Matt Ellis

wonderbread

For those interested, Ellis got a one year, one-way deal for the league minimum of $475,000 according to this article.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1663892

So, if he clears waivers and is sent to the minors, he's still going to make the $475,000 wherever he plays. Good for him, better on his agent. I like his effort and work ethic. He's not the greatest player or most talented, but I love what he brings to the ice in terms of hard work. The Sabres need more of that from the rest of the team.

Sounds like we can expect him to be traded now that he is happy to be Sabre.

For those interested, Ellis got a one year, one-way deal for the league minimum of $475,000 according to this article.

Ah, we have this year's Mike Ryan (not skill :unsure: wise, but contractually). Is it really worth signing him to a deal where he essentially has to stay with the big club? He's a borderline NHLer at best.

Ah, we have this year's Mike Ryan (not skill :unsure: wise, but contractually). Is it really worth signing him to a deal where he essentially has to stay with the big club? He's a borderline NHLer at best.

I'll take him in that slot over Andrew Peters any day.

If he can crash and bang 8-12 minutes a game on a 4th line and make defensemen work like hell to dig pucks out of corners - I have no problem with that.

Those are your borderline players.

The only problem is that he's waiver eligible and he has proven to be picked up on waivers (see the Sabres acquiring him off waivers, and I believe L.A. originally picked him up off waivers from Detroit). He did clear last year to Portland, though. The point is, there's a good chance a team would pick him up off waivers anyway, so if that's the case, he's likely going to be an NHL player regardless of where he plays because he's likely to get picked up off waivers.

Also, his cap hit is not a big deal, it's the league minimum. I agree with what you're saying though in that he really should be getting a two-way deal considering he's a pretty borderline player, but I think going into this year of UFA, he was really just looking for a one-way deal. He probably got some interest in the market and there were some higher paying two-way deals, but he took a discount on the salary to get a one-way deal with Buffalo. Everyone wins in that case since Buffalo gets him at the lowest possible salary, and he wins because he gets a one-way deal. For a guy like Ellis, he'll probably make more money on a $475K one way deal than on a $650K two-way deal.

Also, he's really not taking up an extra roster spot either. Basically, if Gerbe and Kennedy are good enough to play for the Sabres, he can be a healthy scratch and they can be recalled for free. There will likely be enough injuries on the team to where they could be recalled and Ellis would not be taking a roster spot. Also, as someone else mentioned on this thread, Ellis brought more offensively than Max this year and even played on the PK and was defensively responsible. I think he's a good 4th line guy to have if nothing else. Just my take.

I think he's a good 4th line guy to have if nothing else. Just my take.

I agree, I just loathed the Mike Ryan deal. He proved 1/2 way through his last year in Buffalo that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat and was useless most of the time.

Archived