Ruff & Regier keep jobs

nobody

Excerpt from the Buffalo News Sabres Blog...

The Sabres have missed the playoffs in five of the past seven seasons. Following this second consecutive failure, Quinn promised the "most thorough top-to-bottom evaluation ever done here." He said today the review is only 5 percent complete. It was enough to persuade him to keep Regier in the front office and Ruff behind the bench.

Can this guy every say anything without coming across as a complete a#$^$#!e? He is doing a top to bottom evaluation that is 5% done and has come to the conclusion that they both will be back? Seriously? What does the other 95% consist of? Overpriced SabreStyle merchandise? Concessions? Who will the sponsor be on the shovels next year? Bringing in Ronan Tynan for more games? Do me a favor and go stand inside the Aud when they get ready to pull down the next section of the roof.

What a tool. :censored:

The Sabres have missed the playoffs in five of the past seven seasons. Following this second consecutive failure, Quinn promised the "most thorough top-to-bottom evaluation ever done here." He said today the review is only 5 percent complete. It was enough to persuade him to keep Regier in the front office and Ruff behind the bench.

Can this guy every say anything without coming across as a complete a#$^$#!e? He is doing a top to bottom evaluation that is 5% done and has come to the conclusion that they both will be back? Seriously? What does the other 95% consist of? Overpriced SabreStyle merchandise? Concessions? Who will the sponsor be on the shovels next year? Bringing in Ronan Tynan for more games? Do me a favor and go stand inside the Aud when they get ready to pull down the next section of the roof.

Coincidentally, the waterfront is also 5% complete.

Hard to get upset anymore. Just shake my head and.....

I have a feeling this team will be moving some players this coming summer. Status Quo has gone on too long. Players will be moved.

I would also think that Tyler Myers and Ennis will get extensive looks next year. Hopefully the team changes it's make-up (and I don't mean the face kind that many currently wear).

I ma happy about Ruff being retained, Regier I don't know about...I mean he has done a pretty good job replenishing the talent in Portland in short order, but at the same time, what good does that do if you refuse to retain your best players when they get really good. They have done a better job with that, but now it appears they have retained some of the wrong players, and now will likely have trouble moving some of the dead weight on this team like Tallinder, MacArthur, Hecht(although I think last year was just a really bad year for him), etc...

I'm actually glad Ruff is sticking around. Don't know what to think about Regier - he's always come across as a guy who had his hands tied. Remember the presser where he came out and said the team will be significantly weakened by the loss of Drury and Briere? I can't imagine anyone in the front office likes it when the home crowd boos the home team, and when the talk about firing one of the faces of the Sabres (Ruff and Regier) starts a month before playoffs. From a strict business perspective, it's bad business, and customer loyalty only goes so far. Another season in the crapper like these past two and the team could start losing some serious money.

So, with that said, I would have to imagine that they have player changes on their minds. Quinn is an arrogant bastard, but even arrogant bastards with any business sense will know you can't push around your customer base for too long before it starts to affect the bottom line. And they know if some changes don't happen this off season and the next season is a bust, they're staring at many years of operating losses. So, again, at this point the only sensible thing to expect is roster changes. Which I would be totally happy with because I think if Ruff had the right tools (players who give a damn) he could whip up an incredible team.

I'll say it: I'm not unhappy at all. It would've been a panic move, and an unfair one, to can either of them. Bottom line is that Darcy built a great team -- the best team we've had in 30 years -- and had to watch it get gutted by TG and LQ. (And, btw, nobody here and nobody in the media knows what the real story is as far as how much blame TG bears and how much LQ bears -- when pressed for specifics, Bucky keeps going back to "well, it had to be this because otherwise, XYZ -- in other words, no specific knowledge of anything, just inference.)

That's not to say that Darcy is blameless. I think he was finally given autonomy -- if not 100% then pretty close to it -- last summer, and he didn't do enough in terms of filling the leadership void. And the Hecht contract (and maybe Pommer's) looks awful at this point. But I think it's only fair to give him another year to right the ship -- and it needs to be a year in which the higher-ups provide a reasonable budget and then stay out of the way.

I think Darcy and Lindy will both deliver the goods, and the Sabres will be good enough to compete for the 5-6-7 slot next year. You want better than that? So do I. But too much talent has departed in the last 2-3 years, and the Sabres don't have the cash or the cachet to bring in guys like Hossa or Bouwmeester. It will be another few years, and a number of things will have to break in their favor, to get back to the top.

With this current "rebuilding phase" the Sabres are going through,i would like to think that the down years are over with for now. We've had 2 far below par seasons,both in which we failed to make the post season. You would like to suspect that we're in a good positon to become a 5 to 8 th seed team for a couple reasons.

-The core has gained another season of experience. And that experience has also come with disapointment.

-The cap has been far below the maximum amount for 2 seasons now. So that leads one to think that there ready to spend next season.

-Hopefully there will be a removal of deadweight. That will lead to..

- ...An infusion of youth next season.

Either way another off season is a long time from now,and i'm fairly certain we will all drive ourselves insane pondering the possibilites.

I'm actually glad Ruff is sticking around. Don't know what to think about Regier - he's always come across as a guy who had his hands tied. Remember the presser where he came out and said the team will be significantly weakened by the loss of Drury and Briere? I can't imagine anyone in the front office likes it when the home crowd boos the home team, and when the talk about firing one of the faces of the Sabres (Ruff and Regier) starts a month before playoffs. From a strict business perspective, it's bad business, and customer loyalty only goes so far. Another season in the crapper like these past two and the team could start losing some serious money.

So, with that said, I would have to imagine that they have player changes on their minds. Quinn is an arrogant bastard, but even arrogant bastards with any business sense will know you can't push around your customer base for too long before it starts to affect the bottom line. And they know if some changes don't happen this off season and the next season is a bust, they're staring at many years of operating losses. So, again, at this point the only sensible thing to expect is roster changes. Which I would be totally happy with because I think if Ruff had the right tools (players who give a damn) he could whip up an incredible team.

Completely agree. The mere fact this was publicly announced, and so quickly at that, tells me this; Ya, we're keeping these guys, but this is it. You have this year to turn it around or else we need to move in a different direction. I would think (but am not holding my breath) Darcy takes the hint and pulls some miracles out of his butt to move some dead weight and bring in some grit/defense. I'm actually a little excited about what may be to come..... but again, not holding my breath either :blush:

Lets hope they do something about the "underachieving players" and replace them with acheivers that can lead the rest that are lost.

Well, since they kept their underachieving GM and coach around, why wouldn't they keep their underachieving players around?

Harsh wording, but my point stands - Nothing ever changes with the Buffalo Sabres.

Honestly, not surpised Darcy has kept his job, but Lindy i am. He's a terrific coach but he has lost this team. It was clear. I don't think Darcy has done that bad of a job. I still think adding Dominic Moore was a good move. The true test for Darcy will be this summer if he can unload some of the bad contracts, get some draft picks in return and add a player or two within the salary cap, as well as extending Sekera and Stafford long term. I've always been a fan of Darcy's but if he screws up this summer, we may be feeling the effects long after the Darcy era ends.

-Hopefully there will be a removal of deadweight. That will lead to..

- ...An infusion of youth next season.

Replacing deadweight like Tallinder and Hecht and replacing them with youth(Gerbe, Kennedy & Weber?) is going to get the Sabres where next season?

DR and LQ want me to be a believer again? Try this...

Trade one of the following...Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly or Stafford. This team needs a shakeup!

Dump the deadweight...Hecht, Tallinder

Sabre UFA's...Consider signing Spacek to a two year deal. The others can take a hike...Moore, Max, Peters, Ellis, Teppo

Let the players who survived the offseason know that they will be shipped out in a hurry if they don't produce. At the top of the list would be fringe guys like Mair, Paille & MacArthur.

" He of course must take some heat for this year's team, but he's been stuck with some underachieving players that don't win championships for him or any other coach."

When is the last time Ruff won a championship?

"The argument that other teams fire coaches to me is silly. Who cares what other teams do."

I care what other teams do. For example, the Detroit Red Wings actually have a scouting department.

"With this done I would expect players like Jochen Hecht, Henrik Tallinder and Clarke MacArthur to become former Sabres. I also think Derek Roy is not untouchable and could be had if a team is willing to part with the right players."

I like the way MacArthur played down the stretch. I'd give him another shot next year. I like Derek Roy. He's a sparkplug, but think he's permanently in Ruff's doghouse.

I think the team can use a change for coach. Ruff has had eleven years. I think he doesn't have the sophistication to be a championship NHL coach; he's a primitive. Don't have to even talk to me about Regier signing alot of bad contracts, not negotiating well and setting up an atmosphere of players not wanting to come to Buffalo or stay there.

Replacing deadweight like Tallinder and Hecht and replacing them with youth(Gerbe, Kennedy & Weber?) is going to get the Sabres where next season?

Trade one of the following...Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly or Stafford. This team needs a shakeup!

Sabre UFA's...Consider signing Spacek to a two year deal. The others can take a hike...Moore, Max, Peters, Ellis, Teppo

Let the players who survived the offseason know that they will be shipped out in a hurry if they don't produce. At the top of the list would be fringe guys like Mair, Paille & MacArthur.

I was with you until the let the players know they will be "shipped out in a hurry part." It's not that easy. You're in your 20s. You might get traded to LA, Phoenix, San Jose or Florida (Miami). At the very least you're going to remain in the NHL. What's the punishment?

I dont believe bringing Gerbe and Kennedy up is going to do much in the short term,but those are changes we all know are coming. They need alot more new faces than just the ones they have in Portland. Its more realistic to think that Gerbe and Kennedy will have there chance,rather than to throw a bunch of players names out there we all know there not going after.

Obviously when Regier talks of being patient he is speaking of bringing up the kids. And thats fine,but we need more than that by this point. The sensable idea would be to remove Hecht,Tallinder and Max and replace them with the right pieces. For players that would be here for 2 to 3 seasons. Players that have a substantial amount of grit to there game. And preferably,guys with experience that can help the overall feel in that locker room. But in the mean while bring the kids up slowly. Maybe have Gerbe play 20 games next season,or something to that extend. But the bottom line is,they need to do more than just fall back on the youth.

While i dont think players like Roy,Vanek and Connolly should be traded,i do agree that Stafford's time is coming to an end. He needs to really step it up and mature this upcoming season. Hes had 2 years to grow and thats more than enough time,given the potential we've seen out of him. I would wait until November,December to see how hes playing and hopfully try to get a trade out of him while he has value.

I was with you until the let the players know they will be "shipped out in a hurry part." It's not that easy. You're in your 20s. You might get traded to LA, Phoenix, San Jose or Florida (Miami). At the very least you're going to remain in the NHL. What's the punishment?

Good point.

I did expect more. You would think that I would know better by now considering how I feel about Quinny. :wallbash:

Mark this down Blue....Ruff will not be extended he will finish out his contract next year and the Sabes wont resign him and he will leave..Next yr Darcy will not be resigned and he will walk..This is the way the Sabres due business... :wallbash:

Archived