If RJ and Harry Neale had to retire today

FogBat

Like: "Vanek Scccoooorrreeesssss!! This guys hotter than ....... a proverbial pistol!"

I remember hearing that and going, "really, Rick? A proverbial pistol? Seriously?" You could tell that he had nothing and grasped at the first proverbial straw that he thought of.

May Day! even though it was spontaneous, was way better than what you just mentioned. I would have expected something like that from Mike Lange.

BTW, scratch Dan Ruzinowski from that list. He may be a good game caller for the Sharks, but his voice is very annoying when he calls a goal.

I really think it will be Kevin Sylvester. He has done a game already and he used to do play by play in college. And I'm not sure if you all remember but everybody hated him is first year with the team and now everybody has warmed up to him and I think that will happen when he takes over for RJ.

Of the 2 or 3 games that he did last year, I wouldn't mind him doing PBP at all. There are obviously better voices out there, but we could do worse.

Neale just sounds like he's in it for the paycheck. He'll give you every stat in the book, but he does almost NO analysis whatsoever. This is what I miss about Lorentz...he didn't seem to care about the stats, but he was excellent at explaining the on-ice play and how it happened.

As for the national guys, it's hard to judge them because their broadcasts are usually geared less towards calling the game than talking about the teams' status and/or stories about a few players. Emrick does the Devils and I think he's very good at calling the on-ice action like RJ does. Sam Rosen does pretty well for the Rangers, but he seems to be taking a step back. If it was between those two, I'd still want Emrick.

One of the better analysts out there that I'd like to see is Darryl Reaugh. I think he played for the Whalers for years and maybe a year in Carolina, where I believe he's working right now. He's done a few games on Versus and done well, IMO. I don't think he's nearly as condescending as Ed Olczyk, Keith Jones, or any of the other analysts they have and does a good job of explaining the play...a la Lorentz.

I really think it will be Kevin Sylvester. He has done a game already and he used to do play by play in college. And I'm not sure if you all remember but everybody hated him is first year with the team and now everybody has warmed up to him and I think that will happen when he takes over for RJ.

That's quite the resume. <_< In other words, kiss LQ's ass enough and the sky is the limit. :o

PS I haven't warmed up to him. He was a hack on WGR and still is.

Can't say for sure, but supposedly these are also Mark Jeanneret:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeIMa5y-eg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeIMa5y-eg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yaqeh0ozwI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yaqeh0ozwI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Note: the sound is much lower on the second one.)

Spacek should retire at the end of the season and take over as play-by-play man. That would be comedic gold!

I am with the people that said Sylvester is the logical replacement. I really did not mind the job he did filling in before. I think if you get him a good color analyist like Robitaille it would work out just fine.

All I know is that it better be someone that has some polish and not a person who just sounds like a fan. For example, Jack Edwards IMO is the worst PBP man in sports. His comments are not only off-base, but sound completely unprofessional. He sounds like a guy just watching the game with his buddies. He's at his worst when there is a fight going on. Go over to hockeyfights.com or youtube and watch some Bruins fight videos and you'll know what I mean.

They are.

He's just not that good. RJ's voice is a little lower which prevents it from being too ridiculous at the top end. MJ just doesn't have the same touch.

I noticed the pitch difference, too. Rick just sounds like an old guy. I would like to think that Mark's voice will deepen, too, but he's got to be at least as old as rick was back in his early days (probably older) and I've never heard a clip where he sounded any different. Mark isn't too bad until he lets his voice fluctuate in his screams. We he goes "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!", it's not too bad. When he goes "SCOOOoooOOOOOOOOOoooOOORE!!", it really hurts.

I noticed the pitch difference, too. Rick just sounds like an old guy. I would like to think that Mark's voice will deepen, too, but he's got to be at least as old as rick was back in his early days (probably older) and I've never heard a clip where he sounded any different. Mark isn't too bad until he lets his voice fluctuate in his screams. We he goes "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!", it's not too bad. When he goes "SCOOOoooOOOOOOOOOoooOOORE!!", it really hurts.

Rick's age was always a mystery. I just saw a Wikipedia entry that says he was born in 1942. So he was about 29 when he started doing Sabres games. I'd have to guess Mark is a bit older than that. He looks to be in his mid 30s.

For the record: Absolutely NO Gary Thorne or Bill Clement!! Do I hear a second on this motion?

I'll second the Bill Clement motion but I've always liked Gary Thorne, going back to his days on ESPN.

Spacek should retire at the end of the season and take over as play-by-play man. That would be comedic gold!

I am with the people that said Sylvester is the logical replacement. I really did not mind the job he did filling in before. I think if you get him a good color analyist like Robitaille it would work out just fine.

All I know is that it better be someone that has some polish and not a person who just sounds like a fan. For example, Jack Edwards IMO is the worst PBP man in sports. His comments are not only off-base, but sound completely unprofessional. He sounds like a guy just watching the game with his buddies. He's at his worst when there is a fight going on. Go over to hockeyfights.com or youtube and watch some Bruins fight videos and you'll know what I mean.

What's logical about Kevin taking over? Does he have pictures of Larry Quinn and Brady Quinn?

Rick's age was always a mystery. I just saw a Wikipedia entry that says he was born in 1942. So he was about 29 when he started doing Sabres games. I'd have to guess Mark is a bit older than that. He looks to be in his mid 30s.

So was Marv Levy's when he tried to make himself out to be younger than he was.

Gary Thorne is oustanding at his craft

What I remember about Thorne -- and this might just be my raging paranoia -- is that his head would explode for goals scored against the Sabres, and he would very matter of factly call Sabre goals. So I have hated him since then (1998-99).

I wouldn't mind Danny Gare back for one of the two opening's, he's a Sabre and IMHO should have stayed in the organization.....

Gare does a good job as the Jackets' color guy, and it seems to be a much bigger role than he played on the Sabres' broadcasts. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back at all.

I see Rayzor getting the color job.

I don't think that would be a bad choice at all. At least he still has his head together after getting it bashed in after all those fights.

I thtill find it amuthing that he wath caught in between Lindy and former Thenatorth coach Bryan Murray.

Archived