Pretty good attendance for informal worksouts 10 days before training camp

LabattBlue

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/435572.html

"The number of Sabres regulars in attendance Tuesday, a full 10 days before camp, was impressive. Ryan Miller tended one goal. Forwards flying up and down the ice included Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Kaleta, Mair, Andrew Peters, Pominville, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. Jaroslav Spacek, Toni Lydman, Teppo Numminen, Craig Rivet, Nathan Paetsch and Mike Weber helped patrol the blue lines."

If this report is accurate, by my count the only Sabre "regulars" not there were Paille, Vanek, Kotalik, MacArthur, Tallinder & Sekera. Not bad for informal workouts.

The captain remained hopeful he will have a new contract before the official start of camp. His agent and the Sabres have been talking long-term extensions.

I saw that too. Wasn't Pommers captain at the end of the season, though? So current captain, or reigning captain...

This line from that story definitely caught my eye:

Is Vogl jumping the gun on something there?

Good question. It started here:

“You have to keep yourself in shape,” Sabres captain Jason Pominville said.

Sabres.com also lists him as Captain. It may just be carry over from the end of last season, but I also would be surprised to see him sign an extension, then be named full-time Captain.

I don't have any links but read a couple of articles saying they will be similar to last year

i've seen the same sort of thing.

fighting for the last playoff spot.

and as much as i hate to type it, i more agree than disagree with that prediction. as i did right around the winter holidays of 06-07, i see this club as one that could place anywhere from 7-10 in the conference.

i think the only thing that would've changed that feeling, for me, would have been bringing in someone who could serve as a second line center (or at least hum the tune). but i reckon that the market of available players combined with the team's apparent long-term personnel plan combined to preclude that from happening. (and, no, i don't think we turn a sow's ear into a silk purse by moving max for a center before the season starts.)

i've seen the same sort of thing.

and as much as i hate to type it, i more agree than disagree with that prediction. as i did right around the winter holidays of 06-07, i see this club as one that could place anywhere from 7-10 in the conference.

For this team to be any better than a 7 thru 10 finisher, the following will have to happen...

1 - Roy and Pominville play out of their minds again(very possible)

2 - Miller is a lot better than last year both in games and in shootouts(I'll reserve judgement for now)

3 - Lindy uses his backup goalie and said backup goalie is capable of winning some games(I'd be amazed if this happens)

4 - Vanek decides he wants to play like a 7 mil a year hockey player(no comment)

5 - The defense actually focuses on playing defense(The addition of Rivet will help a lot, but Lydman and Tallinder have to regain their form of a couple of years ago and Teppo has to show that he still has something left in the tank to be a 5-6-7 dman).

For this team to be any better than a 7 thru 10 finisher, the following will have to happen...

You forgot:

6 - Timmy needs to stay healthy, playing 70+ games.

Without another center capable of taking that second line (unless Goose has really been working on his hands during the long off-season), when he goes down, things will fall apart again.

I wish Vanek would show up. This team needs him to improve on last season and needs him to get a quick start. The team cant afford a bad start and they need him big time, since many stars are there, i wish Vanek was among them.

And glad to see Max there. I really think we'll see a 70-80 point season from him this year.

1 - Roy and Pominville play out of their minds again(very possible)

I agree, it's likely.

2 - Miller is a lot better than last year both in games and in shootouts(I'll reserve judgement for now)

I think if your number 3 happens, 2 happens. He had personal issues at the start of last season, but the guy seemed worn out by the end middle of the year.

3 - Lindy uses his backup goalie and said backup goalie is capable of winning some games(I'd be amazed if this happens)

Lalime has better stats than TBO in recent years. Hopefully Lindy allows that to continue.

4 - Vanek decides he wants to play like a 7 mil a year hockey player(no comment)

Vanek is the new Dave Andreychuk. Since their stats are pretty similar over their first 3 years of their careers, I'll guess that Vanek rebounds in his 4th year like Dave did.

5 - The defense actually focuses on playing defense(The addition of Rivet will help a lot, but Lydman and Tallinder have to regain their form of a couple of years ago and Teppo has to show that he still has something left in the tank to be a 5-6-7 dman).

agreed.

My big question on this season is, high expecations. I truly believe, if healthy, Max, Connolly and Stafford will have solid seasons, and if one of them goes down, i think we're more then likey to see a few changes in the lines and bring in Nathan Gerbe and i think he can do well... the Sporting News hockey preview has him in the race for the calder trophy, though finishing in 4th place, with 44pt and Stamkos winning it, because he plays with better linemates and will get a full season.

My quesiton mark on this season is defense, as you guys brought up. Andrej Sekera and Mike Weber played real well last seasons as rookies. Now, Sekera is being talked about as the "Campbell replacement" and Weber is expected to start in Portland but i think alot of us expect him to be up in Buffalo sooner then later. And i've read several places the media expecting Weber to add the toughness. The hockey news predicts Weber to have the highest +/- on the Sabres, like +14 or something for the season. Obviously that indicates his above average play in his own zone. We've had these same expectations for guys like Max, Stafford and such going into last season and they failed under the pressure.

What happens if Sekera and Weber both struggle big time? Who's plan C? Paetsch? Butler? I think Paetsch is a good band-aid, but long term for the season i don't see him being a top 6 defensmen and us having a great deal of success.

Archived