Matt Ellis

wonderbread

I was a big Ellis advocate throughout the season; I thought he provided a great deal of energy and played a solid physical game.

If this is indeed true, its good news.

Darcy still has some work to do though...I'm waiting on some trades.

SABRES SIGN MATT ELLIS

Buffalo Sabres

Jul 9, 2009, 6:50 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have signed unrestricted free agent forward Matt Ellis to a one-year contract.

Ellis (8/31/81, 6?1?, 210 lbs.) played in 45 games for the Sabres last season, setting career highs in goals (7), assists (5) and points (12). Ellis had a career-best three point game (2+1) in Boston on January 3, 2009. Ellis also had four points (2+2) in 12 games with Portland (AHL).

Ellis now has 20 points (10+10) in 115 career NHL games with Buffalo, Los Angeles and Detroit. The 27-year-old native of Welland, Ont., was claimed off waivers by the Sabres from Los Angeles on October 1, 2008.

He won't play in Portland, I don't even know if he can without going through waivers.

He is a good 4th liner and some cheap depth. Plus he is a local boy from a town only about 25 minutes from the arena. My ex knew his parents really well, she knew him a little too

He cleared last year.

No idea what the terms are, but I would imagine it's likely a two-way deal or a very low one-way deal. Either way, I like the signing. He's a good guy to anchor the 4th line with Mair. He's a 12th or 13th forward. I don't anticipate the Sabres will send him to Portland as he'd have to clear waivers and I think he'd be picked up relatively quickly. I know Ken Holland likes him and I know Dean Lombardi likes him as well and was about to pick him up last year when Buffalo sent him to Portland, but ended up not doing so. In fact Lombardi was pretty mad when the Sabres picked him up when they tried to send him to the minors. For these reasons, I think Ellis will likely be playing in Buffalo or in the press box this year and not in Portland.

With the signing of Ellis, and most of the other forwards under contract or restricted free agents, I'm not sure where there will be room for guys like Mancari, Gerbe, and Kennedy, at least assuming no injuries. If the plan is to have Gerbe and Kennedy playing in Buffalo this year, if not the whole season than quite a few games, then a few of the forwards have got to be traded. My money is on Stafford, Paille, MacArthur, or Hecht. Those are really the only guys that are either tradeable or might actually fetch value in return. I can't see anyone from the brat pack getting traded, though. We'll see what happens.

No idea what the terms are, but I would imagine it's likely a two-way deal or a very low one-way deal. Either way, I like the signing. He's a good guy to anchor the 4th line with Mair. He's a 12th or 13th forward. I don't anticipate the Sabres will send him to Portland as he'd have to clear waivers and I think he'd be picked up relatively quickly. I know Ken Holland likes him and I know Dean Lombardi likes him as well and was about to pick him up last year when Buffalo sent him to Portland, but ended up not doing so. In fact Lombardi was pretty mad when the Sabres picked him up when they tried to send him to the minors. For these reasons, I think Ellis will likely be playing in Buffalo or in the press box this year and not in Portland.

With the signing of Ellis, and most of the other forwards under contract or restricted free agents, I'm not sure where there will be room for guys like Mancari, Gerbe, and Kennedy, at least assuming no injuries. If the plan is to have Gerbe and Kennedy playing in Buffalo this year, if not the whole season than quite a few games, then a few of the forwards have got to be traded. My money is on Stafford, Paille, MacArthur, or Hecht. Those are really the only guys that are either tradeable or might actually fetch value in return. I can't see anyone from the brat pack getting traded, though. We'll see what happens.

um i really hope that isn't the plan

I like Ellis. He was one of the few guys that gave a consistent effort (pretty much) all season, for whatever it was worth. For a cheap, press-box traveller, he's a lot better than Peters.

However, I am getting antsy to see DR make some sort of moves. It should be pretty clear that the usual MO doesn't do the Sabres roster any good - penny pinching and stubbornness only gets you as far as tenth place.

I like Ellis. He was one of the few guys that gave a consistent effort (pretty much) all season, for whatever it was worth. For a cheap, press-box traveller, he's a lot better than Peters.

However, I am getting antsy to see DR make some sort of moves. It should be pretty clear that the usual MO doesn't do the Sabres roster any good - penny pinching and stubbornness only gets you as far as tenth place.

I'm hoping that's a two-way deal. Anybody know?

I'm waiting on that detail too, but it has to be. I just can't see Ellis ever given a guaranteed spot on an NHL roster, which is exactly what a one-way deal from Buffalo would be.

question for those who know the NHL cap rules -

what are the restrictions on a team signing two-way deals with players? what's stopping a team from signing a bunch of marginal players on two-way deals (staying under the cap), thereby letting them all come into form in the AHL and playing them in the NHL when they're hot?

what are the restrictions on a team signing two-way deals with players? what's stopping a team from signing a bunch of marginal players on two-way deals (staying under the cap), thereby letting them all come into form in the AHL and playing them in the NHL when they're hot?

On a two-way deal a player still has to clear waivers (if he is too old for waiver protection)...it just means that the team has negotiated a different salary structure depending which league he plays in.

I don't see anything that prevents two-way contracts for any player. The only real restriction is on the qualifying offers to retain a players rights. If they have a certain number of games played in the NHL, the qualifying offer must be a one-way deal. After that, they're still free to sign a two-way deal if they want. The player would be crazy to accept it though. They're essentially dropping a zero off of the end of their salary if they play in the minors.

For those interested, Ellis got a one year, one-way deal for the league minimum of $475,000 according to this article.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1663892

So, if he clears waivers and is sent to the minors, he's still going to make the $475,000 wherever he plays. Good for him, better on his agent. I like his effort and work ethic. He's not the greatest player or most talented, but I love what he brings to the ice in terms of hard work. The Sabres need more of that from the rest of the team.

Archived