Slightly OT - Avery's big mouth gets him in big trouble

carpandean

I'd love to watch Phaneuf pound Avery.

Yeah, who would have figured that a multi-million dollar corporation frowns on its employees making juvenile sex jokes in the media? It's not like the NHL is concerned about its image or anything.... :doh:

Seriously, he makes one stupid comment that is true, she has become quite the hockey , and he is getting suspended? I don't know of many places where I could be leaving work and make a comment like that and face losing my job over it, or even be disiplined much more then a slap on the wrist

It wasn't just that. It was completely classless. He could have easily just have said, "...my-exgirlfriend".

But he wasn't just refering to Cuthbert though, He has a couple other ex's that have moved on to other NHLers.

Its making something out of nothing. Had this been someone on the Sabres, or someone without a rap sheet of antics, there wouldn't even be a fine, just a storyline for the local media to cover for the future game

And IIRC, it wasn't a one-time thing. Avery has apparently been running his mouth about that for some time. Some articles I've seen say he's been chirping at Marty for several years now (Brodeur divorced in 2003.)

That's what happens when you bang your sister in-law.

Anyone remember the classic "Burke beats his wife" chants by Sabre fans when Sean Burke played for Philly.

Seriously, he makes one stupid comment that is true, she has become quite the hockey , and he is getting suspended? I don't know of many places where I could be leaving work and make a comment like that and face losing my job over it, or even be disiplined much more then a slap on the wrist

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. It's his choice of words and his desire to make sure the media got that quote and ran with it.

Taking the media out of the equation for a second - you really don't think making a sexually suggestive comment at work would land you in hot water? No sexual harassment laws in Ontario? Really? Bringing the media angle back in - let's say you made that comment in front of a client. Still nothing?

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. It's his choice of words and his desire to make sure the media got that quote and ran with it.

Taking the media out of the equation for a second - you really don't think making a sexually suggestive comment at work would land you in hot water? No sexual harassment laws in Ontario? Really? Bringing the media angle back in - let's say you made that comment in front of a client. Still nothing?

Good analogy. Let's say you're a Pepsi exec who once dated a woman who now is dating a Coca-Cola exec, and you made the same comment in the national media. Do you think for a second that Pepsi is going to keep you around? Nope.

Trying to translate EiI-speak into something I can understand, I think you're saying that the Sabres need Avery or an Avery-esque player. If so I couldn't disagree with you more. Kaleta as a pest, yes. Someone who acts like a moron and distracts from the team and game because he's so busy coming up with his next stunt? F :censored: no.

Come on! That wasn't so hard to understand. I am saying the way the rules are, a team needs a pest.

Ideally, I don't want to see that... I would rather see the league go back to their old self and bring back having the players enforce themselves.

A player like Avery is relevant (dispute it all you want guys... But, he is) because the league makes players like him relevant.

And yes, I stand by team aquiring a distraction like Avery as much as I hate it in the end... Again... Dispute it... The Sabres need something to loosen them up and take the heat off... Of course temporarily (which I forgot to mention my first post).

In the end... I am for letting the punk run his mouth... Let him step on the ice and get crushed... But the league does not work like that anymore.

haha you guys are funny. all your moral rights, and thinking the NHL is concerned with it's image. Trust me, the NFL has players trash talking all the time -- do you honestly think that deters anybody from the game? If anything, it gives people a REASON to watch the game.

Think about it: had the NHL not suspended him, what are the chances we even hear about the whole situation? Pretty low probably. And now that we know about it, how many people want to watch Avery's next game to see if there's any retribution from other teams? Probably AT LEAST a couple more than wanted to before.

The NHL needs people like Avery who will talk big game and make ridiculous comments like this. Maybe it's because I'm a Sabres fan and they're all big pussies, but I'm sick of watchin' interviews with little boys who say the right things all the time. "It's frustrating. We have to play with more desperation. Didn't get the job done. etc. etc." I want the NHL to have a TO or Chad Johnson.

I don't think it hurts the games image at all. And to suspend someone... for that? Especially with all the issues about headshots and hits from behind -- you're going to suspend someone FOR MAKING A JOKE? An innocent, harmless, border-line offensive joke?

A fine would have sufficed. A suspension? Woo Gary! Way to put your foot down! :wallbash:

Good point Jack!

Wow, it seems that the Stars' players aren't too broken up over his suspension:

http://tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=258309

"We hope it's the last time we ever see him," says one veteran.
"Our locker room is the happiest it has been all year right now," says another player.
"An apology (to the team) won't work," says a third player. ... "He isn't welcome here anymore."
"He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran.

Come on! That wasn't so hard to understand. I am saying the way the rules are, a team needs a pest.

Ideally, I don't want to see that... I would rather see the league go back to their old self and bring back having the players enforce themselves.

A player like Avery is relevant (dispute it all you want guys... But, he is) because the league makes players like him relevant.

And yes, I stand by team aquiring a distraction like Avery as much as I hate it in the end... Again... Dispute it... The Sabres need something to loosen them up and take the heat off... Of course temporarily (which I forgot to mention my first post).

In the end... I am for letting the punk run his mouth... Let him step on the ice and get crushed... But the league does not work like that anymore.

I agree we need a pest, and we have a pest-in-training in Kaleta. And funny, for as much fun as Barnaby was to watch, I don't recall him making racial slurs (like Avery has been accused of multiple times) or making "sloppy seconds" comments to the media. (On a side note, it might prove interesting if Kaleta hooked with Barnaby and picked his brain about ways to be a more effective pest. Barnaby was always very good at ticking off the opposition.)

A pest doesn't need to run his mouth the way Avery does. The pest needs to talk trash, but there are certain lines you should not cross, and Avery not only crosses them with regularity, he enjoys crossing them. Avery is in a "class" all his own.

Funny piece, but this is some of the dumbest logic that I've ever read:

Interesting that the suspension is retroactive to Tuesday. One could interpret this as a four-game suspension with time served, which clearly puts this in line with the League's previous punishments for racial slurs on the ice -- those suspensions would run about three games in serious instances.

So, because they decided that his six-game suspension would be a six-game suspension part way through that six-game suspension, it is somehow consistent with a three-game suspension? He was not able to play in, nor was he paid for, six games. Period. End of story. Of course it was retroactive; he was suspended indefinitely Tuesday. All they did was make it definite at six games. :wallbash:

Reading some articles today and came across an update of the whole "Avery" thing today.

Seems like quite a conundrum.

Stars don't want him back and...

per TSN:

Options being discussed are whether the Stars would buy out the remainder of Avery's contract next summer, a US$8 million hit. Or perhaps, waivers and a demotion to the minors.

The problem is, the Stars do not have their own American Hockey League affiliate. They anticipate problems convincing another NHL club to take Avery into a dressing room full of their own prospects.

The Stars have an ECHL affiliate in Boise, Idaho. The Avery camp would have to sign off on a demotion to any league other than the AHL, however.

Looks like his NHL career might be over?

I heard on another message board that people in Toronto think the Leafs would be interested in Avery....

After these comments about Toronto and it's fans last year..

"No. I never enjoy going to Toronto, really. So all that'll do is motivate me to play better, probably. "Why? Let's see. ... Because I don't enjoy hockey-obsessed Canadians. The exchange is not very good right now. And it's going to cost me a lot of money in tickets for people I don't even like. "How's that for an answer? Would you like me to go on? Nah, I think that's probably enough."

I don't think so. Seriously, he needs help before something worse happens. What team in their right mind would pick this guy up or even want him to play with their AHL team rookies?

After these comments about Toronto and it's fans last year..

"No. I never enjoy going to Toronto, really. So all that'll do is motivate me to play better, probably. "Why? Let's see. ... Because I don't enjoy hockey-obsessed Canadians. The exchange is not very good right now. And it's going to cost me a lot of money in tickets for people I don't even like. "How's that for an answer? Would you like me to go on? Nah, I think that's probably enough."

I don't think so. Seriously, he needs help before something worse happens. What team in their right mind would pick this guy up or even want him to play with their AHL team rookies?

Aren't the Amerks on the market for some veteran "leadership"? ;)

I don't see any reason to expect the Loafs to want him, but him simply "hating" the team probably won't figure into it. If Boston could trade away the best goal scorer of his era for a defenseman that wrote a book stating how much he hated the Bruins, then hatred probably doesn't factor highly into the decision.

Aren't the Amerks on the market for some veteran "leadership"? ;)

I don't see any reason to expect the Loafs to want him, but him simply "hating" the team probably won't figure into it. If Boston could trade away the best goal scorer of his era for a defenseman that wrote a book stating how much he hated the Bruins, then hatred probably doesn't factor highly into the decision.

And if Thurman Thomas could play for the Dolphins... Hunger is a great motivator...so is foreclosure

Archived