GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Come on, let's stop making out the Sabres to be some ECHL team. Do they have a Ovechkin? No. Nobody does. But Thomas Vanek is pretty damn good too. You know, AO gets streaky too. Right?

Great game tonight. Before the game, my friend asked me if i was going to watch and i said of course, i love hockey and i love the Sabres. But, i said i don't expect any miracles. I don't think we're making the playoffs. And i still don't. But, tonight was maybe the best they've played in the 3rd period all year, and they have had several solid periods this season. They were not losing this game. They were flying out there. Wish we had seen that type of effort a few times last several weeks and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. Oh well. What can you do. It was a good effort and glad they won it. If we don't make it, which i still think we don't, i'm glad we made it hard on someone else too... Florida is in big trouble tonight as well. Their fans are now second guessing not trading Jay Bouwmeester.

Well true, but somehow the gaps in between those streaks seem very short, to say the least.

But of course he has his coldstreaks, but when he doesn't score he sets people up, plays defense, hits, hustles and is still an asset when he's not on the scoreboard.

Vanek is much a better allrounder than he was last year. I haven't really watched enough Caps games to know if OV plays well in his own zone, but from what I've seen it's not like his a liability like Briere in his own end?

Though in goalscoring, playmaking skills, skating, playing physical when he has to - OV does one better on Vanek in all of those categories. That said, I think with OV what you see is what you'll ever get, whereas I hope Vanek can keep improving.

I think Vanek is better when screening the goaltender though, but I still think he's being wasted by Lindy in there. Turning Vanek into the second coming of Andreychuk is a huge mistake, he can do so much more.

It's not a comeback, it's a "Dead Cat Bounce." :death:

It's a comeback until they are eliminated.

There are 9 games left. That's not a huge stretch. They play Montreal and can be 3 points out by Sunday baring any collapse against the Leafs.

So for the final 9 games until they are eliminated my thoughts will be, why not the Sabres? Why can't they be the playoff push story this year?

The only task this team has to accomplish is to beat the Leafs at home. Complete that and move to the next one. The Sabres are a rarity, they are 100% healthy this far into the season. That has to be a sign of something.

Go Sabres.

There are 9 games left. That's not a huge stretch. They play Montreal and can be 3 points out by Sunday baring any collapse against the Leafs.

So for the final 9 games until they are eliminated my thoughts will be, why not the Sabres? Why can't they be the playoff push story this year?

The only task this team has to accomplish is to beat the Leafs at home. Complete that and move to the next one. The Sabres are a rarity, they are 100% healthy this far into the season. That has to be a sign of something.

Go Sabres.

Wow, optimism from Deluca. I can't believe it.

The chance is slim with only 9 games left, but it's definitely there. Miller's coming back. If he's truly healthy and there are no setbacks, he can put this team on his back like he has done in the past and will this team to victories to get them into the top 8. Montreal is sliding and we picked up 2 huge points against Florida, in what was really a 4 point game. Got to beat Toronto, and if so, we're back in it.

Great win. Fun game...there, that's out of the way. Why does Lindy keep playing Pominville at the point on the PP? I have always hated him there. He doesn't really have a big shot and he has trouble keeping the puck in. Watching his goal last night(which was very pretty), I feel like he is being wasted back there since he seems to score all of his goals in close.

I watched the entire game last night without logging on once. Just let it happen, so to speak. Nice 2:05 explosion in the third when they looked all but dead. 40+ SOG for 3rd consecutive game. They are truly snake bit when it comes to scoring goals.

Last night means zero if they lay an egg against Toronto. Moore scores four in his return...

Go Sabres.

OK, what have you done with our friend DeLuca?

GO SABRES!!!

I can't imagine what Gaustad was thinking with his turnover leading to goal one and Lydman AND Tallinder are pushed backward into the goalie by one Panther for goal 3? Huh?

For one night, it was great to see a solid third period of offense. Disturbing that two of the supposed offensive leaders were stapled to the bench for most of it.

Rivet has not played his best hockey, but absolutely love his willingness to stand up for his teammates.

See, if we make the playoffs, I told you all that it started last night.

Hell, even if we don't make it, we're all back on the bandwagon and excited for a few more days.

Wish I felt the same way. The excitement for this season is gone for me. They may end up making the playoffs and have me eating my words, but I doubt it. :(

I did not see the game. I just watched the online highlights on Yahoo. From what I saw, the three 3rd period goals were all flubs by Voukun. While it's nice that the Sabres came back and won it, its not like they took the game back from Florida. Voukun coughed it up for them.

I still can't understand why this team can't score a freakin' goal? They get chances but they hit the post of miss the open net or something. Talk about snakebit. They may make a good run here but I'm not holding my breath. This team needs to get blown up anyway.

PTR

I did not see the game. I just watched the online highlights on Yahoo. From what I saw, the three 3rd period goals were all flubs by Voukun. While it's nice that the Sabres came back and won it, its not like they took the game back from Florida. Voukun coughed it up for them.

The only one that I actually remember was anything but a flub by Vokoun. Connolly's powerplay goal was a beautiful top shelf tip by Bouwmeester. Good luck finding any goalie who will consistently make that save.

Wow, optimism from Deluca. I can't believe it.

The chance is slim with only 9 games left, but it's definitely there. Miller's coming back. If he's truly healthy and there are no setbacks, he can put this team on his back like he has done in the past and will this team to victories to get them into the top 8. Montreal is sliding and we picked up 2 huge points against Florida, in what was really a 4 point game. Got to beat Toronto, and if so, we're back in it.

We have all summer to tear them a new one.

Last night they reminded all of us that yeah this game can be fun to watch. If they can continue that for the final nine games at least they would have given the fans something in a lost season.

I just want to sit back and enjoy the final couple of weeks without the stress that the frustration towards this team causes.

He is some real optimism for you. If the Habs lose to the Lightning tonight and the Sabres beat the Leafs and the Habs? Buffalo is one point behind Montreal.

The only one that I actually remember was anything but a flub by Vokoun. Connolly's powerplay goal was a beautiful top shelf tip by Bouwmeester. Good luck finding any goalie who will consistently make that save.

Yeah, our forwards couldn't have placed a tip any better than Bouwmeester did. Definitely a little luck for us there. Pommer's goal was also a nice deflection of a point shot from right in close to Vokoun, which is very hard to stop. The one that he probably wants back is MacArthur's, but give Clarke some credit, that was a rocket, just off the ice, five hole. That's tough to save when the goaltender is still up.

I still can't understand why this team can't score a freakin' goal? They get chances but they hit the post of miss the open net or something. Talk about snakebit. They may make a good run here but I'm not holding my breath. This team needs to get blown up anyway.

PTR

The same reason why Vanek and Stafford didn't leave the bench in the third. Too fancy instead of just letting it rip. See MacArthur's goal. Sure makes a difference when a shot gets through from the point too.

Yeah, our forwards couldn't have placed a tip any better than Bouwmeester did. Definitely a little luck for us there. Pommer's goal was also a nice deflection of a point shot from right in close to Vokoun, which is very hard to stop. The one that he probably wants back is MacArthur's, but give Clarke some credit, that was a rocket, just off the ice, five hole. That's tough to save when the goaltender is still up.

The Sabres fortune came from just putting the puck on net. So many good things happen by just getting the puck on net.

It's funny that White on WGR this morning was whining about fans yelling "shoot" on the power play when the Sabres won a game by just basically getting the puck to the net. A couple of tip-ins, a goal Vokoun would like to have back are things that happened because the Sabres got the puck to the net.

The same reason why Vanek and Stafford didn't leave the bench in the third. Too fancy instead of just letting it rip. See MacArthur's goal. Sure makes a difference when a shot gets through from the point too.

This team has been squeezing the stick for weeks.

By trying to out-think the goaltender...you have pretty much given him the split second a pro keeper needs to

get back in the play.

That's one thing I love about Kaleta...when in doubt throw it on net...you might get a rebound...a muff.....pick up a penalty...get a faceoff in the zone with fresh skates....good things happen.

The Sabres fortune came from just putting the puck on net. So many good things happen by just getting the puck on net.

It's funny that White on WGR this morning was whining about fans yelling "shoot" on the power play when the Sabres won a game by just basically getting the puck to the net. A couple of tip-ins, a goal Vokoun would like to have back are things that happened because the Sabres got the puck to the net.

Without hearing the conversation on WGR, I will say that fans yelling shoot on the powerplay is almost always way over the top. Yes, they need to shoot, but they can't just fire the puck when there's a guy clearly in the shooting lane. The way guys can block shots these days, taking that shot would lead to a break the other way. My personal favorites are the people who will yell shoot when they're behind the net or catching a pass at the point on their backhand.

You want to yell "shoot", fine, but at least pay attention and yell it at a point where it actually makes sense. I've gotten to the point where I'll start yelling out "PASS!" just to irritate these people. It's a blast.

Without hearing the conversation on WGR, I will say that fans yelling shoot on the powerplay is almost always way over the top. Yes, they need to shoot, but they can't just fire the puck when there's a guy clearly in the shooting lane. The way guys can block shots these days, taking that shot would lead to a break the other way. My personal favorites are the people who will yell shoot when they're behind the net or catching a pass at the point on their backhand.

You want to yell "shoot", fine, but at least pay attention and yell it at a point where it actually makes sense. I've gotten to the point where I'll start yelling out "PASS!" just to irritate these people. It's a blast.

I can't remember a 6 week stretch where so many Sabres shots seemed to get blocked high.

I'm not sure if numbers would even bear it out, it just seems like it.

Last night I was yelling shoot everytime Telly got his stick on the puck behind our net.

Archived