How is Myers going to make the team

Derrico

Pretty well every post I have read about Myers on this board says that he will probably make the team this year. In no particular order, we have Sekera, Butler, Tallinder, Lydman, Rivet and Montador as a pretty sure fire top six. Can anyone really see any of them fall out of the top six as it stands now? I don't like Tallinder either but I think he's safe. Surely the Sabres would send Myers to develop in the OHL before having him sit as a 7th Dman. I think Weber will be given a much closer look than Myers and I think there would have to be two injured Dmen before Myers sniffs the team. So let's put the "we'll see how Myers does against real NHL'ers next year" to rest because it ain't happening.

This is not even considering the talk about trading for Kabrele.

Pretty well every post I have read about Myers on this board says that he will probably make the team this year. In no particular order, we have Sekera, Butler, Tallinder, Lydman, Rivet and Montador as a pretty sure fire top six. Can anyone really see any of them fall out of the top six as it stands now? I don't like Tallinder either but I think he's safe. Surely the Sabres would send Myers to develop in the OHL before having him sit as a 7th Dman. I think Weber will be given a much closer look than Myers and I think there would have to be two injured Dmen before Myers sniffs the team. So let's put the "we'll see how Myers does against real NHL'ers next year" to rest because it ain't happening.

It's a reasonable question, although I think there is NFW the Sabres trade for Kaberle.

I think the answer is that Darcy is going to try very hard to unload Tallinder or Lydman, and thus make room for one of the young defensemen. That young defenseman will be either Myers or Weber, whoever earns the job in camp.

If they feel Myers is ready, he will be in the lineup. I am certain that Darcy has Tallinder on his "to trade" list, though I do fear that it will be another Max situation from last year (won't take an offer that is below what Darcy feels he is worth; yes, I am aware that we don't actually know if they received such an offer for Max, but Darcy did seem to imply it.) Even if they can't move him and don't want to make Hank the 7th defenseman, they could carry 8 defensemen and rotate like they did with Butler last year, at least for Myers' 9 game tryout period before he either has to stay or return to juniors. Weber will get a look in camp, but may be relegated to first callup. He had a tough year last season and they may want to start him in Portland to see if he can get back on track and stay healthy.

Just for the record, Myers would play in the WHL, not the OHL.

Anyway, like nfreeman mentioned, Myers with the Sabres would pretty much hinge on Tallinder being moved. I don't think it would be as tough to move him as some people make it sound though. Teams are always looking for D and they'll find a taker if they really want to. As for Weber, after the rough year he has last season, another year in the AHL looks like his best option at this point. Whatever happens with him, he absolutely needs to move back in the right direction or there could be some serious problems there.

This is insanity. Overanalysis. I'd sit any of those four veteran defenseman (edit: defensemen; don't want the spelling po po to get me) to give Myers a shot.

The Buffalo mentality. Afraid of change. Might miss the playoffs for the sixth time in eight years. Almost seven in 10!

If for no other reason (and I'm sure there ARE others), Myers will make the club simply because he has NOTHING left to gain by going back to Kelowna. Nothing. Whereas, even if he's the 7th or even 8th D-man, which I doubt, he'll stand to gain a TON by taking advantage of a professionally prescribed diet and workout regimen, practice against NHL caliber personnel (hold the laughter, please), and just being around guys like Rivet, etc. whom he can learn a lot from.

That said, he's going to play in a lot more than the 10 games the Sabres have to make up their minds. All the signs are there.

GO SABRES!!!

One thing Darcy does not have is an itchy trigger finger...

I think he would be perfectly fine starting the season with

Butler-Rivet

Lydman-Montador

Sekera-Tallinder

Weber

And finishing the season with....

Butler-Rivet

Lydman-Montador

Sekera-Myers

Weber

If Paetch gets waived, I don't think he gets picked up and

he'll be overpaid in Portland, which is fine.

I think Regier tends to think year round, rather than opening day roster......

If he can't get a fair price for Tallinder I think he would be perfectly willing

to hold cards and wait for injuries around the league. I think he'll try to move

Tallinder......who for all the disappointment with him is still an even to plus player.

Getting Kaberle is pretty far fetched unless Darcy can pull off a 3 team deal with Burke.

Which both Burke and Regier have been known to do. I just think it's unlikely.

One thing Darcy does not have is an itchy trigger finger...

I think he would be perfectly fine starting the season with

Butler-Rivet

Lydman-Montador

Sekera-Tallinder

Weber

And finishing the season with....

Butler-Rivet

Lydman-Montador

Sekera-Myers

Weber

If Paetch gets waived, I don't think he gets picked up and

he'll be overpaid in Portland, which is fine.

I think Regier tends to think year round, rather than opening day roster......

If he can't get a fair price for Tallinder I think he would be perfectly willing

to hold cards and wait for injuries around the league. I think he'll try to move

Tallinder......who for all the disappointment with him is still an even to plus player.

Getting Kaberle is pretty far fetched unless Darcy can pull off a 3 team deal with Burke.

Which both Burke and Regier have been known to do. I just think it's unlikely.

Doesn't Lindy decide the lineup?

This is insanity. Overanalysis. I'd sit any of those four veteran defenseman (edit: defensemen; don't want the spelling po po to get me) to give Myers a shot.

The Buffalo mentality. Afraid of change. Might miss the playoffs for the sixth time in eight years. Almost seven in 10!

There's that almost again. If they make the playoffs this year, will you suddenly be saying "this team has almost made the playoffs 3 years in a row"?

There's that almost again. If they make the playoffs this year, will you suddenly be saying "this team has almost made the playoffs 3 years in a row"?

I would never say that. Stop confusing me.

I'd say "almost" is appropriate when it came down to the final moments of the regular season before a berth was secured.

OK but Lindy's going to prepare the dinner, and he wants to serve up a big ole Myers Kabob. Now what?

Well, Max was making $3MM last year and got healthy-scratched quite a few times, and both Lindy and Darcy need to win this year or else they're gone, so I'd say the Myers Kabob will be on the menu.

Myers doesn't really have any more growing to do in Juniors. If he makes the team Paetsch is waived and Montador becomes the 7th guy.

No way Montador is being paid whatever he is making to be # 7. At the very least, he'll be in Lindy's second pairing. Tallinder,who I know is making more money, has that written all over his swedish ass.

I would never say that. Stop confusing me.

I'd say "almost" is appropriate when it came down to the final moments of the regular season before a berth was secured.

Hey, if almost can go one way, it can go both ways (like inkman). After next year, they will almost have made the playoffs 5 straight seasons.

Really, I'm just pointing out how that almost thing you keep throwing out there seems ridiculous. Your point is fine without it and it really doesn't add anything.

Hey, if almost can go one way, it can go both ways (like inkman). After next year, they will almost have made the playoffs 5 straight seasons.

Really, I'm just pointing out how that almost thing you keep throwing out there seems ridiculous. Your point is fine without it and it really doesn't add anything.

I throw the almost thing out there only to annoy people like you. Now you can wonder what kind of person you are.

Rether they trade for Kaberle or not. Tallinder will be gone fore sure and maybe lydman to. I doubt both will be gone just one.

Tallinder will be gone fore sure and maybe lydman to.

I don't think the organ-eye-zation is as down on Lydman as most fans seem to be. I'd be shocked if he was moved unless another team insisted he be a part of a package to aquire a blue-liner. I think league wide he's fairly respected. Here is a little scouting report. It's a little old but I don't see it any differently today.

I don't think the organ-eye-zation is as down on Lydman as most fans seem to be. I'd be shocked if he was moved unless another team insisted he be a part of a package to aquire a blue-liner. I think league wide he's fairly respected. Here is a little scouting report. It's a little old but I don't see it any differently today.

No i agree with you Tallinder is way more likely to go then lydman im just sayin if an opportunity comes and he is asked in the deal. I don't think darcy would hesitate considering he on his last year but lydman is a good defender doesn't get beat alot but hes nothing special.

I think hurt feelings and he's making too much to be a healthy scratch are out the window. If Myers is playing well enough to be in the top 6 then he will be there. Tallinder will be gone by training camp and if he's not he will be #7. I bet Myers pairs with the tough vet Montador (Rivet stays with Butler) and Sekera can skate with Lydman.

Rether they trade for Kaberle or not. Tallinder will be gone fore sure and maybe lydman to. I doubt both will be gone just one.

What has the organization done thus far that makes you believe that "Tallinder will be gone for sure" or possibly lydman. True this board has been calling that all summer but I haven't even heard RUMOURS that either will be traded. Many ppl are still saying that Myers will make the team. Fine, but I still can't see Darcy moving a Dman. If he doesn't then someones gotta ride the pine, I'm just wondering who.

I think hurt feelings and he's making too much to be a healthy scratch are out the window. If Myers is playing well enough to be in the top 6 then he will be there. Tallinder will be gone by training camp and if he's not he will be #7. I bet Myers pairs with the tough vet Montador (Rivet stays with Butler) and Sekera can skate with Lydman.

Those pairings seem not bad. I guess I could see Tallinder maybe being a 7th?

Archived