[OT] Political Discussion

carpandean

We made a single thread to contain all Bills related discussion to keep from cluttering up the hockey talk that is supposed to be going on here.

Pull up a chair and discuss the Buffalo Sabres with the hardest cheering fans in hockey!

So, disclaimers or not, I feel that we should have a single thread to contain all OT political discussions. Obviously, I'm no mod, so this could be a wasted attempt if they choose not to merge new threads here, but at least my point will be made.

Talk away!

We could just start using the The Trading Post forum or the Customer Service forum for OT discussion if an OT forum isn't coming. I pick The Trading Post - so it could mean "trading barbs".

I think it should be called "Dump Here"

Reminds me of some Phil Collins lyrics:

Don't get me started on politicians

And the lies they spread

Don't even mention sex and religion

And who they take to bed

But if you see me running down the street

Know where I'm running to

I'm tired of honesty being denied us

I'm coming looking for you

Don't get me started on information

Magazines and T.V.

There's one man under his big umbrella

While it's raining on you and me

Everyday it's getting harder to judge

Fiction from fact

I'm tired of truth being denied me

It's mine and I want it back

Business as usual in our pressure steamer

Where reality slips from view

They say that we can't take it

I think I can, can you?

Don't get me started on blood and thunder

with people flying blind

Not caring what or who they take with them

Or what they leave behind

It's one mans god against another

While the river of tears roll by

The things they do in the name of their father

Can someone tell me why

Don't hold me down, I'm on my way

And nothing's gonna turn me round

Don't turn around, give it to me straight

I'm on my way and nothing's gonna shake me

I'll hold my ground

Don't get me started

I periodically ask the question if one is needed. It would be nice if it were active because there is no reason to put up one if people aren't going to use it.

I don't believe there is enough traffic here to warrant a separate board for OT items.

While I would like to see this board grow (and you get some well deserved ad revenues), there is definitely something to be said for this being a small community. As a prime example, I can't imagine Inky's political thread getting nearly as long on PPP w/out there having been some major sniping going on. This board is small enough to still have a "family" feel to it, right down to the grumpy old grandpa, the eccentric uncle, and the cousin that's getting all grown up. Until the board is so big that it loses that feel, there probably isn't a need for a separate OT forum.

The other thread got deleated before most, if any, could have heard this. Like I said before this is what disturbes me as a voter. These people are just taking my vote away. You could find it going the other way I'm sure. No matter what though it's just disturbing. Take a couple of minutes and listen. I was shocked! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJotJcKN8U

The other thread got deleated before most, if any, could have heard this. Like I said before this is what disturbes me as a voter. These people are just taking my vote away. You could find it going the other way I'm sure. No matter what though it's just disturbing. Take a couple of minutes and listen. I was shocked! :o

The idea that voters actually know what they are choosing is a complete fallacy. First, the amount of time that people actually spend learning about their candidates varies substantially from basically none to enough to think they are educated. However, even those that spend more time often hear misleading facts and rarely the whole story (like how to pay for a particular plan). Then, even if they spend the extra time checking their facts to get the whole story, they only hear what their candidates say that they will do, which may or may not coincide with what they will actually do. Finally, even if the actions do play out as stated, many times there are two sets of equally qualified experts who can "prove" opposite effects from the same decisions. Elections are little more than poke and hope.

That said, you can't make a worse decision by learning more.

I periodically ask the question if one is needed. It would be nice if it were active because there is no reason to put up one if people aren't going to use it.

Well, the next ten days or so (seven until the election, and a few after for everyone who is pissed at the outcome) might give cause for one. Maybe we can all agree not to bring it up--that includes avatar pics and captions--but I doubt it, because it includes avatar pics and captions. So, if you can deal with some turmoil on your board (that might survive the election), don't bother; if not, maybe a redirect to the TBD politics board? Idunno, but I appreciate that you've recognized the situation.

Do you REALLY think that there aren't voters out there who are voting for McCain just because he's white? Really? Let it go. Vote on the positions.

If I could get out of this chair right now I'd slap you back to the Eisenhower Administration! Damn punks with your Walkmans and your Pong games on the picture tube.

(22 second mark)

I really hate to say this, but when you say Eisenhower Administration, you are really showing your age. What's even more bizarre is that I might as well be a pup in your eyes and I appear to be way more conservative than you.

Unfortunately, I don't think positions will factor enough in this election.

As a side-note - AP did a poll 2 weeks ago and asked the usual questions. One question they asked was which statement they agreed most with regarding the economy. They then stated McCain's position and Obama's position w/o label. McCain's position beat Obama's by something like 20 points... :wallbash:

As a side-note - AP did a poll 2 weeks ago and asked the usual questions. One question they asked was which statement they agreed most with regarding the economy. They then stated McCain's position and Obama's position w/o label. McCain's position beat Obama's by something like 20 points... :wallbash:

1. What about the rest of the questions? Why just cite the one? Were there no questions on the war? Civil rights? The national debt?

2. The poll disregards the fact that many Americans, who aren't necessarily tied to a party, aren't going to trust the same folks who urged us to vote for the current jackass that's been in for eight years. Those folks have f-ducked us good.

1. What about the rest of the questions? Why just cite the one? Were there no questions on the war? Civil rights? The national debt?

2. The poll disregards the fact that many Americans, who aren't necessarily tied to a party, aren't going to trust the same folks who urged us to vote for the current jackass that's been in for eight years. Those folks have f-ducked us good.

I'm sure there were hundreds of questions. The internals on polls are quite extensive.

However, the issue of "issues" was brought up. It is also well known that as the banking crisis took form, Obama surged to his current lead. I also failed to mention that the same poll said Obama would better handle the economy, despite the rejection of his actual stance on the economy.

So, my point being is that I truly don't think anyone really knows what they are voting for in Obama. He seems to be more of an idea than an actual candidate.

BTW, how can you make statement #2 when you didn't even see the results? :unsure: The point was people don't know what he stands for. I seriously doubt anyone choice generic sentence "B" because they believe "A", but knew that was McCain's position... blah, blah, blah...

I'm sure there were hundreds of questions. The internals on polls are quite extensive.

However, the issue of "issues" was brought up. It is also well known that as the banking crisis took form, Obama surged to his current lead. I also failed to mention that the same poll said Obama would better handle the economy, despite the rejection of his actual stance on the economy.

So, my point being is that I truly don't think anyone really knows what they are voting for in Obama. He seems to be more of an idea than an actual candidate.

BTW, how can you make statement #2 when you didn't even see the results? :unsure: The point was people don't know what he stands for. I seriously doubt anyone choice generic sentence "B" because they believe "A", but knew that was McCain's position... blah, blah, blah...

Empty suit?

This is Howard Stern.. How can you be shocked at anything a Shock Jock does? They wanted to prove a point and they found some people who supported that point. What they didn't tell you was how many people they had to ask before they got their desired response. You should find nothing shocking here at all. Not everyone follows the election, watches TV or reads the paper.

I remember a few years back when the Man Show did a stunt on ending Women's Suffrage. They went on a college campus and showed example after example of people, mostly women, signing a petition to end Women's Suffrage. It was flat out funny. They finally showed one woman who started to sign it when the light bulb went on and she had a "hey wait just a minute" moment.

There are many folks in this country who vote party line, vote what your spouse does, vote your hatred, vote what you think the candidate stands for, vote anti-incumbent, vote the trend, vote their ignorance or worse don't vote at all. We've got all types here folks. It's what makes our country great and what also makes governance so difficult.

Archived