LabbatBlue Admits to liking Toronto.....

millbank

Well my heart is all a flutter, Hard line Sabre fan LabattBlue admits to liking Toronto..... i just knew it was just posturing by many of you... you do love us..... makes a person just want to get up from my computer and sing the Maple Leaf Forever....

:lol:

Easy guys, Sabres have a good young team, many good young prospects, a team in decent financial shape where many are in danger. Lets just see what holds for the next 16 games.... There is work to do but the sky is not falling... the picture is not as dark as many make it.

Well my heart is all a flutter, Hard line Sabre fan LabattBlue admits to liking Toronto..... i just knew it was just posturing by many of you... you do love us..... makes a person just want to get up from my computer and sing the Maple Leaf Forever....

Easy guys, Sabres have a good young team, many good young prospects, a team in decent financial shape where many are in danger. Lets just see what holds for the next 16 games.... There is work to do but the sky is not falling... the picture is not as dark as many make it.

I didn't say I liked the Leafs, just the city of Toronto! :nana:

Millbank, with all due respect, I have to paraphrase what Hawerchuk posted in the GDT last night: bullcrap. This team has been sliding backwards since the loss of the captains, missed the playoffs last year and is in danger of missing again this year, and most of us have seen enough of this team over the last two years to seriously doubt that are physically nor mentally tough enough to right the ship and make a run into the postseason this year. Going into next year we are saddled with big contracts for the guys who are crapping the bed on this playoff push - Hecht, Pominville, Tallinder come to mind - and this team will not improve much without some major changes at forward and defense.

Hawerchuk said more than Bullcrap, :lol: or perhaps that was the other poster....

I am glad you do agree regarding the loss of the captains. Usually that is a tong war of a argument on this wall. Absolutely do they have a huge void as a consequence, in my opinion it is the teams problem. Over the past number of years Darcy and Lindy and put together a good nucleus and building blocks from which to compose a very good team for years to come. They have done this with the first mandate of keeping this team economically viable. Like or lump it, it is the foremost issue in terms of the Sabres, else they like easily 8 teams be facing the very real peril of moving or simply closing shop. The last more real these days as there are few economically viable options. Teams next year and the year after when cap is reduced because of either over spending or simply not having the funds to pay players are going to have to make some very hard decisions are some very skilled players.

No doubt these past couple of years have been more than difficult and disappointing. Frankly the team management has had their nuts in a vice , not really able to do a great deal about it in terms of competing with others on a dollar for dollar bases.

I am close to seventy, don't need to hear about how everyone is impatient, I am right with you. It scare the hell out of me the two teams i follow avidly both in my entire lifetime might not ever win.

What I am wanting to say, is step back everyone, lets just see what this coming off season and next bring, there are going to be many changes. I think the Sabres at this time are far better equipped at facing the coming changes than most. Darcy and Lindy have composed a group of good players , good people, young players with much potential, its obvious there a huge leadership void, the Sabres do have assets, I want to give Darcy some credit he will do something to compliment what is here presently and the Sabres be the team we all want.

Its interesting , I asked the question here about two months ago, what do the Sabres need do. Most were on side with staying status quo, that the team was young and improving with many good prospects in minors. Making or not making the playoffs does not change this.

There is not doubt , no chance can they cry poor and do nothing to fill leadership void, lets just see how it plays out, I have confidence in Darcy. Lets just see what we are saying this time next year.

(they do nothing, crickets will be chirping around here, with those who remain very angry and rightly so, no argument they must do make some changes....

( in post not long ago, I advocated trading a Roy, Connolly, the best player in system for a Rick Nash. I say that as he will be free agent in about 15 months and team not being able to pay him. They will make decision on this this summer. Its the sort of thing I would hope Darcy would look at , and be innovative to change this team. Nash it a example , these options are going to be present. Lets see what the Sabres do. I think they have smart people as their management.

(sorry folks for all that, hope it was reasonably coherent. :blush:

Millbank, with all due respect, I have to paraphrase what Hawerchuk posted in the GDT last night: bullcrap. This team has been sliding backwards since the loss of the captains, missed the playoffs last year and is in danger of missing again this year, and most of us have seen enough of this team over the last two years to seriously doubt that are physically nor mentally tough enough to right the ship and make a run into the postseason this year. Going into next year we are saddled with big contracts for the guys who are crapping the bed on this playoff push - Hecht, Pominville, Tallinder come to mind - and this team will not improve much without some major changes at forward and defense.

Every time the Sabres are knocked out of or don't make the playoffs, I immediately start pulling for all of the Canadian teams. Except one. And it's not Toronto, it's Ottawa. If we can't be happy as Sabres fans, I have no problem with millions of Canadians being happy that the Cup is won by a Canadian team. But I never want to see Chris Neil's name etched on it.

no way, you guys are just saying all this to trick me..... :lol:

Every time the Sabres are knocked out of or don't make the playoffs, I immediately start pulling for all of the Canadian teams. Except one. And it's not Toronto, it's Ottawa. If we can't be happy as Sabres fans, I have no problem with millions of Canadians being happy that the Cup is won by a Canadian team. But I never want to see Chris Neil's name etched on it.

no way, you guys are just saying all this to trick me..... :lol:

We can't help but respect a fan base as strong as Toronto's. They're a team well represented at away games (much like Buffalo) and they've been suffering longer than we have for a cup win. You haven't even made the playoffs since the lockout. The last time you won a cup was when the Hawks were good.

We're similar teams. Strong, highly emotional fan bases following teams who tease us with greatness but never quite achieve.

more.... i just know i will wake up and was dreaming this and actually when i open this thread you will all be yelling at me :o

We can't help but respect a fan base as strong as Toronto's. They're a team well represented at away games (much like Buffalo) and they've been suffering longer than we have for a cup win. You haven't even made the playoffs since the lockout. The last time you won a cup was when the Hawks were good.

We're similar teams. Strong, highly emotional fan bases following teams who tease us with greatness but never quite achieve.

more.... i just know i will wake up and was dreaming this and actually when i open this thread you will all be yelling at me :o

Dude, this was all just a dream. Now pretend to hear a loud male voice screaming; "THE LEAFS SUCK!!!!!!!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have to admit to liking that Flyers team. I wish Mike Richards was a Sabre. I don't know how long they can hold that team together but they have put together a good group there. If Briere comes back they should be set for a playoff run.

The common view here in the Philly area is that Briere is somewhat useless and just messes up the lines that have been working, believe it or not.

Seriously though, when was the last time you actually had the chance to root for Toronto in the playoffs?

But since we're saying good stuff about them, I do like their jerseys.

The common view here in the Philly area is that Briere is somewhat useless and just messes up the lines that have been working, believe it or not.

I believe it. They absolutely do not need Danny with the lineup that they have and could use his cap to upgrade other positions (or get under the cap in the future.) His contract will continue to force them to make decisions that hurt the team just to fit him in. If they could trade him away, they could build a serious contender around the rest of their offense. They'll need a new goaltender (and backup) next year. Without Danny, they'd have about $11 million to get those goaltenders, a defenseman or two and some upgrades (assuming Mike Rathje stays on LTIR, or just over $7 million for two goaltenders and a 7th defenseman if he comes off of it.) With Danny, they will have about $5 million for all of those things with Rathje on LTIR or maybe $2 million if he comes off of it. Then, in 2010-11, they will be completely screwed when most of those big contracts will still be on the books and the cap goes down. The only expiring contracts will be on defense forcing them to fill the blueline on the cheap or trade away some of those very good and young forwards.

The cap space alone seems like it would be worthy trying to find someone to claim him off of waivers, as opposed to making some trade. Even the half price if it took re-entry waivers seems like a decent option for them. But then again, do those crazy no movement clauses have any impact on that?

The cap space alone seems like it would be worthy trying to find someone to claim him off of waivers, as opposed to making some trade. Even the half price if it took re-entry waivers seems like a decent option for them. But then again, do those crazy no movement clauses have any impact on that?

You may be right, but he still has $34 million left on his contract. Would the Flyers really eat $17 million?

There is going to be a long list of very good players available this summer because of the economics of the game. This is where a team like Buffalo with some smarts will be able to fill some holes and become very good quickly. Its why I encourage folks to not go jumping of the band wagon so quickly.

Need to keep in mind regarding Danny, all things change quickly with a good playoff run like last year. Got to wonder as much money that is not being used this season, he profited for them last. We in a what have you done for me lately world. Lets just see what playoffs bring. Its not like Danny hit the bars , starting chasing loose women all night long and forsake his hockey career, he has been injured....

You may be right, but he still has $34 million left on his contract. Would the Flyers really eat $17 million?

My roommates are Flyers fans and while they aren't ready to give up on Briere yet, they'd rather see a solid number 1 goalie between the pipes for the money they're shelling out.

In terms of Toronto: I went to the WBC yesterday and got tickets for 5 dollars to see what equated to an all star game, sans pitchers. Gotta love a city, and country, that doesn't care about baseball: it makes being a fan of the blue jays a lot cheaper than being a fan of the yankees.

Archived