GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

Yo, "Mr.Business Man Bm", try and get these lyrics out of your head: :nana: :nana:

Set to the tune of Aerosmith, Janie's Got a Gun.

~Weird Al

Elmo's got a gun

Elmo's got a gun

Big bird's on the run

Ernie's dialin' 911

What made elmo snap,

Was he tired of big birds crap?

They said when Elmo was arrested

They found Oscar headless in the trash

I hear that Gordon's really runnin

Now that elmos got a gun,

The streets never gonna be the same.

Elmo's got a gun

Elmo's got a gun

Grover's head has come undone

Sesame street's not real fun -

*GUNSHOT*

You want me to walk around sesame street without a bulletproof vest?!

Forget about it!

That's actually not Weird Al's song, but it is often misattributed to him.

Yes, I'm that big of a nerd.

I'm disappointed. I expected to hear all the grumblings on how bad they played last night. They only got four goals when they clearly should have had five maybe six. Just plain lazy... No heart... No ability... Soft goals, soft team.... Terrible defense... Come on, where are you guys??? Don't stop now just because they won.... :rolleyes:

weird game - miller's play, a few decisive bursts by our guys and some bad goaltending for the leafs spell a 4-1 victory.

the post script i wanted to add is my emerging perspective on drew stafford's personality - not quite sure what to make of this guy sometimes. first there was the mouse potato line of a while back. then, last night, when talking to the VS. gal about his second goal, he says something like, "i got lucky a little bit, i was just hanging around the net and the puck bounced my way -- y'know, it was one of the first bounces we've gotten all year, so that was nice."

so, first the staff lashes out at the mouse potato masses, now at the hockey gods. sort of strange.

but, whatever. it's not like he's making like rod the bod in his interview immediately after game 7 of the ECF in 2006. not yet, anyway. (and, hey, if he can deliver like brindamour did in 2006, you bet i'll take it.)

Game thoughts...

- I really need to get more sleep as I get older. I dozed off after the first Stafford goal and didn't wake up until the period was over.

- A solid win on the road after two horrendous performances at home last week.

- I see Ellis scored! I guess I was wrong about him not being capable of playing on a scoring line. :lol:

-Stafford's second goal was a thing of beauty.

-Toronto really sucks bad. They may not see the playoffs for the next two seasons after this one.

I don't know if it is because of the hi-def broadcast(which my TV isn't), but did anyone else have a problem where the lines painted in the ice were washed out at times? I noticed this on some of the Vs. broadcasts last season, but can't say I have noticed it this year...but then again I don't watch many of the Vs. games.

I'm disappointed. I expected to hear all the grumblings on how bad they played last night. They only got four goals when they clearly should have had five maybe six. Just plain lazy... No heart... No ability... Soft goals, soft team.... Terrible defense... Come on, where are you guys??? Don't stop now just because they won.... :rolleyes:

If you would like a criticism from last nights game here is one. There was a lot of talk about Lindy wanting this team to be angry about Sunday's game. How did they come out? They spent the first half of the first period in their own end. It took a turnover (caused by a uncalled hook) to get the Sabres going. They took advantage of a weak goalie and Miller played really well to keep the Sabres in the game. If the Leafs would have had their #1 goalie in we would be talking about a 2-1 shootout win or loss.

Philly should be a much larger test for this squad. They find themselves in a great spot largely due to failures of the teams once ahead of them. If this team could somehow muster the will to play every remaining game with desire and intensity they could find themselves hosting a game one in the first round. It will take a much better effort than what they gave last night.

I don't know if it is because of the hi-def broadcast(which my TV isn't), but did anyone else have a problem where the lines painted in the ice were washed out at times? I noticed this on some of the Vs. broadcasts last season, but can't say I have noticed it this year...but then again I don't watch many of the Vs. games.

Yeah, it seemed like the lines were washed out and yellows were exaggerated. Just not a great picture at all, but at least it was an away game in HD.

They find themselves in a great spot largely due to failures of the teams once ahead of them.

Agreed. Points-wise (not play-wise, which has still been inconsistent), they have has a fairly steady pace trending upward (on my net of 93 point pace chart), but they have been outperformed (again, point-wise) by the Panthers, would not have caught the Rangers or Canadiens without those teams taking a nose dive and haven't gained nearly as much separation as the could have against the Pens and Canes. Basically, they have been just OK, while 4 of 5 teams around them have been downright crappy and the remaining team has been only a little above OK. It's going to be tight down the wire, especially if they don't learn how to come out strong (not just against top teams.) Getting Goose back should help, but no Vanek for a long stretch will continue to be a challenge.

Archived