"Sweet Caroline"?? Come on Buffalo

Claude Balls

For a serious suggestion - in keeping with the "sing-a-long" theme - they could play the Goo Goo Dolls version of "Give a Little Bit". It is a famous song, albiet not as geeky as Sweet Caroline", and playing the Goos version gives it a little hometown flavor...

That is my suggestion and I'm sticking to it.

What's a while now? They didn't play at the Preds game last year when I was there and the Sabres won 6-0. And not that I feel the need to answer, but the Sabres haven't won too often at home lately so last night was the first time I heard it a few weeks. Is that okay with you? :worthy:

2005-2006...and even before that I believe

That team needs some guts and some real hockey players who have some balls and can drop the gloves......that rules out Peters because his skills are limited and all he does when he "fights" is that stupid dance before he gets wrestled to the ice.

I said in the Game Day Thread that there are three guys on this team (other than Peters) who would drop them: Gaustad, Mair and Rivet. Two of those were out injured and the third, Mair, really isn't in Gauthier's weight-class. He also looked like his tank was empty last night (maybe wasn't used to the 15:43 that Lindy played him on Friday.)

There are a few others guys that would do it at the time of the hit (see, for example, Stafford when Neil hit Drury), but aren't the type to take someone of decent size on in a real fight.

2005-2006...and even before that I believe

After extensive research (Wikipedia :)) it seems the Rangers started this phenomenon in the NHL in 05-06. So I don't think the Sabres were doing it before then. Could Wikipedia be wrong? Nah.

"Ooh, ahhh, Sabres on the warpath" would be a good chant with victory imminent. But in these days of political correctness, it would have to be done by the fans without prompting by the team. Lest the Sabres be boycotted for being anti-Native American.

Montreal had Metallica rockin' there arena!! I was like WTF! why can't we have sweet music like that??

And that cha-cha song.....fuuuck me man....It's high school all over again!

I was about to say "you don't even know", then I remembered that you do know. :lol: cha cha slide and get low. did they play any other songs?

After extensive research (Wikipedia :)) it seems the Rangers started this phenomenon in the NHL in 05-06. So I don't think the Sabres were doing it before then. Could Wikipedia be wrong? Nah.

"Ooh, ahhh, Sabres on the warpath" would be a good chant with victory imminent. But in these days of political correctness, it would have to be done by the fans without prompting by the team. Lest the Sabres be boycotted for being anti-Native American.

But the "warpath" deal definitely is not original; it was a Habs chant before it was a Sabres chant, no?

(And since NYCers think they invented air and water, I'm not buying the wiki article, either.)

But the "warpath" deal definitely is not original; it was a Habs chant before it was a Sabres chant, no?

(And since NYCers think they invented air and water, I'm not buying the wiki article, either.)

I think I read it was also a Habs chant in the 70s. I wonder if 1, 2, 3, we want 4 is a Buffalo original? Probably not eh?

For a serious suggestion - in keeping with the "sing-a-long" theme - they could play the Goo Goo Dolls version of "Give a Little Bit". It is a famous song, albiet not as geeky as Sweet Caroline", and playing the Goos version gives it a little hometown flavor...

That is my suggestion and I'm sticking to it.

You know, they should play something from the home town band. After the last few seasons though, maybe they should play "Slide" by the Dolls. Or they could go a little heavy and play "Wrecking Crew" by Buffalo's Overkill before the game.

Well I'm kind of partial to the way HNinC does it's background music which is rock and roll or heavy metal base. That also happens to one of my favorite genre's, so I would suggest something classic in the Van Halen vintage of say;

"And the cradle will rock" or "Everybody wants some" or maybe my Favorite choice for this point in the game "I can't drive 55"

also as another alternative and in tribute to my days in Buffalo I remember a Canadian rocker band that came through allot by the name of "Kim Mitchell" and also like this one "Go for a Soda".

also as another alternative and in tribute to my days in Buffalo I remember a Canadian rocker band that came through allot by the name of "Kim Mitchell" and also like this one "Go for a Soda".

They could play another great song by Kim Mitchell "All We Are". That would seem to fit this team, all they are is all they are. Ya know, it is what it is.

On a side note, I saw Kim Mitchell at Silver Stadium waaay back when Van Halen was on their first tour with Hagar. BTO was also there for that show.

the real problem with sweet Caroline is that it not only sucks now, it sucked when it was released 35 years ago. Neil diamond? cmon, you know that crap gave you douchechills when you were a kid, why on earth would anyone pretend they like it now? i mean, unless they were my mom... please spare us the "it sucks so bad it's GOOD" sing-a-longs.

If we're just going to pick out meaningless sing-along songs that have nothing to do with hockey, I would suggest Lola by the Kinks, except that it's about a guy getting it on with another dude. I guess we don't need to be known for that. Although i think that is a great idea for the Leafs.

• 2 weeks later...

braaiinnzzzz....

sorry for the necro post, but I heard this today while listening to my Pantera library and it made me think of this thread.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amO4MLJtJo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amO4MLJtJo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

braaiinnzzzz....

sorry for the necro post, but I heard this today while listening to my Pantera library and it made me think of this thread.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amO4MLJtJo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amO4MLJtJo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That song I can take, but last game I almost choked on my beer when during a break they played that stupid Boyfriend song by Average Lavigne. :thumbdown:

That song I can take, but last game I almost choked on my beer when during a break they played that stupid Boyfriend song by Average Lavigne. :thumbdown:

ughhhhh

that and "I kissed a girl and I liked it". Yeah, it's a catchy tune, fine. But it's not a hockey game song.

the real problem with sweet Caroline is that it not only sucks now, it sucked when it was released 35 years ago. Neil diamond? cmon, you know that crap gave you douchechills when you were a kid, why on earth would anyone pretend they like it now? i mean, unless they were my mom... please spare us the "it sucks so bad it's GOOD" sing-a-longs.

If we're just going to pick out meaningless sing-along songs that have nothing to do with hockey, I would suggest Lola by the Kinks, except that it's about a guy getting it on with another dude. I guess we don't need to be known for that. Although i think that is a great idea for the Leafs.

Booooo!!!

braaiinnzzzz....

OK. I couldn't listen to the whole Pantera thing on Youtube, but I hope we all realize that the cup (lowercase) erroneously awarded to Dallas was celebrated in part by that band.

OK. I couldn't listen to the whole Pantera thing on Youtube, but I hope we all realize that the cup (lowercase) erroneously awarded to Dallas was celebrated in part by that band.

So am I not supposed to like bands that are from cities where teams exist that I hate? I'm so confused...

Archived