[OT] Chicken Wings

Foligno's Nose

So we don't disrupt the the GDT anymore...

Wings!

(not Paul McCartney's)

Good discussion started already on tonight's GDT.

My choices are (in no particular order, and subject to change)

1. Gabriel's Gate

2. Bar-Bill (East Aurora)

3. Opener's (Elma)

4. Buffalo Wild Wings

5. Buffalo Sports Garden

6. The Big Tree

7. LaNova's (BBQ)

8. The old M & E Lounge in NT (has new name now - great breaded wing-dings)

9. Duff's

10. Carbone's on South Park.

If I had to take someone from out-of-town, a first-timer it would be Gabriel's Gate.

It's Pierre McGuire's choice.

I used to be a big wing fan. We lived near Duffs about ten years ago and would get Duffs' wings probably once a month. I got some nasty orders from them, and I noticed that on average their wings are not only exceptionally "greasy" but too many wings per batch feature broken bones which means the marrow has seeped out into the meat while frying. Yuck. Duffs wings turned me off to wings for quite some time.

I like, or did like at least, Anchor Bar wings above most others. Back when Dodo Green was there on weekends we'd visit time and again. Had our wedding rehearsal party there.

La Nova's wings are good. I actually liked Casa di Pizza's wings when I worked downtown many years ago.

You're killing your credibility by putting Buffalo Wild Wings on that list, though.

They are a great change-of-pace stop.

All of my visits there for wings were never disappointing.

They are not jumbo-sized.

They have a wide variety of sauces, and the hots are good.

Used to go on the nights when they had a 30 cent-per-wing scam going on. I think it was Tuesdays.

Cheap, tasty, and variety.

It was never the disapointment that my most recent trips to the Anchor were.

I also included a change-of-pace non-traditional wing-ding place at the old M & E.

So my credibility should also take a hit for these as well.

I'll agree that BWW is definitely not in the same division as the Gate or Duff's.

Used to go on the nights when they had a 30 cent-per-wing scam going on. I think it was Tuesdays.

I also included a change-of-pace non-traditional wing-ding place at the old M & E.

I'll agree that BWW is definitely not in the same division as the Gate or Duff's.

I agree that a good BWW is usually a pretty good substitute when there are no good chicken wing places around, but in my experience BWW as a whole is very inconsistent, from visit to visit and location to location. You'll get great wings one time and awful wings the next. Or one location is great and the next one is terrible. I do like their sauces, though.

Their entire menu is getting VERY expensive, though. The 30-cent Wing Tuesday is now 45 cents/wing, and the boneless Thursday went from 40 cents when it started to 60 cents now. 50 wings there is almost $33. Pretty pricey.

Wow 45 cents

Jeepers!

I havent partaken in a while but would frequent the Elmwood location almost exclusively.

It has been a while (five years).

Surprisingly there isn't much in my neck of the woods (Cleveland area) in terms of good wings, so we have frequented the nearby BWW quite regularly. We've gotten pretty tired of how quickly their prices have climbed across the board.

BWW gets these three points from me:

(1) When I was at a wedding in Obscure, AZ during Game 1 of the Sabres-Sens series in '06, there was a BWW there. It took some convincing to get the bar to put the game on the big screen, but by the time the Sabres won in OT, all of the wedding and half of that town (the bar easily could fit half of the town in it) understood hockey and were pro-tem Sabres fans.

(2) I love that trivia game they have.

(3) The location on Elmwood really has some friendly staff.

But those scrawny, soggy wings just can't be helped by any amount of any kind of sauce.

I've probably seen you at the Gate a few times without knowing it; that's where I go when I've got the wing jones, and it's equidistant between home and work. I'm getting fatter.

We come up every Christmas and there are only 3 definites involved in my trip (other than seeing my daughter, of course)

1. Timmy Horton's (I bring a tin of it back as well)

2. Mighty

3. La Nova's

We've recently been ordering from John's a lot more as well. They're in Tonawanda on Delaware, and I think they have a spot on Niagara Falls Blvd. as well. They have a great Chicken Finger Sub and my daughter will only eat wings from there and La Nova's.

Throw in Ted's Hot Dogs and Santora's once in a while, too.

I prefer to make my own wings. Over the years I have developed a pretty tasty wing sauce. The challenge is finding good quality wings. Most brands of frozen wings tend to be on the smaller side. If you love wings make the investment into a good fryer and make your own. It's much cheaper in the long run.

Surprisingly there isn't much in my neck of the woods (Cleveland area) in terms of good wings, so we have frequented the nearby BWW quite regularly. We've gotten pretty tired of how quickly their prices have climbed across the board.

Back in the day (late 80's), the only place in the Cleveland area for wings period was the Ground Round, literally.

I have a hard time finding wings I don't like around here. All of these places make a quality wing, and this is just the places I've been to in the last few years:

Mark's (duh)

Pizza Chef

Pontillo's

Sports Page

Shorts

Fairport Village Inn

Buffalo Wild Wings

Donnelly's

The only places I can think of where they suck would be national chains like Friday's and Applebees.

I have a hard time finding wings I don't like around here. All of these places make a quality wing, and this is just the places I've been to in the last few years:

Mark's (duh)

Pizza Chef

Pontillo's

Sports Page

Shorts

Fairport Village Inn

Buffalo Wild Wings

Donnelly's

The only places I can think of where they suck would be national chains like Friday's and Applebees.

I love Pontillo's. It's a mandatory stop when we are in town to visit the in-laws.

I can't let this thread die without mentioning the great wings (and brewskis!) at the Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just west of Transit Rd.

Great atmosphere, big wings, terrific sauce and nice staff, too. Every trip back home starts there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back in the day (late 80's), the only place in the Cleveland area for wings period was the Ground Round, literally.

I've heard that. It hasn't improved much - there are a couple mom-and-pop local pizzerias that make decent (not exceptional) wings and of course, BWW, but not a lot of places that offer anything resembling a good wing.

Some local pizza places sell ribs as a side, some sell fried chicken. Really makes me scratch my head.

I prefer to make my own wings. Over the years I have developed a pretty tasty wing sauce. The challenge is finding good quality wings. Most brands of frozen wings tend to be on the smaller side. If you love wings make the investment into a good fryer and make your own. It's much cheaper in the long run.

I do remember having a conversation with a bartender who also had his own business selling wings to restaurants.

I recall there was three grades of wings based on their size:

1. Jumbo

2. ??? (medium/ regular)

3. Banquet/ party (small)

You usually have three choices. Small, medium, and large. They are sold by the number of wings per pound. For example, 14-16 wings per pound would be considered a small wing. Not a lot of meat here. Great for appetizers, parties, or if you like, a meal that you can price inexpensively.

Next, you may have a medium size wing that would be a 10-12 count per pound. Probably the most popular. Meaty, nice size, and filling.

And finally, the jumbo wing, usually a 8-10 count. Some people call them a roaster wing. This my friends is a tasty, meaty, and a filling meal.

- from http://www.nightclubpros.com/cookingchickenwings.html

You know the Jumbos when you get them.

It may be the venue that takes pride in serving only Jumbos (visit the Bar-Bill).

So, there has to be a way to purchase the Jumbos from a restaurant supplier or Will Poultry or someone.

Great idea making your own.

My sister and brother-in-law make their own chicken fingers (frozen from BJ's) and they are high quality.

We come up every Christmas and there are only 3 definites involved in my trip (other than seeing my daughter, of course)

2. Mighty

3. La Nova's

We've recently been ordering from John's a lot more as well. They're in Tonawanda on Delaware, and I think they have a spot on Niagara Falls Blvd. as well. They have a great Chicken Finger Sub and my daughter will only eat wings from there and La Nova's.

I'm suprised that they haven't opened some TH donut franchises down there yet. Especially with all the WNY/ Ontario transplants and snowbirds.

Aside from the overpriced coffee (which is great - had a pretty expensive addiction to Cafe Mochas for a while), the restthey have to offer is crap.

Baked goods are sub-marginal and everything else is too much ($$$).

Famous donuts are great and meaty like the old 'Freddies'.

Anything at Eileens Centerview Bakery in West Seneca is Fantastic.

Mighty Taco is the best for quick take-out.

Ted's fills the bill for a char-broiled dog when all the Mom & Pop's are closed in the winter.

Louie's canoes are what I would go for upon a return back home. Six for five. Testify!

We definitely have it made here for cuisine and there is money to be made exporting it and/ or introducing to new markets. (See BWW).

So we don't disrupt the the GDT anymore...

Wings!

My choices are (in no particular order, and subject to change)

1. Gabriel's Gate

2. Bar-Bill (East Aurora)

3. Opener's (Elma)

4. Buffalo Wild Wings

5. Buffalo Sports Garden

6. The Big Tree

7. LaNova's (BBQ)

8. The old M & E Lounge in NT (has new name now - great breaded wing-dings)

9. Duff's

10. Carbone's on South Park.

If I had to take someone from out-of-town, a first-timer it would be Gabriel's Gate.

It's Pierre McGuire's choice.

Been to all the ones bolded, will have to check out Gabriels gate next time in town visiting family.. Bar Bill used to have a great .10 cent wing night back in the day when I was dating a girl from east aurora.. Great place to go on cheap date back then. Had been going to Big tree after our annual Bills game tailgates to close the night previous 3 years but we missed that one this year...But I did get the wings fix this last trip at La Belle sicilia (genesee st in cheektowaga) which I will give an honorable mention for Bflo wings, it's close to the brothers I stay at.

2. Mighty

3. La Nova's

You might want to check out the La Nova web site, we have for special occasion ordered and had the overnight shipped bflo wings/pizza special they used to have. Wings come pre-cooked and all you need to do is thow em in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes and just like home.. :thumbsup:. Also love the Teds and Santora's but then we have too mention John and Mary's A Bomb and the Beef on weck you used to be able to get at a bar( i can't remember the name) on Bailey and East Lovejoy.... Thats right up there with the Louies sh!t canoes Foligno mentions.

Mark's (duh)

Pizza Chef

Pontillo's

Sports Page

Shorts

Fairport Village Inn

Buffalo Wild Wings

Donnelly's

Had both when I worked in Ra Cha Cha for the year at Xerox, actually liked the Fairport Village Inn to watch a couple of hockey games while I was there, good beer and wings.

I can't let this thread die without mentioning the great wings (and brewskis!) at the Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just west of Transit Rd.

Great atmosphere, big wings, terrific sauce and nice staff, too. Every trip back home starts there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I made sure I got my mug (#119 with my name engraved on it) from the mug club before I left in 92. Used to work right on maple rd. 5 minutes from there before I moved. Loved the peanuts.

Man I can believe so many great food memories.. indeed... I guess 30 years of growing up in Buffalo is not easily forgotten or removed.. :rolleyes:

Buffalo Brothers. Best place in Texas for wings, beef on weck, Friday fish fry, Genny Creme, loganberry drink AND birch beer. Heck, they even had Bison Brand French Onion chip dip when the Bills played on Monday night this past season.

(Buffalo Wild Wings, on the other hand, have no right to use the words "Buffalo" or "Wings" in their name. :death: )

Mark's (duh)

Pizza Chef

Pontillo's

Sports Page

Shorts

Fairport Village Inn

Buffalo Wild Wings

Donnelly's

They closed.

Best wings in Rochester, is Jeremiahs Tavern on Monroe Ave.

http://www.jeremiahstavern.com/index.html

Archived