Ruff & Regier keep jobs

nobody

WGR website

Article from Paul Hamilton.

"As I travel around the NHL cities in every single place I go, he's held in the highest regard. My sources say Edmonton was hoping he'd leave Buffalo so they could hire him. He of course must take some heat for this year's team, but he's been stuck with some underachieving players that don't win championships for him or any other coach. The argument that other teams fire coaches to me is silly. Who cares what other teams do. If he gets some better players that can play in the clutch and he fails with them, I'll be the first one there to say fire him.

With this done I would expect players like Jochen Hecht, Henrik Tallinder and Clarke MacArthur to become former Sabres. I also think Derek Roy is not untouchable and could be had if a team is willing to part with the right players."

WGR website

No article yet - just a title

From the Sabres website:

Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn today announced that General Manager Darcy Regier and head coach Lindy Ruff will return next season in their current roles with the organization. Ownership is very excited to have these two individuals return to help lead the organization back to the playoffs next season.

EDIT: I'm not certain who Darcy and Lindy are "help(ing)" to actually lead the organization, but I don't like the way that is worded. Those 2 should be leading, not helping to lead.

"As I travel around the NHL cities in every single place I go, he's held in the highest regard. My sources say Edmonton was hoping he'd leave Buffalo so they could hire him. He of course must take some heat for this year's team, but he's been stuck with some underachieving players that don't win championships for him or any other coach. The argument that other teams fire coaches to me is silly. Who cares what other teams do.

I'm glad someone like Hamilton said this. Other teams have fired coaches for stupid reasons and the mere fact that other teams fire a coach doesn't mean you should fire yours.

With this done I would expect players like Jochen Hecht, Henrik Tallinder and Clarke MacArthur to become former Sabres. I also think Derek Roy is not untouchable and could be had if a team is willing to part with the right players."

Agree, but I'd like to keep Roy around. Time is up for Hecht & Tallinder and MacArthur hasn't blossomed like he should have. It's time to either infuse the youth and/or bring in some guys who can play.

From the Sabres website:

EDIT: I'm not certain who Darcy and Lindy are "help(ing)" to actually lead the organization, but I don't like the way that is worded. Those 2 should be leading, not helping to lead.

True that. Unfortunately, sounds like FO status quo rules the day once again. (If TG/LQ is still pulling the strings behind the scenes)

I hate you Quinn! :angry: What happened to the exhaustive and extensive review? I've never hated this hockey team/organization more than at this very moment.

LQ and OSP, I have one thing to say... <insert FU smiley>

:angry: :angry: :angry:

PS This just reeks of OSP not wanting to pay the salaries of a fired coach and GM. Cheap F***!

Removing hecht and tallinder and replacing them with another 2nd line defencemen and center doesn't change this teams dynamics all that much. There is simply too many players with the same style, so I really hope a "no change" in the front office leads to a "big change" in the team.

I would like to see at least 4 new faces this summer... 2 with potential but still starters, and 2 with 1st/2nd line positions. I'm also not talking about Gerbe or Kennedy.

Can someone please sign on and get fired up! I feel like I am a one man crusader right now. :rolleyes:

Sorry, not sure what to say. I think this shows that Quinn is in charge and no one is accountable. If Regier is 100% in charge of personnel, he should have been let go. Not sure about Ruff. I like having him here so I don't feel bad that he is staying. However, it seems like things will stay the same and we will just see the UFA leave and call ups from Portland to replace them.

However, it seems like things will stay the same and we will just see the UFA leave and call ups from Portland to replace them.

Next seasons roster...

Stafford-Roy-Vanek

Pominville-Connolly-Gerbe

Hecht-Gaustad-Kennedy

Kaleta-Mair-Paille

MacArthur-Peters

Rivet-Butler

Lydman-Tallinder

Weber-Sekera

Paetsch

Miller

Lalime

6 out of 8!

I am quite happy that Ruff is staying. Hopefully he get more say on what the team looks like. I hope Regier also gets more authority to determine the makeup of the team. Take Quinn and Golisano out of the hockey business and let them just worry about the business/marketing part only.

Blu you expected more from a team that let Dumont, Grier, Drury,briere and Mckee go in a 1 yr span and GET NOTHING IN RETURN!!!!! Come on I thought you new better....The secret to Happiness is low expectations..Dopnt worry most games will still sell out next year and you will have lotsa company bemoaning this team once again..

I hope Regier also gets more authority to determine the makeup of the team.

Huh? While Regier may not have the final say on all contracts, who do you think is making the calls on draft day and FA? I wouldn't doubt for a minute that DR still believes that the "new" NHL will come back and he can have Gerbe, Byron, Ennis and Roy all on the ice at once.

Who knew that an "extensive top-to-bottom review" of an entire sports franchise could be done in less than a week. I agree with Schopp or the Bulldog, whichever one it was, who said that an extensive review should include watching the teams in the playoffs to see what makes up a playoff-caliber team. It's not like they will be making player changes during the playoffs (I don't even think non-playoff teams can make trades right now), so at the very least, they could have waited until they were over to give the illusion that it was extensive.

Blu you expected more from a team that let Dumont, Grier, Drury,briere and Mckee go in a 1 yr span and GET NOTHING IN RETURN!!!!! Come on I thought you new better....The secret to Happiness is low expectations..Dopnt worry most games will still sell out next year and you will have lotsa company bemoaning this team once again..

I did expect more. You would think that I would know better by now considering how I feel about Quinny. :wallbash:

Huh? While Regier may not have the final say on all contracts, who do you think is making the calls on draft day and FA? I wouldn't doubt for a minute that DR still believes that the "new" NHL will come back and he can have Gerbe, Byron, Ennis and Roy all on the ice at once.

My belief is that Quinn is sticking his opinion into every decision that Darcy tries to make.

Archived