GDT - 10/5 - Buffalo at Detroit - 5 EDT

FogBat

Was it just me....Or.....Could you hear the producers talking to the play by play crew doing the game on the NHL Network.

At one point in the first period and the Sabres were on the power play you could hear the producer say "Man, their power play is terrible"

My friends and I had to do a double take and thanks to tivo we went back and heard it again.

Whoever it was you could hear them talking stuff for the entire game.

Anyone else here this?

Yeah. In addition to it being preseason for the friggin goal judge and ref in Detroit (how did they NOT see that goal?), at one point, the stellar announcing crew from Detroit apologized for the background voices of the producers. They were working on the problem. Unfortunately, no such apology was given for the performance of the announcer and color guy. Mickey Rebmann may be the worst I've heard.

Luckily this one didn't count for anything but I'm a little concerned that they're going to come out this crappy this Friday when the regular season starts. From what I saw, defence was lazy, offense didn't generate hardly any real scoring chances, no rebounds or second attempts, powerplay...atrocious, no energy, just all around bad. Not that Detroit was tremendously better. I would have liked to see a better game all around as a launching point for the regular season. But, now they'll only have practice to fix a bunch of things. Especially the PP.

Roger that. I think we'll see something much different Game 1. If not, Gerbe won't be in Portland long.

Luckily this one didn't count for anything but I'm a little concerned that they're going to come out this crappy this Friday when the regular season starts. From what I saw, defence was lazy, offense didn't generate hardly any real scoring chances, no rebounds or second attempts, powerplay...atrocious, no energy, just all around bad. Not that Detroit was tremendously better. I would have liked to see a better game all around as a launching point for the regular season. But, now they'll only have practice to fix a bunch of things. Especially the PP.

I sure hope they can turn things around. Otherwise, this is going to be as long a season as the last one was.

I sure hope they can turn things around. Otherwise, this is going to be as long a season as the last one was.

Meaningless game.....it indicates very little.

Although Teppo seems to be moving well, and Rivet likes seems to like to step up into the play now and then.

They won't spend much time dissecting this.

Was it just me....Or.....Could you hear the producers talking to the play by play crew doing the game on the NHL Network.

At one point in the first period and the Sabres were on the power play you could hear the producer say "Man, their power play is terrible"

My friends and I had to do a double take and thanks to tivo we went back and heard it again.

Whoever it was you could hear them talking stuff for the entire game.

Anyone else here this?

You could hear them, although I didn't hear them say our pp sucked. Honestly though, it is looking pretty bad again this year. I don't get it. All that talent and our PP is pretty sad.

:blink:

You have me confused. Wasn't that supposed to be Martin Biron?

It was supposed to be Biron. But, ever since Conklin left Buffalo he's become an all out stud. And even though Fleury played well throughout the entire playoffs, were it not for Conklin being lights out in the regular season while Fleury was hurt, Pittsburgh may be a 4th or 5th seed instead of division champ. And, now he and Hossa join the Wings. The Wings are going to be very good this year, and if the Conklin that continually shuts out the Sabres shows up in Detroit, they are going to have a very good twosome in net this year.

I know that Detroit's PK is one of the best, but man did our PP still look awful.

Oh well, anyone else feel like both teams were like "why the %&$@ are we playing a preseason game when teams are playing their second regular season games?" Kind of half-ass game.

So, we're already four points behind the Rangers, three behind the Sens and two behind Pittsburgh. We've got some of those games-in-hand, though. Man, was I sick of being in that situation last year.

The line of Ellis, Peters and Kaleta was annoying as all hell to watch...

no reason to keep Ellis and I don't see a reason to keep kelata up either and MacArthur didn't show much. But I guess we need to keep someone until Goose gets back... who knows. No matter who they keep, they shouldn't get much ice time anyway, so it shouldn't really matter if the rest of the team plays well.

Timmy will be back for friday night and that will help in all aspects... can't wait for friday, I'm pumped for REAL games!!!

Meaningless game.....it indicates very little...

I would tend to disagree.

What I saw was the same garbage Ruff's been putting into the team for a long time now. Samuelsson goes hunting for Roy and gets away with it... and Peters goes after Downey? Egad Brain, brilliant! Samuelsson should have had his face put through the boards for that, yet Ruff continues to pussify the team by letting others get away with this #%^$#!. So yes, this game indicated that the Sabres are pushovers and you can get away with whatever you want. Not since the Drury hit has this team really stood up for its own.

This is my opinion.

no reason to keep Ellis and I don't see a reason to keep kelata up either and MacArthur didn't show much.

Honestly, any line with Peters is going to be annoying to watch. I'd much rather see Kaleta and Ellis out there with Mair. Ellis isn't great 5-on-5, though he's not that bad either and does give some options, but he can log PK time, which we desperately need from the lower lines. I haven't seen enough to write him off yet. It can't hurt to have another guy on the team that doesn't take shifts off and is willing to hit people.

no reason to keep Ellis and I don't see a reason to keep kelata up either and MacArthur didn't show much. But I guess we need to keep someone until Goose gets back... who knows. No matter who they keep, they shouldn't get much ice time anyway, so it shouldn't really matter if the rest of the team plays well.

Timmy will be back for friday night and that will help in all aspects... can't wait for friday, I'm pumped for REAL games!!!

I'll tell you what. I suffered through most of that game. It really was an uninspired effort. Here's the thing, some guys are saying big deal, it was pre-season, but Lindy Ruff said he was looking at certain guys and felt they needed to show something to earn a spot, or minutes for the team. He singled out Stafford and MacArthur for sure. Although I'd like to say something good about MacArthur (being he's a Saskatchewan guy, which is where I am) but I saw nothing from him. Stafford was invisible.

Ellis, Peters and Kaleta were useless, not in that they played terrible, but in that Lindy didn't give them any minutes to show what they got. What's the point in dressing them at all? He might have been better off keeping Gerbe and a couple other guys up for this game to give them a taste of what it's like to play the best team in the league.

I thought Sekera was okay. I think he shows enough that leads me to believe he may be a top 3 guy before long. I thought Roy looked good, probably our best player on the ice...and I liked Afinogenov. He had good effort on back-checking and tried to keep his feet moving (I did not see many others doing that for the Buff).

I would tend to disagree.

What I saw was the same garbage Ruff's been putting into the team for a long time now. Samuelsson goes hunting for Roy and gets away with it... and Peters goes after Downey? Egad Brain, brilliant! Samuelsson should have had his face put through the boards for that, yet Ruff continues to pussify the team by letting others get away with this #%^$#!. So yes, this game indicated that the Sabres are pushovers and you can get away with whatever you want. Not since the Drury hit has this team really stood up for its own.

This is my opinion.

What SHOULD'VE happened though was that Ruff should've waited for Neil to take the ice again, and sent out Peters with one thing one his mind : Golf-swing that ugly-ass pumpkin off his neck.

Honestly, any line with Peters is going to be annoying to watch. I'd much rather see Kaleta and Ellis out there with Mair. Ellis isn't great 5-on-5, though he's not that bad either and does give some options, but he can log PK time, which we desperately need from the lower lines. I haven't seen enough to write him off yet. It can't hurt to have another guy on the team that doesn't take shifts off and is willing to hit people.

Speaking of Mair, did he play?

You know what, I'm just going to come out and say it. I don't think this team has what it takes.

All the other preseason games I watched, teams had jump, players were playing hard. They were playing like it meant something.

The Sabres have looked mediocre in the preseason. And I don't think the regular season will be any different. I'd like to be optimistic that we'll see a different team this year, but I don't think so.

You guys can all tell me I'm wrong if the Sabres decide to try and look like a team that deserves to win.

You know what, I'm just going to come out and say it. I don't think this team has what it takes.

All the other preseason games I watched, teams had jump, players were playing hard. They were playing like it meant something.

The Sabres have looked mediocre in the preseason. And I don't think the regular season will be any different. I'd like to be optimistic that we'll see a different team this year, but I don't think so.

You guys can all tell me I'm wrong if the Sabres decide to try and look like a team that deserves to win.

I haven't seen much of the preseason, but from what I watched yesterday, I'm starting to agree with you.

Maybe they need to watch Miracle again to get it through their heads on what they need to do.

I haven't seen much of the preseason, but from what I watched yesterday, I'm starting to agree with you.

If this version of the team comes out and sleep walks through any part of this season, I may actually start watching/attending Amerks games.

On a side note, if they do end up sucking, Max and Timmy may not be here at the end of the year.

You could hear them, although I didn't hear them say our pp sucked. Honestly though, it is looking pretty bad again this year. I don't get it. All that talent and our PP is pretty sad.

It wasn't that they sucked, but you could hear him say "Thier power play looks terrible"

Its the "Truth" that you never hear from the announcers. Kind of refreshing.

No beating around the bush or anything.

Archived