 6 players have to get together, take hold of the reign and lead by example... as the real key to a good post season appearance...

Throw me your headband. And your panties.

Last year I was not impressed with Miller at all, until I believe very late December. Then, suddenly, he was that elephant. I think that what he showed January until his injury is what we should be expecting from him, that is, being solid every night, giving his team a chance to win every time... of course, a few softies here and there, but I really thought he was solid during that time period.

We just need that for an entire season.

Just my two cents.

I'd like to see improved goaltending as well, but I think that before his injury his dropoff may have been attributed to overwork. I think we'll see improved consistency if Regier finds a competant backup and Ruff uses him the 20-25% of the time he says he'd like to.

I also think that if we watched any other goaltenders on a regular basis, we'd see some soft goals and want to see the number of them reduced. The Sabres will score flukey goals, and they'll give up some. They all need to have the composure to pile it on when they get lucky and to fight back when they're unlucky.

I disagree with the bolded statement. I believe Miller had his best year of his career statistically. In fact, I'd say Miller actually had a great season last year. He had the most shutouts of his career this past season, the best save percentage of his career, and the best GAA of his career. And, he had his 4th straight season of 30 or more wins. Last year was a career year for Miller but for the injury.

If Miller doesn't get hurt, this team is a playoff team, there is zero doubt about it. Miller's injury combined with Vanek's injury and inability to fully recover is what prevented this team from making the playoffs. What does that say about the team? Lack of talent? I don't believe that to be the case. Lack of depth? I believe that is definitely the case. Lack of mental toughness? Likely the case as well. This team doesn't really lack for talent when everybody is healthy. It's when there are a few injuries, especially to the key players, where this team falls apart and there is not enough depth and leadership for players to step up when things are not going right. Based on last season, I think it's fair to say, Miller is far from the main problem compared to other problems on the team.

I am too lazy to look up all of his stats myself, so i'll take your word for it as truth. The thing is, if he has a 3.00 GAA in one season and a 2.75 GAA in another, but lets in those 2.75 goals in the 3rd period of tied games, that's worse. Too many times did I see this team go into the locker room at the end of the 2nd period within a goal of the lead, tied, or a one goal lead, only to falter in the 3rd. It's a team effort, but holding a 1 goal lead starts with the goalie, and Miller just didn't get the job done. It sucks that he was injured last year too, as he was just coming on strong. I'll be willing to forget about last season all together if they can come out and show me some grit and fire during October, starting with Miller.

Sometimes we all get too deep into statistical analysis around here.

Ask yourself this: Does Ryan Miller "steal games." I say no. Almost never. On this team, he has to. The great goalies do it all the time.

Ask yourself this: Does Ryan Miller "steal games." I say no. Almost never. On this team, he has to. The great goalies do it all the time.

I would say yes. However, I would also say that there are games where his "softies" make it difficult for the team to win. He needs to become more consistent, specifically cleaning up those bad games.

I would say yes. However, I would also say that there are games where his "softies" make it difficult for the team to win. He needs to become more consistent, specifically cleaning up those bad games.

I wouldn't expect too much of Ryan the cross-eyed Goalie. To me the real elephant in the room is Tom Y. Golisano.

I appreciate he bought the franchise at a big price reduction away from a felon (thank you NHL for approving the Rigases with your "selection process" btw) it appears he's not in this for the long haul. Now that the team's struggling, he refuses to get in the team picture, refuses to attend games and refuses to spend money on players or management. Buffalo needs an owner who is committed to Buffalo and hockey period and if he's not, lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

I wouldn't expect too much of Ryan the cross-eyed Goalie. To me the real elephant in the room is Tom Y. Golisano.

I appreciate he bought the franchise at a big price reduction away from a felon (thank you NHL for approving the Rigases with your "selection process" btw) it appears he's not in this for the long haul. Now that the team's struggling, he refuses to get in the team picture, refuses to attend games and refuses to spend money on players or management. Buffalo needs an owner who is committed to Buffalo and hockey period and if he's not, lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

Right on. We know he's not in it for the long haul because LQ came out and said he was entertaining offers last season. We don't even talk about how this news might have affected the team. Some of these guys went through the ownership crisis under Rigas, and I'm sure it's not something they want to go through again. Actually, given Ruff's statement yesterday, Darcy's history of brow-beating the fans base ("you're going to get an education in the economics of the game"), LQ's various arrogant statements, I wonder what Mike Gilbert, the director of communications, does down at the arena. Has he ever told these guys they're torturing the fan base? Or, as someone else said describing Lindy, has Gilbert also been "clipped."

Sometimes we all get too deep into statistical analysis around here.

I think claims that great goalies steal games "all the time" or "regularly" is an oft-repeated but extremely overexaggerated statement. I stop short of calling it a myth, but I do feel that there is way too much emphasis on goalies "stealing" games. In a perfect world I don't want my 'tender to have to steal games regularly, because that means our team either a) sucks or b) is consistently underperforming, unprepared and being outworked.

That being said, Ryan's stolen a few here and there over the last few years, and that seems about average for most goaltenders in this league. I agree that we need to see more consistency in the Sabres goaltending play overall - in how much and how well the backup plays plus how well Ryan plays. I think we've seen what he can be, he just needs to do it more consistently.

The offense is fine.....above average really

The goaltender is fine.....also above average/

What is missing is center depth and a dogged checking/shutdown line.

The team gave up too many leads.

If they are thinking Tim Kennedy might be ready for that third line center...I'm a little nervous....not saying he can't win the job....but seriously, a good checking line is really the 4 pts that was needed to tie for 4th.

I think claims that great goalies steal games "all the time" or "regularly" is an oft-repeated but extremely overexaggerated statement. I stop short of calling it a myth, but I do feel that there is way too much emphasis on goalies "stealing" games. In a perfect world I don't want my 'tender to have to steal games regularly, because that means our team either a) sucks or b) is consistently underperforming, unprepared and being outworked.

That being said, Ryan's stolen a few here and there over the last few years, and that seems about average for most goaltenders in this league. I agree that we need to see more consistency in the Sabres goaltending play overall - in how much and how well the backup plays plus how well Ryan plays. I think we've seen what he can be, he just needs to do it more consistently.

How bout this? Ryan needs to be the best player on the ice in more games.

Otherwise, using the c-word consistency, I think we essentially agree on Miller for the first time.

I like Gaustad-Hecht-Kaleta as a dogged checking 3rd line. I really think Kaleta has the hockey IQ and the legs to be a legit 3rd-liner. Hecht unfortunately is overpaid for a 3rd-liner but I think it's where he's best suited.

I also think when we look at how close the team came to making the playoffs, there are a lot of "if we only had XYZ" items that could fairly have put us over the hump. Pommer and Hecht having better years would have done it, Vanek and Miller not getting hurt down the stretch would have done it, better leadership and the mental toughness to come out and play hard so we don't lose a ton of games to Atlanta and TB certainly would have done it, getting Lang or Rolston as FAs would have done it, etc., etc.

As for Miller, I thought overall he had a really good year last year. There isn't a goalie in the EC I would trade him for. And before anyone brings up Lundqvist, I urge you to review games 6 and 7 of their series against the Caps a couple of months ago, in which King Lundy royally crapped the bed.

How bout this? Ryan needs to be the best player on the ice in more games.

Otherwise, using the c-word consistency, I think we essentially agree on Miller for the first time.

I can't really argue with that. The way the team is now (and really over the last couple seasons) Ryan needed to be the best player on the ice for Buffalo, and he simply wasn't that consistently enough to carry them. For the most part I really liked his game this past year, and that stretch he had before he got hurt (Jan and Feb) was the most locked in and consistent we've seen him in a Sabres uniform. If he can eliminate (or minimize is probably a more realistic expectation) those slumps he tends to fall into, there won't be anyone complaining about him in the future.

I think the idea of him needing to be the Sabres' best player is something that evolved from the pond hockey style of a few years back, where I believe Ryan was simply asked to keep them in the game until the offense got going. I think he's struggled with not only that transition but also with the workload.

The offense is fine.....above average really

The goaltender is fine.....also above average/

What is missing is center depth and a dogged checking/shutdown line.

The team gave up too many leads.

If they are thinking Tim Kennedy might be ready for that third line center...I'm a little nervous....not saying he can't win the job....but seriously, a good checking line is really the 4 pts that was needed to tie for 4th.

Did you like Dominic Moore? I wouldn't mind having him back.

Archived