Slightly OT - Avery's big mouth gets him in big trouble

carpandean

no way. even if all doors are closed at this point (i'm not sure they are), all he needs is for some time to pass, memories to fade, etc. and he'll get another shot somewhere.

Maybe, maybe not. You can only burn so many bridges before you run out of options...

Funny piece, but this is some of the dumbest logic that I've ever read:

So, because they decided that his six-game suspension would be a six-game suspension part way through that six-game suspension, it is somehow consistent with a three-game suspension? He was not able to play in, nor was he paid for, six games. Period. End of story. Of course it was retroactive; he was suspended indefinitely Tuesday. All they did was make it definite at six games. :wallbash:

Six games for calling a women "sloppy seconds". 15 games for intentionally crippling a player. That seems about right. :thumbdown:

Six games for calling a women "sloppy seconds". 15 games for intentionally crippling a player. That seems about right. :thumbdown:

I agree. Call him in and let him know from a PR standpoint he is embarrassing the league and he has to tone it down(fine him for repeated offenses and raise the fine each time), but suspending him for 6 games? Give me a break?

Avery is trying to make hockey more like pro wrestling with his antics. He's trying to revolutionize the sport into something more fan interactive. The only problem is:

A. He's mental.

B. The sport consists of all boring Dudley do-Right impersonators.

To him, the sloppy seconds comment is very pale in comparison to pro wrestlers and what they do. The

NHL will never adopt this mentality.

Avery will not be returning to Stars

Wow, that contract will be hard to eat.

Good for the Stars.

BTW, good story in Bucky's Inside the NHL column this morning.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/522687.html

A clip:

For every self-consumed loose cannon like Avery, there are a thousand selfless treasures like the Chicago Blackhawks. They confirmed as much three weeks ago after GM Dale Tallon?s father, Stanley Tallon, passed away after a long illness in Gravenhurst, Ont. (pop. 11,000), the day the Blackhawks were in Toronto.

The ?Hawks were coming off a Chicago to Phoenix to Dallas to Toronto road trip and longed for a few days of R&R in the Windy City before jetting off on a three-game western swing over Thanksgiving. They were expected to fly home immediately after the Toronto game while Tallon handled funeral arrangements.

Rather than fly home, they changed on the fly.

They voted to abandon the travel schedule, proved their hearts were stronger than their hockey. They checked back into a hotel, purchased practice ice in the morning, rented two buses and took a two-hour ride north of Toronto to support their boss at the wake.

Ever see a grown GM cry? That?s what Tallon did after they stepped off the buses, greeted him one-by-one, comforted his mother, met with his daughters, spent enough time to show they cared and took the two-hour ride back to the airport. Basically, they sacrificed rare time off with their families to help Tallon and his family.

Well, there are a few posters (I don't remember who) who have said from time to time that they would like Avery on the team, but hate him on other teams. Looks like he's going to be available; do you still want him? I don't, but it's a legitimate position.

Well, there are a few posters (I don't remember who) who have said from time to time that they would like Avery on the team, but hate him on other teams. Looks like he's going to be available; do you still want him? I don't, but it's a legitimate position.

No thank you. We have too many mentally fragile players as it is. Avery would have half of them in tears by the end of his first practice.

I'd take him. Can we trade Max for him? It works for a few different reasons. First, we talk about the fact that we need toughness in the locker room. Avery seems to be the type of person that finishes every check no matter if its a regular season game or playoff game. Second, he's not afraid to stand in front of the crease and take a pounding or serve as a distraction (see Martin Brouder). Who else does this on our team consistently? All I can think of is Vanek or Goose. Lastly, Buffalo has been a good stop for players who need a second chance at getting their careers back on track. Look at what playing in Buffalo did for Briere and Drury. These were guys that seemed lost before trades brought them in, and look how it worked out for us for the few years they were hear. I see Avery being able to get along with guys like Mair and Peters really well. Imagine Kaleta being able to learn from the master of his craft.

Do I think the Sabres will bring him in? Of course not. But he could be a nice additition and it would be great to see him get his second chance in Buffalo.

Do I think the Sabres will bring him in? Of course not. But he could be a nice additition and it would be great to see him get his second chance in Buffalo.

Why should he get a second chance anywhere? He's an embarrassment to the game. He should go overseas like Ray Emery and Chris Simon...other clowns who are pathetic that have no respect for the game.

Can you imagine how Avery would destroy the Sabres? This team is performing like an average team now without him. With him, they would likely get worse and he would obviously become a distraction. So you'd be left with an average or below team with a distracting player making it worse.

Why don't we do a trade like that, please, please, please!!! Meaning of course, we need to change the mix, just do it, get it done - not meaning that particular kind of player.

While I totally agree, I imagine it is a little harder to get a second-line center than a third/fourth-line agitator. Plus, they have to move someone (e.g., Max) to create room, which likely will be a separate trade. Of course, I'm still not sure Darcy is convinced that we need to.

While I totally agree, I imagine it is a little harder to get a second-line center than a third/fourth-line agitator. Plus, they have to move someone (e.g., Max) to create room, which likely will be a separate trade. Of course, I'm still not sure Darcy is convinced that we need to.

I'm really surprised that these Max-to-the-Avs rumors - if there is any substance to them at all - haven't resulted in some sort of deal. Four forwards - Sakic, Darcy Tucker, Willsie and Guite - are all on IR, and Svatos is questionable with a back injury. You'd think they would get a little desperate and give up something for someone they supposedly covet.

I'm really surprised that these Max-to-the-Avs rumors - if there is any substance to them at all - haven't resulted in some sort of deal. Four forwards - Sakic, Darcy Tucker, Willsie and Guite - are all on IR, and Svatos is questionable with a back injury. You'd think they would get a little desperate and give up something for someone they supposedly covet.

Five more days and we're stuck with Max through the holidays. If the Avs need help, I imagine something will happen before the holiday freeze.

Five more days and we're stuck with Max through the holidays. If the Avs need help, I imagine something will happen before the holiday freeze.

FWIW, the injury report on Sportsline.com shows three of the five listed as "Out until at least mid-December."

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/injuries

Sign him. He may be a a$$hole. He is a a$$hole with a set of ballz. This team can use personality. It's not like he hit a woman or ran her down downtown. :thumbsup:

MANY players on Stars talked about how glad they were that Avery was sent packing. They said they didn't like him and that Avery caused PROBLEMS in the lockeroom. It'd hurt the Sabres. It would not help them.

Good for the Stars.

BTW, good story in Bucky's Inside the NHL column this morning.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/522687.html

A clip:

For every self-consumed loose cannon like Avery, there are a thousand selfless treasures like the Chicago Blackhawks. They confirmed as much three weeks ago after GM Dale Tallon?s father, Stanley Tallon, passed away after a long illness in Gravenhurst, Ont. (pop. 11,000), the day the Blackhawks were in Toronto.

The ?Hawks were coming off a Chicago to Phoenix to Dallas to Toronto road trip and longed for a few days of R&R in the Windy City before jetting off on a three-game western swing over Thanksgiving. They were expected to fly home immediately after the Toronto game while Tallon handled funeral arrangements.

Rather than fly home, they changed on the fly.

They voted to abandon the travel schedule, proved their hearts were stronger than their hockey. They checked back into a hotel, purchased practice ice in the morning, rented two buses and took a two-hour ride north of Toronto to support their boss at the wake.

Ever see a grown GM cry? That?s what Tallon did after they stepped off the buses, greeted him one-by-one, comforted his mother, met with his daughters, spent enough time to show they cared and took the two-hour ride back to the airport. Basically, they sacrificed rare time off with their families to help Tallon and his family.

I read this in the News yesterday. Great story!

MANY players on Stars talked about how glad they were that Avery was sent packing. They said they didn't like him and that Avery caused PROBLEMS in the lockeroom. It'd hurt the Sabres. It would not help them.

I couldn't care less if Avery caused problems in the Stars locker-room. There are many players way too comfortable in that locker-room and maybe Avery could stir it up and pi$$ some of the Sabres off. Who knows they might take some of the anger out on the ice with them.

I couldn't care less if Avery caused problems in the Stars locker-room. There are many players way too comfortable in that locker-room and maybe Avery could stir it up and pi$$ some of the Sabres off. Who knows they might take some of the anger out on the ice with them.

No way I want that locker room cancer on the Sabres. BTW heard any good JP Losman jokes lately? :nana:

No way I want that locker room cancer on the Sabres. BTW heard any good JP Losman jokes lately? :nana:

Wouldn't want him here either, but not because he might piss off a few of the brat pack. Wouldn't mind that in the slightest.

I don't want him here because he's a loser, and he would cause me to boo my own team.

Avery's just a nobody. He knows this, so he has to flap his lips at every given opportunity, cause he knows if he doesn't, he's out of a job.

Mair said it best before the 06/07 series against the rags :

"Sean's bark is a lot worse than his bite", and so the Sabres went on to completely ignore this complete nobody for the entire series. A thing of beauty.

Archived