[OT] Chicken Wings

Foligno's Nose

We come up every Christmas and there are only 3 definites involved in my trip (other than seeing my daughter, of course)

1. Timmy Horton's (I bring a tin of it back as well)

2. Mighty

3. La Nova's

We've recently been ordering from John's a lot more as well. They're in Tonawanda on Delaware, and I think they have a spot on Niagara Falls Blvd. as well. They have a great Chicken Finger Sub and my daughter will only eat wings from there and La Nova's.

Throw in Ted's Hot Dogs and Santora's once in a while, too.

I am dying for the day they open a Chipotle's in Buffalo...it puts Mighty Taco to shame...Chipotle's is so good, its like crack...whenever we drive thru Ohio, the first thing we do is find a Chipotle's on route so we can stock up for the week...

The closest things in the area I have found to Chipotle's are Salsarita's on Union and Moe's Southwestern Grill on Transit(think they have opened another one somewhere). They are both good, but not as good as Chipotle...

I am still peeved about the closing of the best Mexican restaurant ever in this area...El Caporal on Union near the Galleria---that place was just amazing. I have tried virtually every other Mexican restaurant in the area and have been disappointed in all of them except El Palenque on NF Blvd near Eggert...please don't anyone ask if I have gone to Gramma Mora's on Hertel either---that might be the worst Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at...I HIGHLY recommend not wasting your money or your time...

I am still peeved about the closing of the best Mexican restaurant ever in this area...El Caporal on Union near the Galleria---that place was just amazing. I have tried virtually every other Mexican restaurant in the area and have been disappointed in all of them except El Palenque on NF Blvd near Eggert...

Is El Palenque any GOOD, though? I lived in Austin for three years, nothing out here comes close to even mediocre fast-food Mexican down there. I wish there were a Taco Cabana near by...

Speaking of, why aren't there any Sonics around here? I've seriously contemplated opening a Sonic myself since no one else around here has the brains to do it.

But, the real reason I poked my nose in this thread again is to note that, in the past, I have enjoyed John and Mary's wings, Sunny's in Lockport (are they still around?), and what's the place by the golf course in Lockport...

Speaking of Lockport, is the Pontillo's mentioned in this thread the Lockport Pontillo's?

I am dying for the day they open a Chipotle's in Buffalo...it puts Mighty Taco to shame...Chipotle's is so good, its like crack...whenever we drive thru Ohio, the first thing we do is find a Chipotle's on route so we can stock up for the week...

The closest things in the area I have found to Chipotle's are Salsarita's on Union and Moe's Southwestern Grill on Transit(think they have opened another one somewhere). They are both good, but not as good as Chipotle...

I am still peeved about the closing of the best Mexican restaurant ever in this area...El Caporal on Union near the Galleria---that place was just amazing. I have tried virtually every other Mexican restaurant in the area and have been disappointed in all of them except El Palenque on NF Blvd near Eggert...please don't anyone ask if I have gone to Gramma Mora's on Hertel either---that might be the worst Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at...I HIGHLY recommend not wasting your money or your time...

We have a Chipotle's here in Fl. We also have a Moe's. They're both pretty good, but they aren't Mighty Taco. I'm not saying Mighty tastes better necessarily, but dude, it's Mighty........

I can't let this thread die without mentioning the great wings (and brewskis!) at the Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just west of Transit Rd.

Great atmosphere, big wings, terrific sauce and nice staff, too. Every trip back home starts there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Love that place. I stop every time I roll into town.

I'm partial to wings at Otto's on Union and George Urban in Cheektowaga. Nice little corner bar/restaurant with really good wings... they also have a very good Friday fish fry.

My must haves when I'm back in Buffalo:

1. Wings, wings and more wings - can't find a decent wing in the S. Jersey/Philly area to save my life.

2. Friday Fish Fry - no sign of beer battered haddock anywhere to be found.

3. Salens hot dogs to bring back home - not a better dog anywhere in the country.

Of course, a good beef on weck and a John and Mary's italian sausage sub are things I enjoy about Buffalo that you just can't get anywhere else either.

Time for lunch... I'm making myself hungry. :D

I'm partial to wings at Otto's on Union and George Urban in Cheektowaga. Nice little corner bar/restaurant with really good wings... they also have a very good Friday fish fry.

My must haves when I'm back in Buffalo:

1. Wings, wings and more wings - can't find a decent wing in the S. Jersey/Philly area to save my life.

2. Friday Fish Fry - no sign of beer battered haddock anywhere to be found.

3. Salens hot dogs to bring back home - not a better dog anywhere in the country.

Of course, a good beef on weck and a John and Mary's italian sausage sub are things I enjoy about Buffalo that you just can't get anywhere else either.

Time for lunch... I'm making myself hungry. :D

Agree completely with all of the above, but best wings in Buffalo are Gabriels Gate - great wings, great atmoshere, excellent selection of beers on tap. I used to be a fan of Anchor Bar and Duff's back in the day, but Anchor Bar is a tourist trap now, and Duff's is inconsistent, but still better than anything in Maryland. After that, probably LaNova, although it is their pizza that really rocks.

So we don't disrupt the the GDT anymore...

Wings!

(not Paul McCartney's)

Good discussion started already on tonight's GDT.

My choices are (in no particular order, and subject to change)

1. Gabriel's Gate

2. Bar-Bill (East Aurora)

3. Opener's (Elma)

4. Buffalo Wild Wings

5. Buffalo Sports Garden

6. The Big Tree

7. LaNova's (BBQ)

8. The old M & E Lounge in NT (has new name now - great breaded wing-dings)

9. Duff's

10. Carbone's on South Park.

If I had to take someone from out-of-town, a first-timer it would be Gabriel's Gate.

It's Pierre McGuire's choice.

And they have an *awesome* Beef on Weck. Abso-freaking-lutly amazing.... but they only take cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a mention of the Boston Hotel which burned down Wednesday night.

Home of cheap-ass steaks, dainties, wings & clams.

Spent some real nice evenings there with the regulars who were always welcoming and friendly.

"A little dice to break the ice"

A lot of fun.

Wished I would have made a recent visit. It has been years since I stopped.

RIP.

I prefer to make my own wings. Over the years I have developed a pretty tasty wing sauce. The challenge is finding good quality wings. Most brands of frozen wings tend to be on the smaller side. If you love wings make the investment into a good fryer and make your own. It's much cheaper in the long run.

Ra-cha-cha Wegmans typically sell Peco Farms wings. You get about 30 in a 4 lb bag, and they aren't freezer burned. I've had as few as 24 in a 4 lb bag and ~44 once. But typically I get 30-36 per 4 lbs. That tends to be the brand I prefer lately. You can probably find them in the Buff-lo Wegmans as well.

And as long as your base is butter and Frank's, you have to be borderline retarded to screw them up. I add about 6 other sauces and powders to mine and can make them from a Buffalonian's mild (a normal person's medium) up to truly suicidal w/ no hugely significant change in the flavor depending upon how much of each I add.

Ra-cha-cha Wegmans typically sell Peco Farms wings. You get about 30 in a 4 lb bag, and they aren't freezer burned. I've had as few as 24 in a 4 lb bag and ~44 once. But typically I get 30-36 per 4 lbs. That tends to be the brand I prefer lately. You can probably find them in the Buff-lo Wegmans as well.

And as long as your base is butter and Frank's, you have to be borderline retarded to screw them up. I add about 6 other sauces and powders to mine and can make them from a Buffalonian's mild (a normal person's medium) up to truly suicidal w/ no hugely significant change in the flavor depending upon how much of each I add.

Ok, we're all coming over tonight for dinner... :thumbsup:

Archived