Trade Timmy "The Skill" Now?

Strow

I like the way Tim plays hockey..I think he has developed into a good defensive center and his offensive skills are obvious..He is exactly the type of center the Sabres have been lacking for 2 years..With that said you cant resign him with the intention of him being a full time player..If you cant get him for less than 2.5 you have to move on and replace him him at the salary slotted for his type of player at the position.The position needs to be filled however..Even if they sign him they need the position to be filled..Injuries are a part of the game its just with Tim they have become the norm...

Looking at what old Sundin got I'd say Connolly will get paid by someone.

Call me crazy or whatever, but I hope Darcy shows Timmy the money. I understand its a huge gamble but I personally would do it. Great players like that do not grow on trees. For those that say I'm ignoring his injury history, you have a great point. He may never play a full season. Or maybe his bad luck is over.

Show Timmy the money!

Sundin, who never played less than 70 games (usually more than 75 and quite often over 80) in 17 seasons*? Sundin, who consistently put up close to or above a point-per-game in nearly all of those seasons, including over in each of the last three on a bad Toronto team? Sundin, who is 6'5", 231 lbs? Sundin, who is consistently at 55% on faceoffs? Sundin, who arguably has great leadership abilities? Yeah, I'm not surprised that he got that money for a one-year deal, even at 37 years old. Completely different situation.

You can't call Timmy a great player yet when he's played less than half the games in his contract. He is useless when injured. He may have great skill and great potential, but just as you must assume that he can keep up his production in assuming he has value, you also must assume that he will continue missing games (or, at least that there's a high chance of that.) They counted on Timmy as one of only two centers last year and it killed them. They counted on Timmy as one of only two centers this year and it nearly killed them. Still might. We're beyond the "fool me twice, shame on me stage" if we sign him for big money now.

* Well not 1994-95, but that was the half-season lockout and he played 47 games.

Archived