Pretty good attendance for informal worksouts 10 days before training camp

LabattBlue

Info on Vanek from #26 thomasVANEK die offizielle website

dated 8.1.08

How?s your preparation for next season going?

Thomas: Well, I?ve been working out for the last seven weeks before we came over to Austria. I just relaxed over here and tried to re-energize. When I get back to Minnesota I?ll immediately start working out again. I start around 7 in the morning in the gym, around 9 I go onto the ice and after that I?m on the ergometer.

Are you working out alone?

Thomas: No, we?re a group of 20, 25 guys. That?s all NHL-, AHL- and College-players. We have a coach and work out together on the ice. I?m concentrating on getting quicker feet. It?s so important to be that one step quicker than the defender.

You had a hip-injury throughout most of the second half of the season. That?s okay now?

Thomas: Yes, there?s no pain anymore. I took three weeks off after the world championships in Innsbruck and that?s really done it.

No surgery?

Thomas: Thank god, no.

The Sabres had quite an interesting off-season again. How closely did you follow that?

Thomas: Very! I watched the draft on TV and I?m really impressed with the young guys we got. There were some good signings after that and the Rivet-trade also made me very happy.

Is there going to be something more?

Thomas: I don?t know. It?s not like the players are let into that. But I could really imagine that management is still looking for another veteran defenceman.

You wouldn?t mind a big center?

Thomas: I don?t know. I think that we?re well of on the offenisve side. Our problems last year were in our own end.

How important was the signing of goalie Ryan Miller ? for you and for the club?s image?

Thomas: Personally, I?m very happy to know that I?ve got one of the best goaltenders in the world in our net for the next years. It?s hard to say for the club or management. Of course, it?s important for other players to know that you get long and well paid contracts in Buffalo.

Rivet for Kalinin on defence ? is that enough? What do you think of Weber and Sekera?

Thomas: The youngsters were great last season. In my opinion they have earned their spot on the roster. On the other hand, another veteran wouldn?t hurt.

Teppo Numminen comes to mind.

Thomas: Yes, but I don?t know how the contract-talks are coming along. All I know is that Teppo loves it in Buffalo.

What were your highs and lows last season?

Thomas: There are no highs when you miss the playoffs. The only thing coming near to that were the championships in Innsbruck. I wouldn?t count the hat-tricks as highlights, because hockey is a team sport and therefor the early end of the season really hurt much, much more.

You really got on fire after the All-Star-Break. Didn?t you care about your multi-million-dollar contract anymore?

Thomas: I never really cared. That?s what I said all season long. I had a discussion with coach Lindy Ruff after approximately 50 games and that was the real turning point. I wasn?t punished for every mistake or bad shift after that.

How did the discussion go down like?

Thomas: I wanted to talk to Lindy, so we sat down and talked. I told him my point of view and obviously he accepted it. It?s very important for any player to have the full confidence of your coach.

dated 8.27.08

Question: What about Thomas P?ck on the Sabres roster?

Answer: He would be a good fit in my opinion, especially after losing Campbell. Tommy could be perfect in that role. All he needs is a fair chance. Sadly, I can?t help him, because the players don?t have any influence on the management. But if anybody would come up to me and ask about my opinion on Tommy I?d say exactly that.

What happens if Sekera and Weber both struggle big time? Who's plan C? Paetsch? Butler? I think Paetsch is a good band-aid, but long term for the season i don't see him being a top 6 defensmen and us having a great deal of success.

I am interested to see Butler in training camp. I had no idea that he only weighed 178(per the sabres website) which is awful thin for a blueliner who is 6'1".

Info on Vanek from #26 thomasVANEK die offizielle website

dated 8.1.08

How?s your preparation for next season going?

Thomas: Well, I?ve been ... snip ...

snip ... have any influence on the management. But if anybody would come up to me and ask about my opinion on Tommy I?d say exactly that.

Question: What?s the stiffness of your stick?

Answer: 100

wow, his wife must be happy! :thumbsup:

According to a poster on another message board i read, he claims Thomas Vanek was in practice today. As were Danny Paille and Clarke MacArthur. He also said Patrick Kane practiced with the team today.

odd? well I guess it's not training camp. Would be nice to "exchange" Max for Kane at RW. It's the same money. Com'on Pat Hometown discount in 2011. :lol:

Archived