If RJ and Harry Neale had to retire today

FogBat

Given what you guys have said about the horrible playcalling coming from Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale since the start of the season, it is looking more apparent that these guys are just about at the end of their broadcasting careers. Granted, they've done a far better job than I ever could, and I tip my hat to them. However, there comes a time when every man or woman has to leave the type of job they do because they just can't do it anymore like they could. Jim Lorentz retired because he couldn't take the travel anymore. However, he probably spared himself some unnecessary embarassment by not being able to call games and analysis down the line.

As for Harry Neale, I'm sure he's a great guy, but I don't think he provides the same effective analysis that Batman did. Plus, there's something about HN that rubs me the wrong way but I can't put my finger on it.

Any replacement suggestions (excluding Yours Truly)?

I think one thing is Harry's voice. He just sounds like he's phoning it in.

I actually thought if Jim had stuck around long enough, he'd be a good replacement for Rick. He did play by play a few times over the years and was quite good at it.

Conventional wisdom is that Rick's son is in line for the job. I guess people can look up some of his calls on YouTube and decide for themselves.

I'm not looking forward to LQ making this decision when the time comes.

As much as I want to like Mark Jeanneret, I can't say I'm a fan. He's trying to be his dad but it's just not quite there. Too forced.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eian4mnyIVE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eian4mnyIVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Whoever it is shouldn't be a copycat. He or she needs to have his or her own style.

Here's whom I don't want to see (or fakes thereof):

Dave Mishkin (unless you need his scream as an alarm clock)

Chuck Kaiton

Mike Lange

Toronto's radio crew

George Matthews

Ralph Strangis (you're kidding me if they're going to hire him)

Ken Kal

Tim Saunders

How many of you are going to cringe if it winds up being Kevin Sylvester?

As much as I want to like Mark Jeanneret, I can't say I'm a fan. He's trying to be his dad but it's just not quite there. Too forced.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eian4mnyIVE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eian4mnyIVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Um, yeah. I see what you mean. The way his voice quivers when he yells "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!" is extremely annoying. Definitely forced.

Scott Ferrall doing play by play and the Iron Sheik on color commentary!

Here's a little of both voices...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_2TUVlB1Y

Um, ok? What does this have to do with finding a new Sabres PBP crew?

Not only that, but you joined all the way back in 2005 and this is only your 12th post?

I would like to see Roby and Ray take over. Get the two of them going in the booth and it could be very entertaining, especially when they start fighting with each other. I would love to hear all the little quotes Roby would be coming up with. Neither of them would be afraid to rip on the Sabres play if they were up there right now.

Um, yeah. I see what you mean. The way his voice quivers when he yells "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!" is extremely annoying. Definitely forced.

Yeah, but it's kind of forced when RJ does it, too, these last few years. Actually, RJ's Sabre goal calls have become annoying. (He still describes a game so well that you could close your eyes and "see" it, though, which no other hockey announcer can do.)

Um, ok? What does this have to do with finding a new Sabres PBP crew?

Not only that, but you joined all the way back in 2005 and this is only your 12th post?

Lets all get along now....Scotty Ferrall would be very entertaining, but I doubt the Sabres would hire him. For those that don't know him....(From Wiki).....Scott Ferrall Quotes

Scott Ferrall is a sports talk radio host who currently broadcasts for Sirius Satellite Radio on Howard 101. Ferrall is easily recognizable by his distinctive crackling, raspy voice and his seemingly endless energy on the air. He's considered very controversial and pulls no punches on his show.

He was the original radio play-by-play voice of the Atlanta Thrashers. He is currently featured as a sports analyst on The Wheelhouse on SNY (DirectTV). He also has a website where people can pay for his sports picks called Scott Beats The Man.

Famous Ferrall Quotes

"Shake it Up."

"I love life in the dome!"

"You the man."

"Scotch Rocks"

"How can I be the man if you're the man?" (said quickly)

"Haymaker, Haymaker, Haymaker, with a headbutt"

"How about a little eye gouge, mister?!"

"79 and 0"(from Atlanta stint)

"Ferrallesaw and Ferrall Springs" (referring to metro Atlanta cities Kennesaw and Sandy Springs)

"Ferralladelphia" (Philadelphia)

"Shot & a beer, shot & a beer, shot & a beer, puke"(said quickly)

"He's a hell of an engineer, and he drinks his whiskey clear...."

"Where did my pants go"

The Sabres front office has gone out of their way on several occassions to refer to RJ and HN being an important part of their "Brand", therefore I would hope that when this day comes that the organization would step up and try to make a big splash in this area.

Guys I don't want to see: Pete Weber (Nashville), Jack Edwards (Boston)

Guys I'm on the fence on: Gary Thorne

Guys I would like to see: Mike Emrick, Sam Rosen.

Whoever it is they need to be themselves. There is only one RJ.

The Sabres front office has gone out of their way on several occassions to refer to RJ and HN being an important part of their "Brand", therefore I would hope that when this day comes that the organization would step up and try to make a big splash in this area.

Guys I don't want to see: Pete Weber (Nashville), Jack Edwards (Boston)

Guys I'm on the fence on: Gary Thorne

Guys I would like to see: Mike Emrick, Sam Rosen.

Whoever it is they need to be themselves. There is only one RJ.

You won't get an argument from anyone in this forum on that one.

If it was Sam Rosen, that would actually be taking a step backwards in his career - given his national spotlight. Same with Doc.

As for Pete Weber and Jack Edwards, you might as well add those guys to my list of those whom I don't want to see - nor their "clones".

Yeah, but it's kind of forced when RJ does it, too, these last few years. Actually, RJ's Sabre goal calls have become annoying. (He still describes a game so well that you could close your eyes and "see" it, though, which no other hockey announcer can do.)

I'll repeat the fact that I am one of the biggest Jeanneret fans out there.

But I have to agree his goal calls have slipped. He's just not spontaneous enough. Every goal gets "flattened" out to sound the same, especially at home.

I do have to disagree about his descriptive skills. He's never been one to get into details. It's a "great save by Miller," not "a great lower left pad save." The absence of details does force people listening on the radio to "fill in the details," and maybe that's what you meant.

I really think it will be Kevin Sylvester. He has done a game already and he used to do play by play in college. And I'm not sure if you all remember but everybody hated him is first year with the team and now everybody has warmed up to him and I think that will happen when he takes over for RJ.

I really think it will be Kevin Sylvester. He has done a game already and he used to do play by play in college. And I'm not sure if you all remember but everybody hated him is first year with the team and now everybody has warmed up to him and I think that will happen when he takes over for RJ.

You really want to get on LabattBlue's bad side, don't you?

Mark Jeanneret for sure... keep the Jeanneret name in the family.

You should have read what d4rksabre said earlier, along with the clip he put on there from YouTube.

We have a saying in the trucking industry. Daddy starts a successful company, and the kids run it into the ground.

But I have to agree his goal calls have slipped. He's just not spontaneous enough. Every goal gets "flattened" out to sound the same, especially at home.

Like: "Vanek Scccoooorrreeesssss!! This guys hotter than ....... a proverbial pistol!"

I remember hearing that and going, "really, Rick? A proverbial pistol? Seriously?" You could tell that he had nothing and grasped at the first proverbial straw that he thought of.

Archived