Golisano changing residency to save cash

Claude Balls

He's old and wealthy, so by law, he's required to move to Florida.

I actually met him at a game in Tampa a couple years back.

Before I realized who he was I thought he looked like a retired snowbird.

This is a perfect example of why the answer to budget deficits is NOT "just raise taxes". Raising taxes causes taxpayers -- especially those with options (ie the wealthy, who pay almost all of the taxes) -- to vote with their feet and leave. Now, instead of NYS getting millions in taxes every year from OSP, it is going to get zero. Brilliant.

This is a perfect example of why the answer to budget deficits is NOT "just raise taxes". Raising taxes causes taxpayers -- especially those with options (ie the wealthy, who pay almost all of the taxes) -- to vote with their feet and leave. Now, instead of NYS getting millions in taxes every year from OSP, it is going to get zero. Brilliant.

OSP is just following the unsweetened tea, consumed heavily in the humid climes of the south. Because where you find unsweetened tea...

Well why in the hell did he build that mansion in the Fishers/Pittsford Mendon area a few years ago?

Money saving tip

The article has been updated and apparently he is keeping the house or what we would call, a mansion, in Mendon. He also goes on to state that having the extra 5 mill a year would be nice to give to charities instead of NYS. Nothing at all about maybe improving the state of his hockey team. Do I smell a Naples Sabres franchise coming in the near future???

The article has been updated and apparently he is keeping the house or what we would call, a mansion, in Mendon. He also goes on to state that having the extra 5 mill a year would be nice to give to charities instead of NYS. Nothing at all about maybe improving the state of his hockey team. Do I smell a Naples Sabres franchise coming in the near future???

No, but we smell a strange smoke coming from your pipe!

1. Well, he's not running against Paterson, then.

2. Florida taxes = Florida schools. No, I'm not interested in an argument about politics.

Wow. That was pretty general. My wife is a teacher here in Florida, and while the state has it's bad schools, there are MANY excellent schools as well. Basically, it's just like any other state, including NY.

Maybe he is just preping early for Basillie finally getting his Hamilton team?

I had the same exact thought.

Yeah, why would he want to pay taxes? The NY state government would probably only waste it on something stupid like subsidizing billioinaire sports franchise owners by building them stadiums and infrastructure and giving them sweetheart deals on concession and parking revenue.

What a waste of taxpayer money that is. :doh:

Good post ! And the truth whether people accept it or not.

2. Florida taxes = Florida schools. No, I'm not interested in an argument about politics.

I'm not either, but I will note that schools receive a much greater percentage of their funding from local property taxes than from state income taxes. So the point that lower state income taxes gets you crappier schools (if that is what you were saying) is not valid.

Yeah, why would he want to pay taxes? The NY state government would probably only waste it on something stupid like subsidizing billioinaire sports franchise owners by building them stadiums and infrastructure and giving them sweetheart deals on concession and parking revenue.

What a waste of taxpayer money that is. :doh:

valid point. It makes me sick to know that stadiums are funded priomarily by taxpayer $$ then the profit goes directly to the ownership group...."the rich get richer..."

Considering Golisano's total wealth, what do these taxes amount to? Carp can do the math ("Do the math" I command thee), but it's probably like the average worker dropping a 20 dollar bill on a pizza and tip (if it's a cool -- I mean frightening -- delivery guy).

Seriously, I wouldn't move to Florida for love nor money. Humidity, insects and large people showing their nether regions. Hell on Earth.

Considering Golisano's total wealth, what do these taxes amount to? Carp can do the math ("Do the math" I command thee), but it's probably like the average worker dropping a 20 dollar bill on a pizza and tip (if it's a cool -- I mean frightening -- delivery guy).

Seriously, I wouldn't move to Florida for love nor money. Humidity, insects and large people showing their nether regions. Hell on Earth.

Isn't that the state motto? I think it's written on the bottom of their flag.

They amount to a big enough number to make him decide it's not worth it and leave. And the shrinking tax base in NYS, both personal and corporate, over the past 20 years, with Buffalo and Rochester, among other cities, literally dying on the vine, makes it clear that lots of people and companies (ie jobs) have done the same.

This reminds me of MLB fining Bobby Jenks $750 earlier this week. That's the equivalent of a $7.50 fine for me. I almost fell off the treadmill at the gym when I saw that on sportscenter, I was laughing so hard.

They amount to a big enough number to make him decide it's not worth it and leave. And the shrinking tax base in NYS, both personal and corporate, over the past 20 years, with Buffalo and Rochester, among other cities, literally dying on the vine, makes it clear that lots of people and companies (ie jobs) have done the same.

Which came first, the shrinking tax base or the higher taxes?

Which came first, the shrinking tax base or the higher taxes?

Well if the shrinking tax base had come first, then there would've been a period of lower overall tax revenues that were then restored to the pre-shrinkage level by virtue of the increased taxes, right? Do you think that is what happened?

Well if the shrinking tax base had come first, then there would've been a period of lower overall tax revenues that were then restored to the pre-shrinkage level by virtue of the increased taxes, right? Do you think that is what happened?

I haven't studied this. But the population drains in a lot of places in the Rust Belt started just after World War II. There was a big recession after the war. Millions of GIs had seen the world and came home to the GI Bill. There was a housing boom. And a baby boom. The interstate highway system flourished. For the first time most people had cars. Air travel. Television. People could see that the grass was greener somewhere else. Our society became more mobile. My theory is that all of this led to the beginning of The Flee. (And the 60s forced even more people out of the inner cities.) All of this led to higher taxes. And the vicious circle.

I don't think taxes all of a sudden shot up in Buffalo and New York in the 40s and 50s, forcing people to say, "Hey, (insert name of southern or western hot spot at the time) sounds like a great place to live!"

As usual, I could be totally full of it.

I haven't studied this. But the population drains in a lot of places in the Rust Belt started just after World War II. There was a big recession after the war. Millions of GIs had seen the world and came home to the GI Bill. There was a housing boom. And a baby boom. The interstate highway system flourished. For the first time most people had cars. Air travel. Television. People could see that the grass was greener somewhere else. Our society became more mobile. My theory is that all of this led to the beginning of The Flee. (And the 60s forced even more people out of the inner cities.) All of this led to higher taxes. And the vicious circle.

I don't think taxes all of a sudden shot up in Buffalo and New York in the 40s and 50s, forcing people to say, "Hey, (insert name of southern or western hot spot at the time) sounds like a great place to live!"

As usual, I could be totally full of it.

Actually, I think you pretty much nailed it, though I would add that technological changes (air conditioning) played a major role in making the South livable, combined with heavy federal investment in highways and the defense establishment, which also enriched the sun belt. Those federal investments, paid for by taxes from elsewhere in the country, and the demographic Ponzi scheme of luring people from high tax states after they have completed their education without making appropriate investments in their own educational establishments both undermine any claims by Sunbelters that their "small gubmint" principles are the basis of their prosperity....

Archived