Slightly OT - Avery's big mouth gets him in big trouble

carpandean

No way I want that locker room cancer on the Sabres. BTW heard any good JP Losman jokes lately? :nana:

Heard? No. Saw a great one yesterday.

I like to stop by TSW once in a while and read all the Loseman supporters back tracking. Amazingly many of the pro-Loseman crowd have been oddly silent or changed their screen names. Maybe it's because many were also in favor of the Jauron hire.

It's no surprise that the pro-Loseman mod blocked my account the same week Loseman lost his starting job. I take that as a victory and a huge compliment. I guess she couldn't stand to read the "I told you so" post.

Sign him. He may be a a$$hole. He is a a$$hole with a set of ballz. This team can use personality. It's not like he hit a woman or ran her down downtown. :thumbsup:

I agree.

Plus I bet Ruff can keep this guy under control....Ruff might be just the coach Avery needs

Why should he get a second chance anywhere? He's an embarrassment to the game. He should go overseas like Ray Emery and Chris Simon...other clowns who are pathetic that have no respect for the game.

Can you imagine how Avery would destroy the Sabres? This team is performing like an average team now without him. With him, they would likely get worse and he would obviously become a distraction. So you'd be left with an average or below team with a distracting player making it worse.

How does Ray Emery not have respect for the game? Other than the fact that he's not a good NHL goalie he hasn't done anything to show he's been disrespectful to the NHL. Mentioning Sean Avery with Chris Simon is a bit of a stretch, as well, considering I've never seen Avery get so mad that he decided to use his stick to slash someone in the throat. Todd Bertuzzi is still playing, does he have respect for the game? I bet Steve Moore would have a strong answer.

My point is that if Avery is going out of his way to admit he has a problem (supposedly the Anger Management was his idea: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3747105) and he is going to make a significant effort to change, why not do it in Buffalo? The guy can still contribute and he brings the "toughness" that I've seen mentioned as lacking on this board. The Sabres "are performing like an average team." Why not stir the pot? The Sabres are missing the attitude, or swagger, that young teams need to go far (see Laraque in Pittsburgh last year). Dallas' veterans are still the face of the franchise, while Buffalo is relying on its youth.

Besides, I would rather have a physical, consistent contributor on the ice than having to watch the mind-blowing inconsistency of Max Afinogenov. If we could trade him to Dallas for Avery, I'd do it in a second. What are we going to lose? One misunderstood headcase for another?

How does Ray Emery not have respect for the game? Other than the fact that he's not a good NHL goalie he hasn't done anything to show he's been disrespectful to the NHL. Mentioning Sean Avery with Chris Simon is a bit of a stretch, as well, considering I've never seen Avery get so mad that he decided to use his stick to slash someone in the throat. Todd Bertuzzi is still playing, does he have respect for the game? I bet Steve Moore would have a strong answer.

My point is that if Avery is going out of his way to admit he has a problem (supposedly the Anger Management was his idea: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3747105) and he is going to make a significant effort to change, why not do it in Buffalo? The guy can still contribute and he brings the "toughness" that I've seen mentioned as lacking on this board. The Sabres "are performing like an average team." Why not stir the pot? The Sabres are missing the attitude, or swagger, that young teams need to go far (see Laraque in Pittsburgh last year). Dallas' veterans are still the face of the franchise, while Buffalo is relying on its youth.

Besides, I would rather have a physical, consistent contributor on the ice than having to watch the mind-blowing inconsistency of Max Afinogenov. If we could trade him to Dallas for Avery, I'd do it in a second. What are we going to lose? One misunderstood headcase for another?

Don't underestimate what one malcontent could do a whole locker room. If his own teamates don't want him back why should we take a chance on him. How many teams has he been on the past 6 years, 4? No thanks. Anyways after he is neutered, I mean after he completes his thearpy, do you think he will still be the same player?

Don't underestimate what one malcontent could do a whole locker room. If his own teamates don't want him back why should we take a chance on him. How many teams has he been on the past 6 years, 4? No thanks. Anyways after he is neutered, I mean after he completes his thearpy, do you think he will still be the same player?

This is his third team in 6 years, however, he only was traded once from LA to NY. He was in LA for 5 years and NYC for 2. As far as I know New York wanted to keep him. However given the over-inflated NHL FA market, they knew they could not afford to keep him and address other needs (departure of Jagr, top 4 defenseman, etc.). Besides, how many teams has Chris Drury (3) or Danny Briere (3) been on in the past 6 years? Does that mean their teams hated them?

I understand what one "distraction" can do to a locker room. Look at what happened last year with Campbell. His contract situation, and the media attention it brought, must have been the root of some of the failure in last seasons play. By the time it ended, no one ended up happy. I think it's a risk that he might be a distraction, but like I said before, if he is trying to change then maybe a place where the core group of guys is younger rather than older might be a better adjustment.

Your point about him being the same player is definitely valid. I think if he is able to put his energy into finishing every check and serving as a shield to goalies then he will definitely be an asset. When I watch the Sabres these days, I wish we had more guys that would camp out in front of the crease. I can only think of Vanek and Gaustad as two guys that do this with consistency. Whenever I see Avery play he always seems to go to the net and distract the goalie rather than try to play with the puck in the corners.

This is his third team in 6 years, however, he only was traded once from LA to NY. He was in LA for 5 years and NYC for 2. As far as I know New York wanted to keep him. However given the over-inflated NHL FA market, they knew they could not afford to keep him and address other needs (departure of Jagr, top 4 defenseman, etc.). Besides, how many teams has Chris Drury (3) or Danny Briere (3) been on in the past 6 years? Does that mean their teams hated them?

I understand what one "distraction" can do to a locker room. Look at what happened last year with Campbell. His contract situation, and the media attention it brought, must have been the root of some of the failure in last seasons play. By the time it ended, no one ended up happy. I think it's a risk that he might be a distraction, but like I said before, if he is trying to change then maybe a place where the core group of guys is younger rather than older might be a better adjustment.

Your point about him being the same player is definitely valid. I think if he is able to put his energy into finishing every check and serving as a shield to goalies then he will definitely be an asset. When I watch the Sabres these days, I wish we had more guys that would camp out in front of the crease. I can only think of Vanek and Gaustad as two guys that do this with consistency. Whenever I see Avery play he always seems to go to the net and distract the goalie rather than try to play with the puck in the corners.

Don't forget that in his last full season in LA, he was such a distraction in the dressing room that they sent him home for the last few games of the regular season and told him they wouldn't use him in the postseason if they qualified.

Not even close. They didn't want him back and they didn't offer him a contract. They viewed getting rid of him as addition by subtraction. (And he was a highly effective player for them too -- their record with him in the lineup last year was significantly better than it was without him. But they still wanted him gone.)

Welcome to the board, but please check your facts before you post.

Not even close. They didn't want him back and they didn't offer him a contract. They viewed getting rid of him as addition by subtraction. (And he was a highly effective player for them too -- their record with him in the lineup last year was significantly better than it was without him. But they still wanted him gone.)

Welcome to the board, but please check your facts before you post.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/r...itled__r3s.html

There are my facts. Where are yours?

Don't forget that in his last full season in LA, he was such a distraction in the dressing room that they sent him home for the last few games of the regular season and told him they wouldn't use him in the postseason if they qualified.

That's a good point. Why then do you think they signed him for the next year? http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=20

Must have been to get his trade value up to trade him?

That's a good point. Why then do you think they signed him for the next year? http://www.kingshockey.com/articles.cfm?id=20

Must have been to get his trade value up to trade him?

EDIT: The reason is in the last line of that article:

With the new contract, Avery and the Kings will avoid salary arbitration.

EDIT: The reason is in the last line of that article:

With the new contract, Avery and the Kings will avoid salary arbitration.

I don't know the rules of restricted free agency that well. But if the Kings decided they did not want him on their team anymore, then couldn't they have just let him go? Not offered him a salary or paid his arbitration settlement? Or do they have to pay him?

I don't know the rules of restricted free agency that well. But if the Kings decided they did not want him on their team anymore, then couldn't they have just let him go? Not offered him a salary or paid his arbitration settlement? Or do they have to pay him?

I don't know the specifics of Avery's situation there either, but I think that we're getting away from the point. He's been on three teams in the last six years, and his act has worn thin on at least two (LA and Dallas) and it took him less than two months to wear out his welcome with the Stars.

Too much drama, too many headaches. Let's solve our roster problems with someone else.

I don't know the specifics of Avery's situation there either, but I think that we're getting away from the point. He's been on three teams in the last six years, and his act has worn thin on at least two (LA and Dallas) and it took him less than two months to wear out his welcome with the Stars.

Too much drama, too many headaches. Let's solve our roster problems with someone else.

That's true, but I don't think that you can blame the Stars' woes on Avery alone. The reason they are losing is due to poor defense (Zubov is injured) and goaltending rather than the presence of Sean Avery.

If they come back to make the playoffs, history will blame the presence of Avery. As of late, however, they have not played well enough in their own zone to win.

That's true, but I don't think that you can blame the Stars' woes on Avery alone. The reason they are losing is due to poor defense (Zubov is injured) and goaltending rather than the presence of Sean Avery.

If they come back to make the playoffs, history will blame the presence of Avery. As of late, however, they have not played well enough in their own zone to win.

I'm not saying that the Stars woes are completely his fault. But the facts stand - two of the three teams he's been on in the period you mentioned have grown tired of his crap and it took him all of 2+ months to do so in Dallas. That counts to me a lot more than whatever good he can bring a team.

If he stuck to being a gritty, two-way center with some instigator/agitator qualities and still chipped in his usual 15-18 goals and 25-30 assists, then fine, I'd take him in a heartbeat. But he's got way too much baggage to even consider bringing him in, IMO.

I'm not saying that the Stars woes are completely his fault. But the facts stand - two of the three teams he's been on in the period you mentioned have grown tired of his crap and it took him all of 2+ months to do so in Dallas. That counts to me a lot more than whatever good he can bring a team.

If he stuck to being a gritty, two-way center with some instigator/agitator qualities and still chipped in his usual 15-18 goals and 25-30 assists, then fine, I'd take him in a heartbeat. But he's got way too much baggage to even consider bringing him in, IMO.

When it comes to Avery and a Sabre uniform I keep coming back to one thought. The Sabres are going nowhere as the roster stands right. Will Avery add some life into this team? I have no idea. But, tonight was another night where this team was lethargic and lifeless. Could Avery bring change? I would be willing to try. What do the Sabres have to lose. They are facing the very real possibility of a 5th season without playoffs in 7 years if they stand pat. It doesn't matter if it's Avery, Gaborik or whoever. The Sabres need to do something.

When it comes to Avery and a Sabre uniform I keep coming back to one thought. The Sabres are going nowhere as the roster stands right. Will Avery add some life into this team? I have no idea. But, tonight was another night where this team was lethargic and lifeless. Could Avery bring change? I would be willing to try. What do the Sabres have to lose. They are facing the very real possibility of a 5th season without playoffs in 7 years if they stand pat. It doesn't matter if it's Avery, Gaborik or whoever. The Sabres need to do something.

I'm all for shaking up that dressing room and adding some energy and toughness. But I honestly believe that Avery is not the guy I want shaking up the roster. Some of our guys seem too mentally fragile as it is - Avery's antics would kill them.

I'm all for shaking up that dressing room and adding some energy and toughness. But I honestly believe that Avery is not the guy I want shaking up the roster. Some of our guys seem too mentally fragile as it is - Avery's antics would kill them.

If that is the case, maybe the Sabres need Avery to weed those players out of the organization. I guess I have zero concern about Avery upsetting the Sabre locker room because I have little respect for the make-up of the roster. There are only a handful of players I would like the Sabres to keep. The rest could be put on waivers tomorrow and I wouldn't care.

If that is the case, maybe the Sabres need Avery to weed those players out of the organization. I guess I have zero concern about Avery upsetting the Sabre locker room because I have little respect for the make-up of the roster. There are only a handful of players I would like the Sabres to keep. The rest could be put on waivers tomorrow and I wouldn't care.

I agree with this sentiment. Besides the emergence of Thomas Vanek's play, this team is playing very much like it did last season. The consistent inconsistency is becoming habitual for the team's "core." I guess I'm just really sick of hearing "we have to play the system" after every loss.

You're argueing from the point of view that The Sabres is an organisation that would :

a. Recognize dead wood if it jumped up and bit them in the rear.

b. Be willing to unload said dead wood once recognized.

Neither is the case.

Meaning, having Mr. Nobody here would just upset the little boys we're already stuck with, and the furthest any of said guys are going is the IR regardless of their fragile mental state.

Sad indeed, but true. Oh so very true....... :wallbash:

I agree with this sentiment. Besides the emergence of Thomas Vanek's play, this team is playing very much like it did last season. The consistent inconsistency is becoming habitual for the team's "core." I guess I'm just really sick of hearing "we have to play the system" after every loss.

A big thing that has hurt them this year has been the fact that they only picked up 1 "leadership" veteran this past off-season. The Sabres are 12-7-2 in games that Rivet has played. Had they picked up another veteran "leader" (2nd line center would have worked very nicely), the team would be able to handle the loss of Rivet (and Tim-may for that matter) much more readily.

This team was sorely lacking enough leadership last year. They've improved on it some this year, but I would definitely like to see one more leader brought in. Avery does not fit the bill. Too bad they're not in the Sundin sweepstakes.

As for "playing the system", they were doing a very good job of it at the beginning of the season. Since Atlanta, not so much.

• 1 month later...
So, the reports in the news about sending him to Rangers is playing out exactly as reported. That's interesting. At least someone got it right unlike most of the unfounded reports (read Eklund).

Rangers seem to be getting desperate. :thumbsup: :D :w00t:

Archived