GDT - 10/5 - Buffalo at Detroit - 5 EDT

FogBat

If this version of the team comes out and sleep walks through any part of this season, I may actually start watching/attending Amerks games.

On a side note, if they do end up sucking, Max and Timmy may not be here at the end of the year.

I don't know about Tim, but this is a contract year for Max. He needs to put up or shut up.

I don't know about Tim, but this is a contract year for Max. He needs to put up or shut up.

It's a contract year for Max (UFA), Timmy (UFA), Spacek (UFA), Kotalik (UFA), Peters (UFA), Stafford (RFA), Sekera (RFA), MacArthur (RFA) and Kaleta (RFA). Unless Stafford has a breakout year, the RFA's shouldn't be too big of a deal. Even Sekera with a good year shouldn't be too bad. As for the UFAs, I'd be surprised if more than one is on the roster next year unless something major happens with them.

It's a contract year for Max (UFA), Timmy (UFA), Spacek (UFA), Kotalik (UFA), Peters (UFA), Stafford (RFA), Sekera (RFA), MacArthur (RFA) and Kaleta (RFA). Unless Stafford has a breakout year, the RFA's shouldn't be too big of a deal. Even Sekera with a good year shouldn't be too bad. As for the UFAs, I'd be surprised if more than one is on the roster next year unless something major happens with them.

I think Spacek will be on the team next year. Sabres need the D. As for the other UFA's, I think they control their own fate. Max seems determined to play good and I'm pulling for him. Last year, the guy was never able to play at 100% because of this injury or that injury. I think Max is going to surprise people this year. There is no pressure on him.

I think Max is going to surprise people this year.

The divide on Afinogenov is really starting to intrigue me. Some people will blindly defend him and show unbridled enthusiasm for Max. Others, like myself, have seen enough of this one trick pony and want nothing to do with him ever again.

Two things that I noticed about Max in preseason:

1) He's come back harder on the backcheck.

2) He's played more physically.

Both of these things are great and would be very valuable additions to his game. However, they mean nothing if he can't figure out when to make that big move and when to play it a little safer and use his teammates. He needs to realize that if you've faked out 6 defenders (well, the same guys two or three times), you've probably made a few too many moves, not to mention that you probably aren't going toward the goal anymore. I'm far from confident that he will finally learn that this year. I've seen both sides of Max during the preseason.

The divide on Afinogenov is really starting to intrigue me. Some people will blindly defend him and show unbridled enthusiasm for Max. Others, like myself, have seen enough of this one trick pony and want nothing to do with him ever again.

Sort of like "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

That description is hilarious because the comment about the blind support basically sounds exactly like your stance, blind hatred. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people around here who don't have a clue what to think on this one and fall somewhere in the middle. I know I don't know what to expect from him this year. Yes, he's had his issues, but the fact that it's a contract year really makes me wonder what he'll do.

Archived