Trade Timmy "The Skill" Now?

Strow

Ok put aside the fact that he is hurt all the time and bank on the fact that Darcy thinks his master plan is finally working having Timmy in as second center or first line center makes the team a playoff team. A few things piss me off (I know miss Thursday's thread). See article

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/571139.html

1. Does he really think we would get anything other than a pick for him right now? And if someone was drunk enough to give up a player does he think that he will be the second center this team clearly needs? Sure 'The Skill' will get hurt again but when he is in the team is better. So trading him will kill the playoff push the team is on right now. Hecht back at center isn't the fix we all know that.

2. He thinks 'The Skill' will walk at the end of the season. Darcy has him pegged for a new 4 year deal Im sure he does :thumbsup:

3. I lost steam......

Ok put aside the fact that he is hurt all the time and bank on the fact that Darcy thinks his master plan is finally working having Timmy in as second center or first line center makes the team a playoff team. A few things piss me off (I know miss Thursday's thread). See article

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/571139.html

1. Does he really think we would get anything other than a pick for him right now? And if someone was drunk enough to give up a player does he think that he will be the second center this team clearly needs? Sure 'The Skill' will get hurt again but when he is in the team is better. So trading him will kill the playoff push the team is on right now. Hecht back at center isn't the fix we all know that.

2. He thinks 'The Skill' will walk at the end of the season. Darcy has him pegged for a new 4 year deal Im sure he does :thumbsup:

3. I lost steam......

No way he gets a 4 year deal from anyone. More then likely he signs a one year deal with hopes of hitting it big the next year. Hopefully he feels obligated to play for the Sabres for that one year at about $1.5 million but I wouldn't count on it.

No way he gets a 4 year deal from anyone. More then likely he signs a one year deal with hopes of hitting it big the next year. Hopefully he feels obligated to play for the Sabres for that one year at about $1.5 million but I wouldn't count on it.

That's my thinking, too. While he might give up a bit of guaranteed money in the short run, if he takes a one-year deal and stays healthy, he'd get a huge payday at the end of it. 42 straight, plus any playoff games would help his cause, but not nearly as much as a 75+ game season next year. I still hope that if they do give him the cheap deal (they better not give him anything else), they also bring in another player that can cover that position. Even if it leaves us with two true #2's (as opposed to a #2 and #1) if/when Timmy is injured, that's better than having just a #3 (Hecht.)

I think they only trade him if the Sabres start to fall apart (still a distinct possibility -- don't kid yourself) and are out of it at the deadline.

As for whether the Sabres re-sign him -- if he stays healthy until the end of the season, I can see them giving him 2 years x $2MM per year.

I think they only trade him if the Sabres start to fall apart (still a distinct possibility -- don't kid yourself) and are out of it at the deadline.

As for whether the Sabres re-sign him -- if he stays healthy until the end of the season, I can see them giving him 2 years x $2MM per year.

Agreed. I hope they keep him.

I don't think that we'd get a center back. However, if we got a decent defenseman back and, in another separate trade, used Tallinder or Spacek with picks/prospects to pick up another center, I might think about it. I don't think that it would happen, but if Connolly went to Phoenix in a deal for Derek Morris (big, physical, right-handed defenseman) and then we packaged something together for Doug Weight or ... (fill in decent center on rumor block), would you at least think about it? I would.

I don't think that we'd get a center back. However, if we got a decent defenseman back and, in another separate trade, used Tallinder or Spacek with picks/prospects to pick up another center, I might think about it. I don't think that it would happen, but if Connolly went to Phoenix in a deal for Derek Morris (big, physical, right-handed defenseman) and then we packaged something together for Doug Weight or ... (fill in decent center on rumor block), would you at least think about it? I would.

I would. Just don't see that happening and If I may add another center we know would stay around more than just the end of that season. Morris great-Doug Weight not so much but I get your idea.

Well, depending on whether he makes it through the rest of this season and whether his time on IR in training camp counts towards 100 days of IR, Timmy may qualify for one of those IR exceptions to the "No Performance Bonuses" clause in the CBA.

If so, then I could definitely see him taking say a $2MM contract w/ some serious escalators if he's healthy and productive. I'd expect he'd rather see if someone will give him that LT deal for $4MM+ per; but if that isn't there, his history is exactly why that clause was put in the CBA (provided he's officially on IR the requisite 100 days; knowing his luck he'll end up at 98).

They'd better extend him at that before the end of the year or he'll walk. He'll get more than that if he makes it through the end of the year.

They'd better extend him at that before the end of the year or he'll walk. He'll get more than that if he makes it through the end of the year.

You may be right -- certainly I wouldn't be shocked if someone gave him $3MM x 3 years. It only takes one bozo. But I think it's more likely that nobody offers him a 3-year deal, and no one offers him more than $5MM total for the contract. I've heard and read the 250-games-missed-in-the-last-5-years stat (more than anyone else in the NHL) a bunch of times in the last couple of weeks. I think this stuff makes its way around the NHL pretty quick, and that GMs -- especially now that everyone has been burned by one or more post-lockout contracts -- are getting increasingly cautious about wasting cash and/or cap space.

I also think that a lot of teams are going to look at Briere, Drury and McKee and shy away from overpaying for UFAs from the Sabres.

I would. Just don't see that happening and If I may add another center we know would stay around more than just the end of that season. Morris great-Doug Weight not so much but I get your idea.

That would be ideal. I have mentioned before that Atlanta may be willing to trade away Todd White, who has two more years at $2.5 million per. Maybe he's not the right guy (he's another smaller finesse center), but something more like that would be more to your liking. I would tend to agree.

Well, depending on whether he makes it through the rest of this season and whether his time on IR in training camp counts towards 100 days of IR, Timmy may qualify for one of those IR exceptions to the "No Performance Bonuses" clause in the CBA.

I don't know if the training camp IR time counts (I wouldn't think so, but who knows), but I believe that when I ran rough numbers, he was only at about 78 days (and that was assuming that the whole time that he hasn't play this season, he's been on IR, which I'm not sure is true) without pre-season time. So, even with pre-season, he'd still have to get injured again and stay out for a couple of weeks in order to qualify, which would likely end any chance that they'd re-sign him.

You may be right -- certainly I wouldn't be shocked if someone gave him $3MM x 3 years. It only takes one bozo. But I think it's more likely that nobody offers him a 3-year deal, and no one offers him more than $5MM total for the contract. I've heard and read the 250-games-missed-in-the-last-5-years stat (more than anyone else in the NHL) a bunch of times in the last couple of weeks. I think this stuff makes its way around the NHL pretty quick, and that GMs -- especially now that everyone has been burned by one or more post-lockout contracts -- are getting increasingly cautious about wasting cash and/or cap space.

I also think that a lot of teams are going to look at Briere, Drury and McKee and shy away from overpaying for UFAs from the Sabres.

That's a great point, although the Rags seem slow to learn with Kalinin making $2.1M this year...

I sat that you have to ride this guy out. Play him and the pay him something along the 1-2 years 15-2 million per yera if he takes it. Not that he owes the Sabres anything technically but Dr has stuck by him and you'd expect him to want to "prove" his worth. But then again who the hell knows.

If the Sabres bring Connolly back it will be as the answer to their problems at center. They won't be signing Connolly and then go out to get a #2 center in free agency or trade. Is everyone willing to sign up for that. For all these posters who say Timmy has to be back and the Sabres should sign him I have to ask, are you willing to risk the 2009-10 season on a healthy Tim Connolly?

If the Sabres bring Connolly back it will be as the answer to their problems at center. They won't be signing Connolly and then go out to get a #2 center in free agency or trade. Is everyone willing to sign up for that. For all these posters who say Timmy has to be back and the Sabres should sign him I have to ask, are you willing to risk the 2009-10 season on a healthy Tim Connolly?

The answer to that question..is no.

Hecht can play center if Timmy goes down...

I'm kidding

But seriously, Gerbe can come up and play center....

oh wait......

Well, I guess we're screwed, because if Timmy goes, we all know he's going to the ALL-Star game next year and will probably lead the league in goals/assists. If he stays, we may get 12 games out of him. Wouldn't want to be Darcy this off-season, that's for sure.

I fear you are correct, but it may not be the case. While I can see them re-signing him IF he stays healthy through the end of the year, I can't see them giving him more than $2MM x 2 years. At that number, depending on what happens elsewhere in the roster (e.g. the $6MM we're now spending on Spacek and Tallinder), we could still have the cash to get another good center.

Interesting comments by Darcy about Timmy on GR. Well it looks like they'll know what they are going to do before the deadline. Unless I misheard, sounds like they are going to see where Timmy's side is before then and make a decision based on that.

Sounds like Darcy has some plan in mind.

He may be done mishandling FA's and the like.

TC is a tough case.

The commitment he made him with the three year deal did not play out well.

Although you could make the argument that 'the Skill' may have saved this season so far.

TC being on the roster is definitely a good thing, injuries and all.

The Skill. 'Nuff said!

Gotta keep him.

What??? Why in the world would Tim Connelly even consider that? He's one of the best players in the league and someone will surely take a chance on him. If someone was willing to give Jay McKee $4million a year there will be a few teams will to take a real chance on Timmy, and I'm talking $5 to 6 million. Not saying its right, but someone will do it

Sabres have to open negotionations with him right now and if he won't sign a contract, I'd listen to trade offers. If the right one comes along I'd pull the trigger. Otherwise, play it out and see how far we go with him this year. This business sucks sometimes but you have to do what's best for the organization.

Use him in a deal for Bouwmeester

As nice as he ahs been since coming back, you always have to ask yourself when reffering to him, "How long is this going to last? How many more games will he actually stay healthy for?" He could have all the talent in the world, but it is not worth it if every season he is spending 1/3 to 1/2 of it on IR.

And Deluca is right, if they re-sign him, he will be the signing of a #2 centre. There is no way he will sign at anything less then what he is currently playing for, he will want a big raise after his current performances. The Sabres kept re-signing Teppo to a slightly higher contract every season, why would they turn around and pay Timmy less? (Even though Timmy should still owe them around 1 - 1.5 seasons on that last contract he signed)

Archived