Slightly OT - Avery's big mouth gets him in big trouble

carpandean

perfect. love it. his being a non-factor in that series is such a fond memory for me.

it's really absurd, isn't it? so, the league is still ambivalent about handing out stiff suspensions for head shots, but comments from a diva in the media about his former girlfriend's va-jay-jay, that's something that will be met with a swift and stern rebuke. :death:

Exactly... The league is a joke.

I'd love to watch Phaneuf pound Avery.

Yeah, who would have figured that a multi-million dollar corporation frowns on its employees making juvenile sex jokes in the media? It's not like the NHL is concerned about its image or anything.... :doh:

Yet that same corporation has no problem with players using their elbows as weapons against opposing players skulls? Avery is going to miss almost as many games as Bertuzzi who intentionally crippled a guy?

The NHL front offices continues to embarrass themselves.

It's not just suggestive, it's offensive; look at it from Cuthbert's point of view.

Bad choice of words on my part. Offensive is a better choice.

Come on people... I know he is a douchebag... But a douchebag is exactly what the doctored has ordered for Buffalo.

What the doc has ordered for the league? Repeal the instigator rule.

;) ;)

Trying to translate EiI-speak into something I can understand, I think you're saying that the Sabres need Avery or an Avery-esque player. If so I couldn't disagree with you more. Kaleta as a pest, yes. Someone who acts like a moron and distracts from the team and game because he's so busy coming up with his next stunt? F :censored: no.

Yet that same corporation has no problem with players using their elbows as weapons against opposing players skulls? Avery is going to miss almost as many games as Bertuzzi who intentionally crippled a guy?

The disparity in punishment has not escaped me. Bertuzzi shouldn't be playing, Steve Downie has gotten multiple suspensions for attempting to injure and he's still playing, etc. While I applaud the NHL for dealing harshly with this complete jackass, it is tough to accept that Bertuzzi is still allowed in the NHL despite ending a carer with a cheap shot while Avery is indefinitely suspended for making some sophomoric sexual comments to the media.

Amen. That is not to say I approve of Averys crude comments but the NHL has been far too lienient with more serious matters. Now they are making Avery look like a martyr.

as for an indefinite suspension.. please... that is way over the top... I hear a grievance coming...

I think there is some confusion about the word "indefinite". It just means that he is suspended, but they aren't sure for how long yet. He made the comments in the afternoon before the game and league didn't want him to play that night. They knew that they would suspend him, but didn't have the opportunity to meet and decide on a duration for the suspension. They could come out today and say "one game suspension", which would mean just the game last night, or they could say "5 games suspension" or "20 games." We don't know what his punishment will be, so it's hard to say that it is not appropriate (unless you feel one game is inappropriate.)

I think there is some confusion about the word "indefinite". It just means that he is suspended, but they aren't sure for how long yet. He made the comments in the afternoon before the game and league didn't want him to play that night. They knew that they would suspend him, but didn't have the opportunity to meet and decide on a duration for the suspension. They could come out today and say "one game suspension", which would mean just the game last night, or they could say "5 games suspension" or "20 games." We don't know what his punishment will be, so it's hard to say that it is not appropriate (unless you feel one game is inappropriate.)

Right. He's suspended until he meets with the league. He'll probably get about 3 games.

As to the whole situation, I put this under the same category as making the players wear suits when they go on the road.

haha you guys are funny. all your moral rights, and thinking the NHL is concerned with it's image. Trust me, the NFL has players trash talking all the time -- do you honestly think that deters anybody from the game? If anything, it gives people a REASON to watch the game.

Think about it: had the NHL not suspended him, what are the chances we even hear about the whole situation? Pretty low probably. And now that we know about it, how many people want to watch Avery's next game to see if there's any retribution from other teams? Probably AT LEAST a couple more than wanted to before.

The NHL needs people like Avery who will talk big game and make ridiculous comments like this. Maybe it's because I'm a Sabres fan and they're all big pussies, but I'm sick of watchin' interviews with little boys who say the right things all the time. "It's frustrating. We have to play with more desperation. Didn't get the job done. etc. etc." I want the NHL to have a TO or Chad Johnson.

I don't think it hurts the games image at all. And to suspend someone... for that? Especially with all the issues about headshots and hits from behind -- you're going to suspend someone FOR MAKING A JOKE? An innocent, harmless, border-line offensive joke?

A fine would have sufficed. A suspension? Woo Gary! Way to put your foot down! :wallbash:

haha you guys are funny. all your moral rights, and thinking the NHL is concerned with it's image. Trust me, the NFL has players trash talking all the time -- do you honestly think that deters anybody from the game? If anything, it gives people a REASON to watch the game.

Nothing to do with moral rights (whatever those are) and making inappropriate comments to the media.

Big difference between on-the-field trash-talking and waiting for the media to make a crude sexual joke.

And you're right - the NHL is not concerned about their image at all. Right.

Think about it: had the NHL not suspended him, what are the chances we even hear about the whole situation? Pretty low probably. And now that we know about it, how many people want to watch Avery's next game to see if there's any retribution from other teams? Probably AT LEAST a couple more than wanted to before.

Considering he waited for the media to gather before making the comments, I'd say chances are pretty damn good that we all would have heard about this.

And who exactly is going to watch more NHL games - not just Avery's return to Calgary - because of this? WWE fans? Maybe we can script something where Avery is giving an interview and Phaneuf charges into the dressing room and hits him with a folding chair. That would increase ratings as well, right?

The NHL needs people like Avery who will talk big game and make ridiculous comments like this. Maybe it's because I'm a Sabres fan and they're all big pussies, but I'm sick of watchin' interviews with little boys who say the right things all the time. "It's frustrating. We have to play with more desperation. Didn't get the job done. etc. etc." I want the NHL to have a TO or Chad Johnson.

It is frustrating to hear the cliched, canned responses that players and coaches give to the media, but that doesn't mean you have to fly to the other end of the spectrum and act like a frat boy every time the media shoves a microphone in front of your face. And I completely disagree that the NHL needs a TO or Chad Johnson. Those guys are all about TO and Chad Johnson. They couldn't care less about their teammates, franchise or league.

I don't think it hurts the games image at all. And to suspend someone... for that? Especially with all the issues about headshots and hits from behind -- you're going to suspend someone FOR MAKING A JOKE? An innocent, harmless, border-line offensive joke?

Agree that it makes the league look bad that they are tougher on "conduct detrimental to the league" than they are about ensuring the safety of the players. But again, that doesn't make it OK for Avery to make sexual comments to the media.

A fine would have sufficed. A suspension? Woo Gary! Way to put your foot down! :wallbash:

Had it been a slip of the tongue or something that he just blurted out after the game, then maybe I'd agree with a fine and a very short (1-2 games) suspension. But since this was planned and he waited for the media to gather around him before saying it, then I'm fine with it.

blah blah blah

Well you're entitled to your own opinion, but mine says the NHL made a way bigger deal out of it then they should have. I'd put money on the fact that FAR more people got a laugh out of it than were offended by it, and I don't think I'd be too far off to think that a majority of the Dallas Stars team mates and Organization don't really care about the whole ordeal -- they're just doing more of the same, saying the right things to avoid confrontation.

I, for one, would be scared to speak up and say the league was wrong, considering that saying anything demeaning or hurtful is now a first degree offense.

It wasn't just that. It was completely classless. He could have easily just have said, "...my-exgirlfriend".

If we're talking about class, then where's Brodeur's suspension? What Avery did in the playoffs was completely within the rules, and yet Captain America Marty refused to shake his hand after the series. Not only is that 'completely classless,' but it is disrespectful to the league and it's traditions.

(just playing devils advocate, I don't really care about Brodeur OR Avery's antics. I just think people make too much out of nothing.)

If we're talking about class, then where's Brodeur's suspension? What Avery did in the playoffs was completely within the rules, and yet Captain America Marty refused to shake his hand after the series. Not only is that 'completely classless,' but it is disrespectful to the league and it's traditions.

(just playing devils advocate, I don't really care about Brodeur OR Avery's antics. I just think people make too much out of nothing.)

You do know that Brodeur not shaking his hand had nothing to do with Avery waving his stick in front of him? He made very hurtful comments about his personal life that crossed the line of what Marty felt a person worthy of respect would do.

Marty Brodeur is Captain America? Did I miss a memo? Pretty sure he's been the goalie for Team Canada for his entire career, being born in Quebec and all.

Man, Drury is gonna be pissed that a Canadian is being called Captain America.... :unsure:

Yeah, I believe it was about his ex-wife and their messy divorce.

And IIRC, it wasn't a one-time thing. Avery has apparently been running his mouth about that for some time. Some articles I've seen say he's been chirping at Marty for several years now (Brodeur divorced in 2003.)

Archived