How is Myers going to make the team

Derrico

I think hurt feelings and he's making too much to be a healthy scratch are out the window. If Myers is playing well enough to be in the top 6 then he will be there. Tallinder will be gone by training camp and if he's not he will be #7. I bet Myers pairs with the tough vet Montador (Rivet stays with Butler) and Sekera can skate with Lydman.

I like this. Have to check on right or left handed player match-up though.

Just for the record, Myers would play in the WHL, not the OHL.

Anyway, like nfreeman mentioned, Myers with the Sabres would pretty much hinge on Tallinder being [/b]moved. I don't think it would be as tough to move him as some people make it sound though. Teams are always looking for D and they'll find a taker if they really want to. As for Weber, after the rough year he has last season, another year in the AHL looks like his best option at this point. Whatever happens with him, he absolutely needs to move back in the right direction or there could be some serious problems there.

I wouldnt go there with that yet..They love him and they are ready to play him at the NHL level...No matter who sits he will get plenty of time on a regular shift as the season moves on..

What has the organization done thus far that makes you believe that "Tallinder will be gone for sure" or possibly lydman. True this board has been calling that all summer but I haven't even heard RUMOURS that either will be traded. Many ppl are still saying that Myers will make the team. Fine, but I still can't see Darcy moving a Dman. If he doesn't then someones gotta ride the pine, I'm just wondering who.

I wouldn't put it past Darcy that he believes Tallinder and Lydman are going to have breakout years because they are in the final year of their contract. Could it happen? Yes, Spach had a nice year last year, but I think what you see is what you get especially with Tallinder.

Apparently, Myers won't be getting a look from the Sabres this year.

Linky

MYERS NEEDS WORK: The signing of Steve Montador means 2008 first-round pick Tyler Myers doesn?t have to be ready to step into the Sabres lineup just yet ? and that?s probably a good thing.

Myers has all the tools, and the 6-foot-6 rearguard has great wheels with a reach that makes coaches drool. He emerged as the season played out in the Western Hockey League, leading Kelowna to a Memorial Cup appearance.

That said, his camp was average. Myers found himself off-balance against forwards who probably won?t ever sniff an NHL locker room. He is quick and has the skills to play in the league, but he didn?t look NHL-ready through many of the sessions.

Don?t be surprised if he starts the season back in Kelowna, although he?s got too many gifts to not be one of the team?s best players in the future. He better be. The team gave up on injury-prone Mike Funk and prospect Mike Card.

Linky

MYERS NEEDS WORK: The signing of Steve Montador means 2008 first-round pick Tyler Myers doesn?t have to be ready to step into the Sabres lineup just yet ? and that?s probably a good thing.

Myers has all the tools, and the 6-foot-6 rearguard has great wheels with a reach that makes coaches drool. He emerged as the season played out in the Western Hockey League, leading Kelowna to a Memorial Cup appearance.

That said, his camp was average. Myers found himself off-balance against forwards who probably won?t ever sniff an NHL locker room. He is quick and has the skills to play in the league, but he didn?t look NHL-ready through many of the sessions.

Don?t be surprised if he starts the season back in Kelowna, although he?s got too many gifts to not be one of the team?s best players in the future. He better be. The team gave up on injury-prone Mike Funk and prospect Mike Card.

There's no way he's worse than Hank, no way.

You were there Ink, would you agree with this article? (Not sure if you got to see enough of him)

You were there Ink, would you agree with this article? (Not sure if you got to see enough of him)

Not sure if I did see enough of him, but like Gerbe I'll use my jump to conclusions mat. He just looked like another guy there. Butler might have stood out a little but the only reason Myers stood out was because he's tall.

Not sure if I did see enough of him, but like Gerbe I'll use my jump to conclusions mat. He just looked like another guy there. Butler might have stood out a little but the only reason Myers stood out was because he's tall.

I see someone is up early reading their Niagara Gazette!

:thumbsup:

After that fluff article on Gerbe, I'd say they are just taking a stab. (Think Ecklund)

From everything I have read their would be no reason not to start this kid in Buffalo and see if he is as good as advertised.

From everything I have read their would be no reason not to start this kid in Buffalo and see if he is as good as advertised.

I think there has been too much hype. Not nearly to the level of Myers, but I just have my doubts about a guy his size. I've seen really short hockey players but Nathan looks like he's 5'2". He produced at the AHL level, and I hope he can on the NHL level, but to me he just looks like an embarrassingly small fringe hockey NHL player.

Linky

MYERS NEEDS WORK: The signing of Steve Montador means 2008 first-round pick Tyler Myers doesn't have to be ready to step into the Sabres lineup just yet ? and that's probably a good thing.

That said, his camp was average. Myers found himself off-balance against forwards who probably won't ever sniff an NHL locker room. He is quick and has the skills to play in the league, but he didn't look NHL-ready through many of the sessions.

Don't be surprised if he starts the season back in Kelowna, although he's got too many gifts to not be one of the team's best players in the future. He better be. The team gave up on injury-prone Mike Funk and prospect Mike Card.

Your first sentence is quite a leap, especially considering the source of this "scouting report."

They need to keep Myers up, even if he's not quite ready. He is the future of the defense and needs the experience. If Luke Schenn can stick a whole year, so can Myers. He'll have rough times, but he's not going to gain anything by going back to junior. This is one of those times where being with the big club will help him advance, as opposed to hinder it.

I don't think he's the type that will be ruined by staying up. Schenn wasn't ruined on an awful Leaf club. Myers will be fine. No time like the present.

They need to keep Myers up, even if he's not quite ready. He is the future of the defense and needs the experience. If Luke Schenn can stick a whole year, so can Myers. He'll have rough times, but he's not going to gain anything by going back to junior. This is one of those times where being with the big club will help him advance, as opposed to hinder it.

I don't think he's the type that will be ruined by staying up. Schenn wasn't ruined on an awful Leaf club. Myers will be fine. No time like the present.

.. and at what point do they decide that the season is a wash and we might as well keep all the kids up to get some big league experience?

remember, even around the trade deadline last season the Penguins were floundering and suddenly 'found' it.. to the point where teams would rather play the B's than the Pens in the playoffs

.. and at what point do they decide that the season is a wash and we might as well keep all the kids up to get some big league experience?

remember, even around the trade deadline last season the Penguins were floundering and suddenly 'found' it.. to the point where teams would rather play the B's than the Pens in the playoffs

They have 9 games to decide, before he has to go back to juniors. I guess if they go 1-8 or 0-9, the season could be considered a wash. :beer:

I'm a little foggy on the details here, but for some reason I feel like Pittsburgh had already righted the ship by the time the deadline hit. Then they added a bit more.

I'm a little foggy on the details here, but for some reason I feel like Pittsburgh had already righted the ship by the time the deadline hit. Then they added a bit more.

Their big win streak (and even bigger "unbeaten" streak -- a loss is not a loss if it's in OT :rolleyes: ) was just three games old at the deadline. Prior to that, they had spent almost 20 games playing .500 hockey after their big losing streak. They changed coaches about six games before the deadline and then traded Whitney for Kunitz about three games before the deadline. At the deadline, they got Guerin.

I still can't believe that adding the hair puller Kunitz was actually a spark for that team.

I'd say adding Kunitz and Guerin to the top six and taking Satan out was the big spark. A change in play style (from the coach) probably didn't hurt, either.

I still can't believe that adding the hair puller Kunitz was actually a spark for that team.

I think it was much more a matter of getting Fleury and Gonchar back and looking sharp.

I had never had a very high opinion of Gonchar, but to his credit, with him back they looked like

a totally different team.

also firing Therien helped.....this was the guy with Crosby, Malone, Malkin, Staal etc. who trapped in the playoffs last year because he had no confidence in his blueline.

Archived